Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jay'Veon Sunday, 2020 3* RB, Waco (Connally), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited May 2019

WOOOOOO! I LOVE THIS KID! He's fucking awesome.

Traits like balance, strength, power, durability, and physicality are just as important, and a lot of times, more important for running backs than straight line speed. Sunday does not have blazing speed, we know that, but he does have adequate speed to break off long runs and what he lacks in speed he makes up for with power. He's an NFL talent because the NFL loves backs like him. That's why Josh Jacobs just went in the first round after running a 4.6 at the combine.

Sunday has the potential to be the next Frank Gore. He's built just like him and isn't afraid to run straight through traffic and bodies just like Gore. I have no doubt he'll improve his speed and burst at UW and be a beast for us. If you don't look at our current roster and understand that we need to add physicality to the running back position to compete with the big boys, I can't help you, you're just that fucking dumb. The most physical running back on our roster right now is literally Jamyn Patu. The only guys who even look the part are Ahmed and Newton.

This kid can bench 300+ lbs and squat 500+ lbs as a Junior in fucking high school. That's very rare strength and word from his HS coach is that he's a very hard worker. How can you not be excited about what he could become after a couple years with Socha? He's going to run through tackles and drag pussy ass Pac-12 defenders. I don't think anyone will be complaining when he's averaging 6 to 8 yards per carry for us. It would also be nice having a RB who's jacked like he is and can stand up a linebacker in pass protection instead of having to try to cut him like a pussy.

Great pick up!

Chinteresting considering:

WTF is KB doing? This kid sucks. Looks like he's running in slow motion.

He literally hasn't played a single game in between these comments.

Ballz gonna Ballz.
    Yep, knew someone was gonna bump that. Am I not allowed to have hot takes every once in a while? Am I not allowed to change my mind after further analysis? Compared to a guy like Bijan, yeah, he does look like he's moving in slow motion but they are different style backs. Sunday isn't outrunning guys while Bijan also isn't breaking a lot of tackles. What will happen in college when Bijan can no longer run circles around shitty white kids in Arizona? Will he shy away from contact? Or will he run between the tackles like he has a pair? I don't know. What I do know is Sunday definitely won't shy away from contact. Not dooging and saying Sunday will be better than Bijan. Just saying it took me a couple days after he was offered to realize he's a different type of back who has some appealing traits and will easily grow into that big, power back that we need.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Just some other food for thought:

I was reading the Athletic’s State of the Program review for TCU that came out this week and thee was a really interesting quote from Patterson about how TCU has more respect outside of Texas than within it from a HS coach/recruiting standpoint

Patterson is famously... prickly. It seems to me that GP & CP have a lot in common with how they run their programs (e.g. both sincerely hate spring games) and have faced similar hurdles, particularly in recruiting.

While UW has recruited better than TCU for the most part under CP, IMO both programs have suffered from "translating success as an “over achiever” into becoming the 'it' school for recruits. It’s hard for guys that make their way as hard-nosed, cultural enforcers to make the conversion to being big time salesmen" (h/t Ian Boyd).

I think there are even more comparisons (TCU vs. UT, UW vs. Oregon) but I think ultimately the core "issue" for UW in recruiting is what I mentioned above.
    This is a fair take on the programs

I’m not sure I 100% agree on the Spring Game as TCU historically have had one ... this year injuries essentially cancelled it

Patterson promotes his program more than Pete does and has to in reality

Either way, both are elite coaches that continually turn out good players and teams. I kind of laugh when I hear people say that they are too much of a hard ass or what not ... essentially tells me that the player/HS coach is soft

There are a ton of Patterson stories I hear that I don’t share ... but I think a lot would surprise people. It’s not like TCU hasn’t had their fair share of off field issues over the years.
    Why the fuck would you not share your Patterson stories? For Christ's sake Teq, you don't sit on the board of regents.
    Too long ... don’t want to type them
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,412
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

Traits like balance, strength, power, durability, and physicality are just as important, and a lot of times, more important for running backs than straight line speed. Sunday does not have blazing speed, we know that, but he does have adequate speed to break off long runs and what he lacks in speed he makes up for with power. He's an NFL talent because the NFL loves backs like him. That's why Josh Jacobs just went in the first round after running a 4.6 at the combine.

