Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jay'Veon Sunday, 2020 3* RB, Waco (Connally), TX (Committed)

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    whuggy said:

Swaye said:

RealRhino said:

I screwed up the quote thing, so I'll do it manually:

Swaye: This is actually a good point. One I hadn't thought of. Might have merit. Plus the kid is black. And named Jay'Veon. I'd rather have Bijon, but this isn't a totally terrible situation.

I think I am mostly bothered by Low Hanging Fruit Boner mailing it in again. Lazy as fuck. A koala has more energy.

Me: Getting a black guy from Texas is not low-hanging fruit.

Also (re Corleone's post), we got a visit from Kendall Milton. That's a sniff, yes? For whatever reason it seems as if he wasn't impressed with us. And how do we know we "took" his commitment (rather than him deciding the time was right) and it's related to Bijan's visit at all?

I obviously don't know their recruiting board, but we offered Bijan mid-'17, Ngata Feb '18, Adams Nov '18, Sunday early Jan '19, and Sevion Morrison late Jan '19. As far as I know, we don't have any other open RB offers. That suggests to me Sunday was in that top tier. Maybe a slight fallback plan, but not very far back. This isn't the "local 3-star that you take near the end of the cycle when it's clear you aren't going to land your big fish" type of offer.

I'll end with what I consider some interesting stuff. Maybe you guys are such film-grinding eval stars that you won't care, but maybe it'll give you pause. Why do some people seem down on this guy relative to our other targets? His athleticism, right? He's "slow ride," right? Chew on this:

He runs a faster 100M than Gee Scott.
    He runs a faster 200M than Sam Adams, Gee Scott and Ayden Hector.
    Bijan claims he runs a 4.5 (as of 9/3/18), but at some point he did one of those testing events and he posted a 4.77 40 at the same size as Sunday. So either he had a bad day or he's not being completely truthful. Or he's lowered his time through work (he himself claimed he lowered it from 4.6 to 4.5. so maybe he lowered it from 4.77 to 4.6 to 4.5). Sunday's coach said he runs a 4.5 40. Even allowing for some exaggeration, it's possible he's actually pretty close to Bijan.

Hey RR. Don't worry, I do it manually all the time. lulz

Also, I am basing low hanging fruit off of his offer sheet, which is totally unspectacular. But, I did/do agree with the notion that we offered early, so clearly to our coaches, and based off your timeline, he was number 4 on our board out of 5. Hell, Adams, who is elite to me, is 3rd on our board. I actually prefer Adams to Ngata, but what do I know. I'd slot him second behind Bijan.

If we end up with Adams and Sunday, then we got the numbers 3 and 4 RBs on our coaches board, and one of them is borderline elite so overall it would be a success. But Boner has shown a tendency to just mail it in for years and always lay down the bunt instead of swinging for the fences. My opinion.
    A little bit off topic but the thing that bothers me the most about Bhonapa is he is the Recruiting Coordinator. Maybe it's just a title without any influence but seems to me that title or position should go to someone a bit higher up the success ladder when it comes to closing targets. All I can figure out is that he is extremely good at shuffling papers or arranging travel schedules because nothing else about how he does the recruiting part of his job stands out.
    Agree. He seems to be a good coach because all our RBs have been nails, so he gets credit for that. But he is always making chip shots on the crootin trail and seems sort of lazy and uninspired to me. How he is the coordinator of something so important boggles my mind.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I really like this kid. Has great instincts and patience, balance, and toughness.
  • Options
    TrumpsWallTrumpsWall Member Posts: 466
    Hoping someday we can change his name to varsity eon
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,412
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Meek said:

I really like this kid. Has great instincts and patience, balance, and toughness.

You also gotta like the way he goose steps his way into end zones like a good soldier.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,301
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

RealRhino said:

I screwed up the quote thing, so I'll do it manually:

Swaye: This is actually a good point. One I hadn't thought of. Might have merit. Plus the kid is black. And named Jay'Veon. I'd rather have Bijon, but this isn't a totally terrible situation.

I think I am mostly bothered by Low Hanging Fruit Boner mailing it in again. Lazy as fuck. A koala has more energy.

Me: Getting a black guy from Texas is not low-hanging fruit.

Also (re Corleone's post), we got a visit from Kendall Milton. That's a sniff, yes? For whatever reason it seems as if he wasn't impressed with us. And how do we know we "took" his commitment (rather than him deciding the time was right) and it's related to Bijan's visit at all?

I obviously don't know their recruiting board, but we offered Bijan mid-'17, Ngata Feb '18, Adams Nov '18, Sunday early Jan '19, and Sevion Morrison late Jan '19. As far as I know, we don't have any other open RB offers. That suggests to me Sunday was in that top tier. Maybe a slight fallback plan, but not very far back. This isn't the "local 3-star that you take near the end of the cycle when it's clear you aren't going to land your big fish" type of offer.

