Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2019]

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

They've been playing a safety 25 yards deep for years. Go back to some footage from last season, and there are whole games where Rapp is nowhere to be found. I used to complain quite loudly, "Why is the best tackler on the team 25 yards off the ball!?" The response from the more measured people I asked this of was usually some form of "Scoreboard, Baby." The yards/points stats didn't lie.

This year? It's not working. Due to an attempt to play football without linebackers, the "bend but don't break" defense is both bending and breaking.

Those tackles for 3-5 yard gains that BBK made that he got shit for are missed. Those runs are a lot longer this season.
    I am eating my humble pie. We can’t replace BBK
  • Options
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

They've been playing a safety 25 yards deep for years. Go back to some footage from last season, and there are whole games where Rapp is nowhere to be found. I used to complain quite loudly, "Why is the best tackler on the team 25 yards off the ball!?" The response from the more measured people I asked this of was usually some form of "Scoreboard, Baby." The yards/points stats didn't lie.

This year? It's not working. Due to an attempt to play football without linebackers, the "bend but don't break" defense is both bending and breaking.

Brock Huard marveled at the 20 yard deep safties against USC. Called it brilliant

I mean, the D has been top in the league 4 straight years

Just need to work some things out and trust the coaches and the process
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,983
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    BBK was on the team before Littleton and Feeney left. He hid the truth from us that their curse was much worse then we first expected. Its quite clear now that 'how will we replace Feeney and Littleton?' actual should have been 'how will we ever get a capable linebacker?' From the start.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

Those tackles for 3-5 yard gains that BBK made that he got shit for are missed. Those runs are a lot longer this season.
    Its also that our slot/striker corners were able to play more freely against the run and pass because they didnt have to cover for the LBs.

The entire defense is having to do their job plus extra to cover of the giant failure that is the LB group and its making everyone look worse.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tackles don't matter. Our defense is designed to funnel everything to the ILB. Literally anybody could lead the nation in tackles playing MLB in our system. BBK is just a guy.

Too bad manu and Wellington can’t just guys
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Thank God for him. I’m just happy we have a QB with an elite arm. Might at well get on board now @dflea
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Thank God for him. I’m just happy we have a QB with an elite arm. Might at well get on board now @dflea
    Jump around some now that your life has meaning. What a cool week to be Mike Damone, man.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

Jump around some now that your life has meaning. What a cool week to be Mike Damone, man.
    Get on board man, we finally have a big dick QB.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,596
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

He looks as broken as our? offense. He looks like Smith did in these interviews in 2017. The Beavs are averaging 3 points more per game than us? BTW with a fraction of the star power. I hated Miley, then I hated Smith, Then I hated Smith and Browning, then I hated just Browning, now I hate our receivers and maybe Bush. I don't want to direct my vitriol at Pete but he's making it so, so hard right now. He saved and legitimized our program but at the same time might be the single reason that we can't take the next step and be elite. My head wants to explode right now.

I’ve always hated Pete first and foremost. I was banging the drum about his offenses sucking and him being considered an offensive mastermind a joke from his first year. A lot of posters didn’t like me for it and just thought I was defending Miles.

I did think Jonathon Smith was a joke of a hire. He got promoted from QB coach at Boise State to be the OC at UW.

I was happy about Bush coming back, but he sucks. Matt Ryan’s regression should have been a sign but we discount NFL success/failure.

• Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

dflea said:

Starting to think he used on someone close to you, wife , daughters... please tell , asking for a fren
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

Starting to think he used on someone close to you, wife , daughters... please tell , asking for a fren
    Are you new?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

I know you’re being sarcastic but I actually disagree with this. His slide to not get a first against Cal was as soft as it gets.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

I know you’re being sarcastic but I actually disagree with this. His slide to not get a first against Cal was as soft as it gets.
    Ummmm. You need to take it up with the doogs who melted down on me after the Great EWU DoogFest of 2019.