Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Elizabeth Warren proposes 'wealth tax' on Americans with more than $50 million in assets

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

I love how creative politicians have to be when they're trying to take more money from people. If they would actually spend tax dollars on shit we wanted, or on shit that's actually necessary to maintain a healthy, civilized society, there wouldn't even be a need for taxes. People would just donate. Instead, they spend our money in the shittiest, most inefficient way possible, so they have to get creative and try to trick people into supporting tax increases by making us think "Yeah, fuck wealthy people. Those fuckers don't need all that wealth...it's just, like, sitting there totally unused, man. Those greedy, arrogant, unskilled, lazy, fat, racist good-for-nothing rich people only got rich by making me poor anyway. So let's tax the fuck out of them. Sure, that won't improve my standard of living because the government sure as fuck isn't going to make my life any better with that money. But that's not important. What's important is that I can sit here and feel good about all those wealthy people getting fucked over. Fuck yeah!"

Start voting for people that will make people’s lives better. I always see this shit about “the government”. The government is made up of people. Elect better people and you’ll get better results.

The republicans deserve a lot of credit for electing Trump. He’s not the guy but they took their shot to get away from scumbag politicians. More than I can say for a shit load of democrats that won’t even take a shot.
    Why would anyone look to the government to make their life better?
    You missed the liberation of the concentration camps? Ever driven an interstate highway? Do you own any shares of public companies? Will you lose your savings if your bank goes tits up?

Asking for a friend.
    You guys are like the Kunt who immediately start talking about Firemen and the Police the moment anyone starts talking about cutting state spending.

Providing for a national defense is right there in the Constitution. Paying for grandma's hip replacement, I can't find that shit in the Constitution.
  • Options
    MariotaTheGawdMariotaTheGawd Member Posts: 1,441
    5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

I love how creative politicians have to be when they're trying to take more money from people. If they would actually spend tax dollars on shit we wanted, or on shit that's actually necessary to maintain a healthy, civilized society, there wouldn't even be a need for taxes. People would just donate. Instead, they spend our money in the shittiest, most inefficient way possible, so they have to get creative and try to trick people into supporting tax increases by making us think "Yeah, fuck wealthy people. Those fuckers don't need all that wealth...it's just, like, sitting there totally unused, man. Those greedy, arrogant, unskilled, lazy, fat, racist good-for-nothing rich people only got rich by making me poor anyway. So let's tax the fuck out of them. Sure, that won't improve my standard of living because the government sure as fuck isn't going to make my life any better with that money. But that's not important. What's important is that I can sit here and feel good about all those wealthy people getting fucked over. Fuck yeah!"

Start voting for people that will make people’s lives better. I always see this shit about “the government”. The government is made up of people. Elect better people and you’ll get better results.

The republicans deserve a lot of credit for electing Trump. He’s not the guy but they took their shot to get away from scumbag politicians. More than I can say for a shit load of democrats that won’t even take a shot.
    You missed the liberation of the concentration camps? Ever driven an interstate highway? Do you own any shares of public companies? Will you lose your savings if your bank goes tits up?

Asking for a friend.
    You guys are like the Kunt who immediately start talking about Firemen and the Police the moment anyone starts talking about cutting state spending.

Providing for a national defense is right there in the Constitution. Paying for grandma's hip replacement, I can't find that shit in the Constitution.
    I love the self-styled constitutional scholars on this board :D
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Ike sold the interstate freeway system as national defense

Like a wall

Shit the government is supposed to do

That was how they were able to get it passed in Congress. The interstate system was seen as not only adding in National Defense but it's text book definition of Federal spending on behalf of the "General Welfare."
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,751
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

Like a wall

After saying you don't care how the tax cut was sold. Now you care how the interstate system was sold?
    Fuck off.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2019
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

You driving a tank these days, Race?