Sunday has the potential to be the next Frank Gore. He's built just like him and isn't afraid to run straight through traffic and bodies just like Gore. I have no doubt he'll improve his speed and burst at UW and be a beast for us. If you don't look at our current roster and understand that we need to add physicality to the running back position to compete with the big boys, I can't help you, you're just that fucking dumb. The most physical running back on our roster right now is literally Jamyn Patu. The only guys who even look the part are Ahmed and Newton.

This kid can bench 300+ lbs and squat 500+ lbs as a Junior in fucking high school. That's very rare strength and word from his HS coach is that he's a very hard worker. How can you not be excited about what he could become after a couple years with Socha? He's going to run through tackles and drag pussy ass Pac-12 defenders. I don't think anyone will be complaining when he's averaging 6 to 8 yards per carry for us. It would also be nice having a RB who's jacked like he is and can stand up a linebacker in pass protection instead of having to try to cut him like a pussy.

Great pick up!

Pinch me if he's averaging 8 yards per carry. Ahmed is a home-run hitter and he averaged 5.8. Gaskin averaged 5.6. I appreciate your enthusiasm though. I like him a lot too.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

Great pick up!

Ballz gonna Ballz.
    Yep, knew someone was gonna bump that. Am I not allowed to have hot takes every once in a while? Am I not allowed to change my mind after further analysis? Compared to a guy like Bijan, yeah, he does look like he's moving in slow motion but they are different style backs. Sunday isn't outrunning guys while Bijan also isn't breaking a lot of tackles. What will happen in college when Bijan can no longer run circles around shitty white kids in Arizona? Will he shy away from contact? Or will he run between the tackles like he has a pair? I don't know. What I do know is Sunday definitely won't shy away from contact. Not dooging and saying Sunday will be better than Bijan. Just saying it took me a couple days after he was offered to realize he's a different type of back who has some appealing traits and will easily grow into that big, power back that we need.
    Further analysis=commitment.

We get it, you and BigErn never bash the kids. Just be transparent about it.
    Not true, I started liking him months ago when I stalked him on Twitter and saw his physique in visit pictures. 🍆
  • Options
    Founders Club

Great pick up!

Ballz gonna Ballz.
    Further analysis=commitment.

We get it, you and BigErn never bash the kids. Just be transparent about it.
    I bash kids after I see them touch a college football field or a college basketball court. See: Sam Timmins.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    FirePete said:

I love he runs with a really wide base which lowers his center of gravity. I think there’s something to crazy legs runners being super hard to judge angles on and being harder to tackle as long as they have a certain speed threshold.

U posted that his running style needs work. Don’t ballz out on us fudgepack
    It does he needs to narrow it a bit more to be more efficient and explosive. But wide bases are a good thing
  • Options
    For those saying Sunday looks slow ... there are few instances at best on his tape where he was caught from behind and more often than not upon hitting hole he’s accelerating away

The speed looks deceptive to me given his running style
  • Options
    To Roadies point ... I see Sunday being difficult to tackle 1 on 1 ... that’s where I see the Lynch logic

He’s strong enough in the lower half that I see a lot of guys bouncing off of him
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

Great pick up!

Pinch me if he's averaging 8 yards per carry. Ahmed is a home-run hitter and he averaged 5.8. Gaskin averaged 5.6. I appreciate your enthusiasm though. I like him a lot too.
    Coleman averaged like 7.5 his junior year. The home run hitting threat is overrated. A lot of Ahmed’s big runs were on reverses.

Dwayne Washington always had a good average per carry, but that was because he was an all or nothing guy. He wasn’t a very good RB for UW.

For RB’s, it’s about breaking tackles once you get to the 2nd level. Unless you have unreal speed like John Ross, it’s the same for WR’s. And Ross did break tackles and make guys miss on shorter routes.

It’s not just about speed. I can easily see safeties being scared to tackle Sunday 10 yards downfield.
    You know what? When you put it like that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f7fbT3ldL8

I stand corrected. Sunday could definitely have a 6-8 YPC.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Apparently the 247 analysis says that he "plays in a very good league." Watch the tape - that is some of the worse tackling I've seen in my life. Some kids didn't even try.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,605
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Saw on reddit this kid has power cleaned 300 pounds at a Texas weighlifting event

If that is true, he is fucking strong.

I am expecting us to have to hold off late offers from Texas, A&M, Tech, etc.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,918
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Saw on reddit this kid has power cleaned 300 pounds at a Texas weighlifting event

If that is true, he is fucking strong.

I am expecting us to have to hold off late offers from Texas, A&M, Tech, etc.

He deadlifts like 575. That's a shitload for a highschooler