I'll end with what I consider some interesting stuff. Maybe you guys are such film-grinding eval stars that you won't care, but maybe it'll give you pause. Why do some people seem down on this guy relative to our other targets? His athleticism, right? He's "slow ride," right? Chew on this:

He runs a faster 100M than Gee Scott.
    He runs a faster 200M than Sam Adams, Gee Scott and Ayden Hector.
    Bijan claims he runs a 4.5 (as of 9/3/18), but at some point he did one of those testing events and he posted a 4.77 40 at the same size as Sunday. So either he had a bad day or he's not being completely truthful. Or he's lowered his time through work (he himself claimed he lowered it from 4.6 to 4.5. so maybe he lowered it from 4.77 to 4.6 to 4.5). Sunday's coach said he runs a 4.5 40. Even allowing for some exaggeration, it's possible he's actually pretty close to Bijan.

Hey RR. Don't worry, I do it manually all the time. lulz

Also, I am basing low hanging fruit off of his offer sheet, which is totally unspectacular. But, I did/do agree with the notion that we offered early, so clearly to our coaches, and based off your timeline, he was number 4 on our board out of 5. Hell, Adams, who is elite to me, is 3rd on our board. I actually prefer Adams to Ngata, but what do I know. I'd slot him second behind Bijan.

If we end up with Adams and Sunday, then we got the numbers 3 and 4 RBs on our coaches board, and one of them is borderline elite so overall it would be a success. But Boner has shown a tendency to just mail it in for years and always lay down the bunt instead of swinging for the fences. My opinion.
    @Swaye can't read so he couldn't remember this but some of us have seen their big board. He was a clever red man and figured it out anyways. They had 5 RB's targeted for 2020 confirmed. Sunday wasn't the top target confirmed(duh). I'll be perfectly happy if he's the 2nd back in a 2 back class that fills out the lower middle depth of this class.
  • Options
    TacoSoupTacoSoup Member Posts: 148
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Just some other food for thought:

I was reading the Athletic’s State of the Program review for TCU that came out this week and thee was a really interesting quote from Patterson about how TCU has more respect outside of Texas than within it from a HS coach/recruiting standpoint

Patterson is famously... prickly. It seems to me that GP & CP have a lot in common with how they run their programs (e.g. both sincerely hate spring games) and have faced similar hurdles, particularly in recruiting.

While UW has recruited better than TCU for the most part under CP, IMO both programs have suffered from "translating success as an “over achiever” into becoming the 'it' school for recruits. It’s hard for guys that make their way as hard-nosed, cultural enforcers to make the conversion to being big time salesmen" (h/t Ian Boyd).

I think there are even more comparisons (TCU vs. UT, UW vs. Oregon) but I think ultimately the core "issue" for UW in recruiting is what I mentioned above.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Tequilla said:

The criticisms of Boner are more than fair ... landing Adams is a MUST for him

There’s a ton of talent in Texas but Waco is 4th on the list in terms of areas behind Houston, DFW, and Austin ... Waco kicks just about every league in Washington out of the water though

For those that think that Texas recruiting doesn’t have upside this is a good example of some influence materializing ... it’s not that we got Sunday but it’s that we got him before the summer of his senior year

I was reading the Athletic’s State of the Program review for TCU that came out this week and thee was a really interesting quote from Patterson about how TCU has more respect outside of Texas than within it from a HS coach/recruiting standpoint ... it was a really telling quote for me because the general takeaway for me is that there’s a definite mindset in Texas about one upping others and being elite and that mixed with a good % that will just never leave Texas no matter what. If you can get the messaging right where UW is viewed as elite and a title contender, you’ve got a good chance going forward.

Moreover, the overall talent in Texas is such that you get guys like LJ Collier that are massively under recruited and turn out to be high end draft picks.

It wouldn’t shock me at all if Sunday gets some more attention as his senior season goes on ... signing with Washington will get people’s attention.

technically, Sunday can't sign until Thursday, December 19.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

I was reading the Athletic’s State of the Program review for TCU that came out this week and thee was a really interesting quote from Patterson about how TCU has more respect outside of Texas than within it from a HS coach/recruiting standpoint

Patterson is famously... prickly. It seems to me that GP & CP have a lot in common with how they run their programs (e.g. both sincerely hate spring games) and have faced similar hurdles, particularly in recruiting.

While UW has recruited better than TCU for the most part under CP, IMO both programs have suffered from "translating success as an “over achiever” into becoming the 'it' school for recruits. It’s hard for guys that make their way as hard-nosed, cultural enforcers to make the conversion to being big time salesmen" (h/t Ian Boyd).