Do we need a 70% tax rate to run interstate roads

I think the bigger problem with the 70% marginal tax rate is that it wouldn't raise that much money. I've already said I'd stop fetishizing investment income. Much simpler than taxing you rich guys 70% on your declared income exceeding $10 million.
    Would be better off with a VAT approach plus a flat tax on earned income (say, somewhere between 17 and 34%, rather easily). High end consumers would pay through the nose. Poor people wouldn't.

Problem solved.

Next.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Asking for a friend.

I love the self-styled constitutional scholars on this board :D
    I'm not a Con-law scholar but I've read the damn thing.

Feel free to quote from the grandam's hip replacement clause.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,110
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2019

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

I think the bigger problem with the 70% marginal tax rate is that it wouldn't raise that much money. I've already said I'd stop fetishizing investment income. Much simpler than taxing you rich guys 70% on your declared income exceeding $10 million.
    Would be better off with a VAT approach plus a flat tax on earned income (say, somewhere between 17 and 34%, rather easily). High end consumers would pay through the nose. Poor people wouldn't.

Problem solved.

Next.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but it seems like evasion would be an ongoing problem. Much more so than with treating investment income as ordinary income.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,156
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

Problem solved.

Next.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but it seems like evasion would be an ongoing problem. Much more so than with treating investment income as ordinary income.
    Which is a proven horrible idea

Good one
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,855
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2019
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Dams and aqueducts don’t get built by private enterprise.
    Yeah, no doubt that's what he had in mind dams and aqueducts when he said:

You'd be hard pressed to any significant new dams built in this country these days anyway. Something tells me he was thing about roads and ports when he made that statement. All of those would fall into the category of "general welfare."
    I’m just breaking your balls, Bob, with a friendly reminder that throughout our history, government has improved our standard of living immensely. This is especially true of the State of California.

True though it would be damned hard to build anymore dams in today’s climate. Good thing for all you SFO folks that your forefathers damned up Yosemite before anyone cared about the environment.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,110
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

Problem solved.

Next.

Which is a proven horrible idea

Good one
    Proven how?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Asking for a friend.

Read the general welfare clause.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Asking for a friend.

Read repeating your same line of bullshit doesn't improve it Hondo.

If "general welfare" was supposed to mean providing citizens with healthcare why didn't it start doing so until the 20th Century Hondo?

• Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

You'd be hard pressed to any significant new dams built in this country these days anyway. Something tells me he was thing about roads and ports when he made that statement. All of those would fall into the category of "general welfare."
    I’m just breaking your balls, Bob, with a friendly reminder that throughout our history, government has improved our standard of living immensely. This is especially true of the State of California.

True though it would be damned hard to build anymore dams in today’s climate. Good thing for all you SFO folks that your forefathers damned up Yosemite before anyone cared about the environment.
    Government has a role in building infrastructure and facilitating trade and enforcing the rule of law all of these are collective goods and part of the general welfare.

Where government fails and where far too many people now think that it is a proper role of government is when it starts trying to deal with the certainties of life instead of leaving that up to the individual.

You will get old, you will get sick and you will die. It's not the role of a Federal government deal with the certainties of life on a individual basis.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

The wealth tax is an excise tax on wealth. I agree it's not Constitutional. But my point stands.

It’s not though. The term “Excise tax” has a definition. And a tax on property is not an excise tax.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The leftists mentality...the government is responsible for making my life better.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Asking for a friend.

Read it for comprehension. I don’t think you have.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ah nothing like a thread of HCH whining about the evils of taxing the uber wealthy.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,855
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Government has a role in building infrastructure and facilitating trade and enforcing the rule of law all of these are collective goods and part of the general welfare.

Where government fails and where far too many people now think that it is a proper role of government is when it starts trying to deal with the certainties of life instead of leaving that up to the individual.

You will get old, you will get sick and you will die. It's not the role of a Federal government deal with the certainties of life on a individual basis.
    Agree.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

Problem solved.

Next.

You pay the VAT tax when you buy the goods. Collection is super easy.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Like a wall

Problem solved.

Next.

You pay the VAT tax when you buy the goods. Collection is super easy.

It’s the only tax I find somewhat tolerable. A tax on income (productivity) is fucking stupid.