Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Great News!

124»

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Old, lame, and weird is no way to go through life. I’m kidding, but watches are pointless. You might as well splurge for a diamond bracelet.

When the solar flare hits me and the red man will still be able to tell exact time. The rest of you are fucked.
    Yella GETS IT!!!!!!!
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Old, lame, and weird is no way to go through life. I’m kidding, but watches are pointless. You might as well splurge for a diamond bracelet.

When the solar flare hits me and the red man will still be able to tell exact time. The rest of you are fucked.
    Yella GETS IT!!!!!!!
    After watch though I’m fucked. Only one scatter gun and my vehicle is 2006 with fuel injection.
    I have the 1983 CJ-7 with extended range gas tank for just this situation. And 30 guns, with 10K rounds of ammo. Plus a sword. And I can tell time. Even have some water purification tablets somewhere in the trailer. Hey end of the world, suck it.

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Swaye said:

And, in other news, I have achieved the trade. Ended up expanding the deal to three watches and cash for two watches. Expect a piece soon on one of the two new watches. My collection is down to four watches now. I keep trading up. Last year I did a two for one trade to get my first Rolex. Later last year I did a two for one to get a really nice Omega, which I just included in the three for two deal for the two new watches.

I have discovered over the last few years as I get more into this horology bit, that as much as I love all makers of fine watches, there are only two brands that retain value if you go to trade them or need to sell them. So, I am working my entire collection toward Rolex (and that NOMOS because I simply love it and will likely never sell it). I can't afford Patek. And Rolex are expensive, because you can't get them cheaper used, so I can't have as many. More on this later perhaps. The economics of watches that is.

Did you make sure he wasn't a ... um ... a, uh, one of those ... Native American givers?

You know the Red Man likes to revisit deals. So did you trade with whitey? Actually, that can be worse, for historical reasons.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

And, in other news, I have achieved the trade. Ended up expanding the deal to three watches and cash for two watches. Expect a piece soon on one of the two new watches. My collection is down to four watches now. I keep trading up. Last year I did a two for one trade to get my first Rolex. Later last year I did a two for one to get a really nice Omega, which I just included in the three for two deal for the two new watches.

I have discovered over the last few years as I get more into this horology bit, that as much as I love all makers of fine watches, there are only two brands that retain value if you go to trade them or need to sell them. So, I am working my entire collection toward Rolex (and that NOMOS because I simply love it and will likely never sell it). I can't afford Patek. And Rolex are expensive, because you can't get them cheaper used, so I can't have as many. More on this later perhaps. The economics of watches that is.

Did you make sure he wasn't a ... um ... a, uh, one of those ... Native American givers?

You know the Red Man likes to revisit deals. So did you trade with whitey? Actually, that can be worse, for historical reasons.
    Small pox doesn’t live on steel Don Creep. hth
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Yeah, it was a white guy. When I say it was 3 watches and cash for 2 watches, I really meant 3 watches, cash and my land, for 2 watches and some beads.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Yeah, it was a white guy. When I say it was 3 watches and cash for 2 watches, I really meant 3 watches, cash and my land, for 2 watches and some beads.
    That's more like it!
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Here is my pocket watch- iirc it dates back to late 1800’s

Founders Club
    LebamDawg said:

I love it.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The Throbber got a new watch today and I'm pretty fucking proud.

• Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

LebamDawg said:

I love it.
    Second. Pocket watches are awesome. Do you ever wear it out @LebamDawg? I always thought if styled right, dudes look really sharp with one. The character Boyd Crowder from “Justified” pulled it off:

You have to be careful though, or else you start heading into steampunk territory.

If I ever find one I like I’m getting one and see if I can get it made into a sweet necklace:

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

LebamDawg said:

I love it.
    Second. Pocket watches are awesome. Do you ever wear it out @LebamDawg? I always thought if styled right, dudes look really sharp with one. The character Boyd Crowder from “Justified” pulled it off:

You have to be careful though, or else you start heading into steampunk territory.

If I ever find one I like I’m getting one and see if I can get it made into a sweet necklace:

it would take more than a "styling right" to make me look sharp. I don't wear or use it - and going out? I live in friggin' Pacific County, going out is stopping at the Chester Club for oysters (damn good by the way) and playing pool. Me and Mrs. Lebam make sure there isn't any chicken or goat poop on the boots and we are ready to go.

Steampunkers don't have to worry - I am not competition.

I am getting ready to give the watch to my kid - btw the initials on the watch are my grandpa's JSR

@Doog_de_Jour just do a search for gold pocket watchs and there are tons and they are not expensive.
    https://www.invaluable.com/elgin-pocket-watches/sc-I6P5JSZATD/
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,397
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Today I learned that Swaye should quit his job at Orkin and become a high-end watch broker.
    Founders Club

Today I learned that Swaye should quit his job at Orkin and become a high-end watch broker.

If I could do math I would.