I think there are even more comparisons (TCU vs. UT, UW vs. Oregon) but I think ultimately the core "issue" for UW in recruiting is what I mentioned above.
    This is a fair take on the programs

I’m not sure I 100% agree on the Spring Game as TCU historically have had one ... this year injuries essentially cancelled it

Patterson promotes his program more than Pete does and has to in reality

Either way, both are elite coaches that continually turn out good players and teams. I kind of laugh when I hear people say that they are too much of a hard ass or what not ... essentially tells me that the player/HS coach is soft

There are a ton of Patterson stories I hear that I don’t share ... but I think a lot would surprise people. It’s not like TCU hasn’t had their fair share of off field issues over the years.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited May 2019
    WOOOOOO! I LOVE THIS KID! He's fucking awesome.

Traits like balance, strength, power, durability, and physicality are just as important, and a lot of times, more important for running backs than straight line speed. Sunday does not have blazing speed, we know that, but he does have adequate speed to break off long runs and what he lacks in speed he makes up for with power. He's an NFL talent because the NFL loves backs like him. That's why Josh Jacobs just went in the first round after running a 4.6 at the combine.

Sunday has the potential to be the next Frank Gore. He's built just like him and isn't afraid to run straight through traffic and bodies just like Gore. I have no doubt he'll improve his speed and burst at UW and be a beast for us. If you don't look at our current roster and understand that we need to add physicality to the running back position to compete with the big boys, I can't help you, you're just that fucking dumb. The most physical running back on our roster right now is literally Jamyn Patu. The only guys who even look the part are Ahmed and Newton.

This kid can bench 300+ lbs and squat 500+ lbs as a Junior in fucking high school. That's very rare strength and word from his HS coach is that he's a very hard worker. How can you not be excited about what he could become after a couple years with Socha? He's going to run through tackles and drag pussy ass Pac-12 defenders. I don't think anyone will be complaining when he's averaging 6 to 8 yards per carry for us. It would also be nice having a RB who's jacked like he is and can stand up a linebacker in pass protection instead of having to try to cut him like a pussy.

Great pick up!
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    I love he runs with a really wide base which lowers his center of gravity. I think there’s something to crazy legs runners being super hard to judge angles on and being harder to tackle as long as they have a certain speed threshold.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

I love he runs with a really wide base which lowers his center of gravity. I think there’s something to crazy legs runners being super hard to judge angles on and being harder to tackle as long as they have a certain speed threshold.

U posted that his running style needs work. Don’t ballz out on us fudgepack
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2019
    Tequilla said:

The criticisms of Boner are more than fair ... landing Adams is a MUST for him

There’s a ton of talent in Texas but Waco is 4th on the list in terms of areas behind Houston, DFW, and Austin ... Waco kicks just about every league in Washington out of the water though

For those that think that Texas recruiting doesn’t have upside this is a good example of some influence materializing ... it’s not that we got Sunday but it’s that we got him before the summer of his senior year

I was reading the Athletic’s State of the Program review for TCU that came out this week and thee was a really interesting quote from Patterson about how TCU has more respect outside of Texas than within it from a HS coach/recruiting standpoint ... it was a really telling quote for me because the general takeaway for me is that there’s a definite mindset in Texas about one upping others and being elite and that mixed with a good % that will just never leave Texas no matter what. If you can get the messaging right where UW is viewed as elite and a title contender, you’ve got a good chance going forward.

Moreover, the overall talent in Texas is such that you get guys like LJ Collier that are massively under recruited and turn out to be high end draft picks.

It wouldn’t shock me at all if Sunday gets some more attention as his senior season goes on ... signing with Washington will get people’s attention.

Sunday looks slow and awkward, he think gets moved to “FB” after his RS year and then transfer portals away to Texas state or Baylor or something in a year or two. But I’m not a teen boy stalker expert so who gives a fuck.

That being said... it’s all about cost/value of recruits like these. If it costs the same amount of resources to pull some 3 star from Texas as it does from Washington/Oregon I think you prefer the Texas guy.

The problem is I don’t think it does. The reality is that UW is less known than UH, Tech, Baylor, or TCU in Texas at this point. It’s much more likely that WE are spending a ton of resources to go after recruits we either won’t get out of the south or recruits that are so overlooked we actually have a chance at getting.

Given people’s complaints about lack of resources being spent on local recruits in the PNW this cycle, I’m not sure it’s really worth it.

TLDR: if we are filling out the backend of classes by stealing an overlooked recruit or two from the south after cleaning up the west coast that’s fine. If we are trying to build the program around a significant number of key players coming from Texas+south it’s likely a process that will lead to failure.