Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The PORTAL

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,150
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://thejournaldaily.com/uclas-chip-kelly-uses-transfer-portal-to-replenish-young-roster-daily-bulletin/

What a difference two years can make.

The transfer portal might have worked against UCLA coach Chip Kelly when he first arrived in Westwood, but he has turned it in his favor since, acquiring talent to complement the players he has recruited and those who stuck around during the transition from Jim Mora’s staff to Kelly’s.

Going into a high-profile game against LSU that could have a major impact on recruiting, Kelly is reaping the rewards of his latest portal success with his backfield duo of Zach Charbonnet and Brittain Brown, both of whom starred in the season opener last weekend.

Charbonnet, an Oaks Christian alumnus who decided to return home after spending two seasons at Michigan, has already proven to be one of the Bruins’ biggest pickups out of the portal in 2021. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound running back rushed for 106 yards and three touchdowns on six carries (all in the first half) against Hawai’i in his UCLA debut on Saturday.

He produced a Week 0 highlight, breaking four tackles along his 47-yard trip to the end zone.

“He was one of our top guys when he was coming out of high school,” Kelly said. “When he put his name back in the portal we went after him again.

“We swung and missed the first time and we hit the second time.”

(Thanks Chip for taking Michigan's best back)

Quarterback Ethan Garbers, another Southern California native, has already proven he is next in line to become the Bruins’ top passer. Garbers dethroned Chase Griffin as the backup after an impressive performance in fall camp, after transferring in from Washington.

The former Corona del Mar standout signed with the Huskies in 2020 before deciding to return home to join the Bruins. He is still considered a redshirt freshman because of the extra year of eligibility.

“He nearly picked UCLA coming out of high school before ultimately picking Washington,” Huffman said. “When Chris Petersen retired and Jimmy Lake took over (as Washington’s head coach), UCLA took one more run at (Garbers) and he almost flipped but stuck with Washington.”

The arrival of Garbers, who did not play a single snap for the Huskies while Dylan Morris started as a redshirt freshman, helped UCLA fill a depth need with an athlete they coveted.

Redshirt sophomore receiver Kam Brown (Texas A&M) and redshirt senior linebacker Jordan Genmark Heath (Notre Dame) transferred in and both started against Hawaii.

Redshirt junior linebacker Ale Kaho, an Alabama transfer, contributed with a blocked punt that was recovered by David Priebe for a touchdown.

“It was a good decision because it was close to my family,” Kaho said. “I think the opportunity to (have them) come see me play in person was huge for me.

“I was thinking more than football but for my future as well. Coach Kelly is a great coach and has good connections with the NFL.”

Defensive lineman Jay Toia (USC) and linebacker Devin Aupiu (Notre Dame) are a pair of true freshmen who transferred in at the start of fall camp.

Toia entered the transfer portal after announcing his decision to leave USC in May. He enrolled early and found himself competing alongside the first- and second-team defense throughout the Trojans’ spring practice.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kind of an amazing article considering the last couple of years. Lots of familiar faces

We actually have no idea if this will help UCLA or not based on Hawaii

Check back tomorrow night
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    dnc said:

https://thejournaldaily.com/uclas-chip-kelly-uses-transfer-portal-to-replenish-young-roster-daily-bulletin/

The transfer portal might have worked against UCLA coach Chip Kelly when he first arrived in Westwood, but he has turned it in his favor since, acquiring talent to complement the players he has recruited and those who stuck around during the transition from Jim Mora’s staff to Kelly’s.

Going into a high-profile game against LSU that could have a major impact on recruiting, Kelly is reaping the rewards of his latest portal success with his backfield duo of Zach Charbonnet and Brittain Brown, both of whom starred in the season opener last weekend.

Charbonnet, an Oaks Christian alumnus who decided to return home after spending two seasons at Michigan, has already proven to be one of the Bruins’ biggest pickups out of the portal in 2021. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound running back rushed for 106 yards and three touchdowns on six carries (all in the first half) against Hawai’i in his UCLA debut on Saturday.

He produced a Week 0 highlight, breaking four tackles along his 47-yard trip to the end zone.

“He was one of our top guys when he was coming out of high school,” Kelly said. “When he put his name back in the portal we went after him again.

Quarterback Ethan Garbers, another Southern California native, has already proven he is next in line to become the Bruins’ top passer. Garbers dethroned Chase Griffin as the backup after an impressive performance in fall camp, after transferring in from Washington.

The former Corona del Mar standout signed with the Huskies in 2020 before deciding to return home to join the Bruins. He is still considered a redshirt freshman because of the extra year of eligibility.

“He nearly picked UCLA coming out of high school before ultimately picking Washington,” Huffman said. “When Chris Petersen retired and Jimmy Lake took over (as Washington’s head coach), UCLA took one more run at (Garbers) and he almost flipped but stuck with Washington.”

The arrival of Garbers, who did not play a single snap for the Huskies while Dylan Morris started as a redshirt freshman, helped UCLA fill a depth need with an athlete they coveted.

Redshirt sophomore receiver Kam Brown (Texas A&M) and redshirt senior linebacker Jordan Genmark Heath (Notre Dame) transferred in and both started against Hawaii.

Redshirt junior linebacker Ale Kaho, an Alabama transfer, contributed with a blocked punt that was recovered by David Priebe for a touchdown.

“It was a good decision because it was close to my family,” Kaho said. “I think the opportunity to (have them) come see me play in person was huge for me.

“I was thinking more than football but for my future as well. Coach Kelly is a great coach and has good connections with the NFL.”

Defensive lineman Jay Toia (USC) and linebacker Devin Aupiu (Notre Dame) are a pair of true freshmen who transferred in at the start of fall camp.

Toia entered the transfer portal after announcing his decision to leave USC in May. He enrolled early and found himself competing alongside the first- and second-team defense throughout the Trojans’ spring practice.

Wait, you're saying Tallahasee wasn't close to your family in Nevada?

That's not what I'm hearing???
    Tuscaloosa, dumbass!
  • Options
    TheDudeTheDude Member Posts: 87
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Kind of an amazing article considering the last couple of years. Lots of familiar faces

We actually have no idea if this will help UCLA or not based on Hawaii

Check back tomorrow night

It helped I guess
  • Options
    TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 818
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Founders Club
    What’s the over/under on when Sam Huard enters the portal?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Chip is the man
  • Options
    BeerThirtyBeerThirty Member Posts: 2,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Wait, you're saying Tallahasee wasn't close to your family in Nevada?

That's not what I'm hearing???
    Tuscaloosa, dumbass!
    Same T different bag
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    TXDawg said:

Never. Unless Damon is shut out of the next OC hire.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,986
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TXDawg said:

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam