Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Adidas Gear showing up at UW Bookstore

124»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Clevdawg said:

For the record: Jesse Owens won his medals in 36 Olympics wearing Adidas. Which stands for Adolf Dassler not the other guy. However, the firm did supply the youth organizations of Germany in the 30’s. Industrialists of the time Porsche , Mercedes, BMW, Krupp, Bayer played their part in World war 2. While we are at it, don’t think your safe going with General Motors. They supplied the trucks and the tooling for the wait for it........ Opel Blitz. The truck was the base transport used in the “ Blitz Krieg”. Ford Motor company ? Too controversial to make a toasty poast here. But for a real head scratcher check out Hugo Boss. That being said, I do believe given the support Nike gives to the community college down south we should never give them a dime.

Henry Ford bobbed on Hitler’s knob and was a noted anti Semite
    You drive Ford? Sounds pour.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

PS: I don't get the Nike hate. Consider, if one can get past the juvenile Oregon obsession:

1. Vanguard company. Leads. Does not follow. Creates. Does not limit itself to perfecting that which others created. Sometimes groups like that challenge the status quo too much and alienate small-minded people. Who cares? Don't be one of those people.

2. American company. For all the neopopulists obsessed with "but but globalism", here's your huckleberry. Nike = American. Adidas = German Eurotrash with actual Nazi history.

3. PNW company. One of the success stories of the greatest region of the United States, hands down.

4. Has done more than any other player in the space to elevate the importance and visibility of sports, which is one of my (and your) favorite social institutions. Argue it at the margins if you must and want to waste your breath. But it's a fact that is hard to dispute.

5. Because of #4, they've helped schools and leagues, pro and otherwise, create tremendous value.

6. They support their athletes. Whether you agree with Kap or not (I myself don't see the issue), they didn't leave him when he became unpopular, and they made the right call.

7. I want to quit hearing about sweat shops. I'm typing, and you're reading, on an instrument made by the same people down the block from the Nike outsource. It's a stupid fucking point. Name of the game is capitalism. If everything were made here, our collective standard of living would drop dramatically. Ask the local economists on the board if you don't understand this poont.

8. Nike wasn't founded by Nazi pigs.

9. Again, for the neopopulism globalism freaks, Adidas is a Eurotrash company. Notice, the "Adi" in addidas is German familiar for "Adolph". That's right; you're shitting on the graves of WWII vets. Be ashamed.

10. Adidas is popular right now because they're better at retro than Nike. Nike, at its core, is about innovation and moving forward. It's who they are. Adidas just knows what people want right now. That will change.

11. UA is just a shitty two-bit company. And what they did with Maryland is just permanently embarrassing.

This is just such bullshit in so many standpoints ...

1) Innovation is all in the eyes of the beholder ... Adidas has been around longer which by default means that they've driven innovation as well. Jesse Owens in 1936? Perhaps you should look that one up.

2) Nazi history? Again, see Jesse Owens in 1936. Let's just say that Owens wasn't the ideal symbolism of Nazi Germany.

3) As others noted, the NA HQ for Adidas is also in the greater Portland area. So whatever there ... I get the Nike love and that's all well and good but Adidas continues their strengths while Nike has theirs.

4 + 5) There's a lot of North American bias in these comments ... you could make a comparable comment for Europe and change for soccer, etc. Whatever.

6) Fuck Kap ... not because I either agree or disagree with him, his stance, etc. I do think he's likely been viewed as not worth the risk for NFL teams and likewise Kap's not interested in being a backup. At this point, it's not good for his brand to be a backup and that's fine. Nike has stood by him and whatnot and good for them. For some, that will resonate and increase their band loyalty for Nike. For others, it will alienate them and whatnot. The Kap issue just doesn't register to me when comparing the two.

7) Generally agree with your comments here ... although there's a difference between sweat shops and areas of the country where what are seemingly super low wages here are actually quite good wages elsewhere.

8 + 9) Adidas was founded well before Adolf Hitler was anywhere near the area of power. One of the founders of the Dassler Brothers Shoe Company was Adolf Dassler ... upon splitting with his brother (who essentially founded Puma after the split), Adolf created Adidas buy combining the first 3 letters of his first name (in nickname form) "Adi" with the first 3 letters of his last name (das) ... hence Adidas. As noted, Adolf Dassler personally persuaded Jesse Owens to wear his shoe in 1936 (not a great political move if he was into that). I'm not going to claim to know how involved either of the brothers were within the Nazi party (brief research would suggest it was more Adi's brother Rudolf that was but who knows) ... I can't imagine it was easy to be out during that time period so who knows. Regardless, that's 70+ years ago at that point and those tied to the Company aren't tied to that so it's whatever to me at this point.

10) Adidas isn't popular because of the retro design ... they are popular because they offer clean products and their products provide good value/fit versus Nike at the moment. Regardless of the product at this point, I find the Adidas product to be more of a comfortable fit.

11) Under Armour lost their way for a bit ... at one point they offered a product that fit more comparable to Adidas than Nike. Frankly, I don't like Nike's fit that well in most things. It'll be interesting to see what UA does in the next few years.

The biggest thing to me with Nike and UW is that UW will NEVER be the primary focus for Nike given that they'll always make sure that Oregon's going to get the primary attention. The best thing for UW is to have a business partner that has their own motivations to provide us comparable attention. We're going to get Adidas's attention and branding. Our branding fits much better with the crisp and clean approach. It fits the school. It fits the program. It fits our style. It's the branding that the program needs to address. Adidas is going to be right there in prioritizing it. It's honesty a no brainer for UW to be with Adidas and vice versa.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,777
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Clevdawg said:

For the record: Jesse Owens won his medals in 36 Olympics wearing Adidas. Which stands for Adolf Dassler not the other guy. However, the firm did supply the youth organizations of Germany in the 30’s. Industrialists of the time Porsche , Mercedes, BMW, Krupp, Bayer played their part in World war 2. While we are at it, don’t think your safe going with General Motors. They supplied the trucks and the tooling for the wait for it........ Opel Blitz. The truck was the base transport used in the “ Blitz Krieg”. Ford Motor company ? Too controversial to make a toasty poast here. But for a real head scratcher check out Hugo Boss. That being said, I do believe given the support Nike gives to the community college down south we should never give them a dime.

Henry Ford bobbed on Hitler’s knob and was a noted anti Semite
    You drive Ford? Sounds pour.
    No bruh. We drive them oriental rides. Nissan and Toyota-san.

With big ass gun racks.
  • Options
    ClevdawgClevdawg Member Posts: 118
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Well said Tequila
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

PS: I don't get the Nike hate. Consider, if one can get past the juvenile Oregon obsession:

1. Vanguard company. Leads. Does not follow. Creates. Does not limit itself to perfecting that which others created. Sometimes groups like that challenge the status quo too much and alienate small-minded people. Who cares? Don't be one of those people.

2. American company. For all the neopopulists obsessed with "but but globalism", here's your huckleberry. Nike = American. Adidas = German Eurotrash with actual Nazi history.

3. PNW company. One of the success stories of the greatest region of the United States, hands down.

4. Has done more than any other player in the space to elevate the importance and visibility of sports, which is one of my (and your) favorite social institutions. Argue it at the margins if you must and want to waste your breath. But it's a fact that is hard to dispute.

5. Because of #4, they've helped schools and leagues, pro and otherwise, create tremendous value.

6. They support their athletes. Whether you agree with Kap or not (I myself don't see the issue), they didn't leave him when he became unpopular, and they made the right call.

7. I want to quit hearing about sweat shops. I'm typing, and you're reading, on an instrument made by the same people down the block from the Nike outsource. It's a stupid fucking point. Name of the game is capitalism. If everything were made here, our collective standard of living would drop dramatically. Ask the local economists on the board if you don't understand this poont.

9. Again, for the neopopulism globalism freaks, Adidas is a Eurotrash company. Notice, the "Adi" in addidas is German familiar for "Adolph". That's right; you're shitting on the graves of WWII vets. Be ashamed.

10. Adidas is popular right now because they're better at retro than Nike. Nike, at its core, is about innovation and moving forward. It's who they are. Adidas just knows what people want right now. That will change.

11. UA is just a shitty two-bit company. And what they did with Maryland is just permanently embarrassing.

1) Innovation is all in the eyes of the beholder ... Adidas has been around longer which by default means that they've driven innovation as well. Jesse Owens in 1936? Perhaps you should look that one up.

2) Nazi history? Again, see Jesse Owens in 1936. Let's just say that Owens wasn't the ideal symbolism of Nazi Germany.

3) As others noted, the NA HQ for Adidas is also in the greater Portland area. So whatever there ... I get the Nike love and that's all well and good but Adidas continues their strengths while Nike has theirs.

4 + 5) There's a lot of North American bias in these comments ... you could make a comparable comment for Europe and change for soccer, etc. Whatever.

6) Fuck Kap ... not because I either agree or disagree with him, his stance, etc. I do think he's likely been viewed as not worth the risk for NFL teams and likewise Kap's not interested in being a backup. At this point, it's not good for his brand to be a backup and that's fine. Nike has stood by him and whatnot and good for them. For some, that will resonate and increase their band loyalty for Nike. For others, it will alienate them and whatnot. The Kap issue just doesn't register to me when comparing the two.

7) Generally agree with your comments here ... although there's a difference between sweat shops and areas of the country where what are seemingly super low wages here are actually quite good wages elsewhere.

8 + 9) Adidas was founded well before Adolf Hitler was anywhere near the area of power. One of the founders of the Dassler Brothers Shoe Company was Adolf Dassler ... upon splitting with his brother (who essentially founded Puma after the split), Adolf created Adidas buy combining the first 3 letters of his first name (in nickname form) "Adi" with the first 3 letters of his last name (das) ... hence Adidas. As noted, Adolf Dassler personally persuaded Jesse Owens to wear his shoe in 1936 (not a great political move if he was into that). I'm not going to claim to know how involved either of the brothers were within the Nazi party (brief research would suggest it was more Adi's brother Rudolf that was but who knows) ... I can't imagine it was easy to be out during that time period so who knows. Regardless, that's 70+ years ago at that point and those tied to the Company aren't tied to that so it's whatever to me at this point.

10) Adidas isn't popular because of the retro design ... they are popular because they offer clean products and their products provide good value/fit versus Nike at the moment. Regardless of the product at this point, I find the Adidas product to be more of a comfortable fit.

11) Under Armour lost their way for a bit ... at one point they offered a product that fit more comparable to Adidas than Nike. Frankly, I don't like Nike's fit that well in most things. It'll be interesting to see what UA does in the next few years.

The biggest thing to me with Nike and UW is that UW will NEVER be the primary focus for Nike given that they'll always make sure that Oregon's going to get the primary attention. The best thing for UW is to have a business partner that has their own motivations to provide us comparable attention. We're going to get Adidas's attention and branding. Our branding fits much better with the crisp and clean approach. It fits the school. It fits the program. It fits our style. It's the branding that the program needs to address. Adidas is going to be right there in prioritizing it. It's honesty a no brainer for UW to be with Adidas and vice versa.
    A good doog effect there. I like how you think #1 and #10 are not inconsistent. Says who? You? I have three degrees and spent 8 years on that campus. Your opinion more important t than mine? GTFOOH with that shit. I liked the RN era unis. Now what? You're the fucking expert Mr beholder?

I already posted about the use of Adolph's name in German familiar. Use your own research ese. His brother Rudolph was a Nazi. I don't really care, it was entirely tongue-in-cheek, but whatever: it is what it is. Jesse Owens doesn't rescue that point. Nice try.

On the point about globalism, where NA HQ is located doesn't change the facts. Nike is an American Company and profits go to HQ in Beaverton. Adidas has a branch here. Who's wouldkhave thought?

This is all about Oregon and its association with Nike. If that association were with Washington your entire post would disappear. Face it. Your post was 99% classic Tequilla FS bullshit.

It fits you better? Uh, thanks for the heads up. Someone should alert Nike that their clothes don't fit well.

Jesus you can be a retard sometimes.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,468
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

A good doog effect there. I like how you think #1 and #10 are not inconsistent. Says who? You? I have three degrees and spent 8 years on that campus. Your opinion more important t than mine? GTFOOH with that shit. I liked the RN era unis. Now what? You're the fucking expert Mr beholder?

I already posted about the use of Adolph's name in German familiar. Use your own research ese. His brother Rudolph was a Nazi. I don't really care, it was entirely tongue-in-cheek, but whatever: it is what it is. Jesse Owens doesn't rescue that point. Nice try.

On the point about globalism, where NA HQ is located doesn't change the facts. Nike is an American Company and profits go to HQ in Beaverton. Adidas has a branch here. Who's wouldkhave thought?

This is all about Oregon and its association with Nike. If that association were with Washington your entire post would disappear. Face it. Your post was 99% classic Tequilla FS bullshit.

It fits you better? Uh, thanks for the heads up. Someone should alert Nike that their clothes don't fit well.

Not dramatic creep. Glad u did. Now let’s “creep off and talk about it 😉...me and u discuss some stuff...
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

Tequilla said:

Not dramatic creep. Glad u did. Now let’s “creep off and talk about it 😉...me and u discuss some stuff...
    Well played, J.

Mods!!!
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2018
    Clevdawg said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=239vHrwt8Rs
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Creep quit fagging up the thread amigo!
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,444
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Jesus Creep.

Yes. It is about Oregon. But for logical reasons.

You get offered a lot more money than your current contract because the company doesn't want to piss off Oregon. There wasn't even a choice to make here.
  • Options
    haie said:

Jesus Creep.

Yes. It is about Oregon. But for logical reasons.

You get offered a lot more money than your current contract because the company doesn't want to piss off Oregon. There wasn't even a choice to make here.

That is all.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    jecornel said:

Looks subpar

At least it's not lining uncle phil's pockets, and subsidizing the trash in eugene.
  • Options
    ClevdawgClevdawg Member Posts: 118
    Exactly, Honestly surprised some SJW has had pictures of the exploited kids being tortured Outside of Autzen during University of Oregon Football games.. quick question. Do they still have the outhouses ?
  • Options
    Clevdawg said:

Exactly, Honestly surprised some SJW has had pictures of the exploited kids being tortured Outside of Autzen during University of Oregon Football games.. quick question. Do they still have the outhouses ?

Huh?