Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Adidas Gear showing up at UW Bookstore

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,464
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    90's UW: dark purple and borderline mustard color "gold".

We need:

Plain purple tops, large block white numbers.

No stripes on the shoulders, just a gold panting husky logo without the W behind it on each lower shoulder.

Mustard pants, just the purple W on the hip, nothing else.

White socks. Purple shoes. Helmet the same as we have.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

We need:

No stripes on the shoulders, just a gold panting husky logo without the W behind it on each lower shoulder.

what's the husky logo w/o the W behind it? like an actual husky head? I hate those.

Only W symbols anywhere, stripe on helmet, purple/white and white purple jersey, don't mind shoulder stripes (of the throwback variety like SC does) but not multi colored patch patterns , non-LSU yellow gold gold pants no stripes, whatever socks, black shoes.

Ditch the American Flag W forever.

Once in a while, the all black / purple detail unis are pretty cool with the non-shiny black helmets.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

haie said:

We need:

what's the husky logo w/o the W behind it? like an actual husky head? I hate those.

Only W symbols anywhere, stripe on helmet, purple/white and white purple jersey, don't mind shoulder stripes (of the throwback variety like SC does) but not multi colored patch patterns , non-LSU yellow gold gold pants no stripes, whatever socks, black shoes.

Once in a while, the all black / purple detail unis are pretty cool with the non-shiny black helmets.
    1995?

1979 and the current logo are the best imo.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like the 30s ones
  • Options
    PS: I don't get the Nike hate. Consider, if one can get past the juvenile Oregon obsession:

1. Vanguard company. Leads. Does not follow. Creates. Does not limit itself to perfecting that which others created. Sometimes groups like that challenge the status quo too much and alienate small-minded people. Who cares? Don't be one of those people.

2. American company. For all the neopopulists obsessed with "but but globalism", here's your huckleberry. Nike = American. Adidas = German Eurotrash with actual Nazi history.

3. PNW company. One of the success stories of the greatest region of the United States, hands down.

4. Has done more than any other player in the space to elevate the importance and visibility of sports, which is one of my (and your) favorite social institutions. Argue it at the margins if you must and want to waste your breath. But it's a fact that is hard to dispute.

5. Because of #4, they've helped schools and leagues, pro and otherwise, create tremendous value.

6. They support their athletes. Whether you agree with Kap or not (I myself don't see the issue), they didn't leave him when he became unpopular, and they made the right call.

7. I want to quit hearing about sweat shops. I'm typing, and you're reading, on an instrument made by the same people down the block from the Nike outsource. It's a stupid fucking point. Name of the game is capitalism. If everything were made here, our collective standard of living would drop dramatically. Ask the local economists on the board if you don't understand this poont.

8. Nike wasn't founded by Nazi pigs.

9. Again, for the neopopulism globalism freaks, Adidas is a Eurotrash company. Notice, the "Adi" in addidas is German familiar for "Adolph". That's right; you're shitting on the graves of WWII vets. Be ashamed.

10. Adidas is popular right now because they're better at retro than Nike. Nike, at its core, is about innovation and moving forward. It's who they are. Adidas just knows what people want right now. That will change.

11. UA is just a shitty two-bit company. And what they did with Maryland is just permanently embarrassing.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

PS: I don't get the Nike hate. Consider, if one can get past the juvenile Oregon obsession:

1. Vanguard company. Leads. Does not follow. Creates. Does not limit itself to perfecting that which others created. Sometimes groups like that challenge the status quo too much and alienate small-minded people. Who cares? Don't be one of those people.

2. American company. For all the neopopulists obsessed with "but but globalism", here's your huckleberry. Nike = American. Adidas = German Eurotrash with actual Nazi history.

3. PNW company. One of the success stories of the greatest region of the United States, hands down.

4. Has done more than any other player in the space to elevate the importance and visibility of sports, which is one of my (and your) favorite social institutions. Argue it at the margins if you must and want to waste your breath. But it's a fact that is hard to dispute.

5. Because of #4, they've helped schools and leagues, pro and otherwise, create tremendous value.

6. They support their athletes. Whether you agree with Kap or not (I myself don't see the issue), they didn't leave him when he became unpopular, and they made the right call.

7. I want to quit hearing about sweat shops. I'm typing, and you're reading, on an instrument made by the same people down the block from the Nike outsource. It's a stupid fucking point. Name of the game is capitalism. If everything were made here, our collective standard of living would drop dramatically. Ask the local economists on the board if you don't understand this poont.

9. Again, for the neopopulism globalism freaks, Adidas is a Eurotrash company. Notice, the "Adi" in addidas is German familiar for "Adolph". That's right; you're shitting on the graves of WWII vets. Be ashamed.

10. Adidas is popular right now because they're better at retro than Nike. Nike, at its core, is about innovation and moving forward. It's who they are. Adidas just knows what people want right now. That will change.

11. UA is just a shitty two-bit company. And what they did with Maryland is just permanently embarrassing.

Adidas NA headquarters is in Portland which is badass. Get as close to your enemy as possible.

Yes, they do retro better. Retro looks better. Nike's forward thinking designs for the NBA suck ass.

But mainly, Nike has done a shit job with UW for a long time now. They've done a pretty bad job with Oregon and Oregon State as well.

WAzzu and SC would be the only two schools they haven't fucked up.
  • Options

haie said:

We need:

1995?

1979 and the current logo are the best imo.
    I've never seen any of those on the unis. Thought this was about unis.
  • Options

I like the 30s ones

1830s?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    haie said:

Adidas NA headquarters is in Portland which is badass. Get as close to your enemy as possible.

Yes, they do retro better. Retro looks better. Nike's forward thinking designs for the NBA suck ass.

But mainly, Nike has done a shit job with UW for a long time now. They've done a pretty bad job with Oregon and Oregon State as well.

I had no issue with anything they ever did with Miami. In fact, I can't think of a school they really fucked up.

I'm in the minority and did not mind the muted purple/gold of the RN era. The weasel was not good, but I liked the rest. Even the gold piping on the purple jersey was cool IMO.

I don't care where Adidas is HQ here. What I wrote stands.

They do retro better now. Fashion is cyclical. It'll pass. I like companies that lead and think out of the box. That create value, not just ride on it.

I think this is 90% about Oregon for you. See the preamble to my post.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2018

haie said:

I had no issue with anything they ever did with Miami. In fact, I can't think of a school they really fucked up.

I'm in the minority and did not mind the muted purple/gold of the RN era. The weasel was not good, but I liked the rest. Even the gold piping on the purple jersey was cool IMO.

They do retro better now. Fashion is cyclical. It'll pass. I like companies that lead and think out of the box. That create value, not just ride on it.

It's not about Oregon. They are one of many Pac 12 teams who Nike had to put their signature all over resulting in bad uniforms. We can agree to disagree about Neu UW, but Oregon State without a doubt has shit unis and branding and it's really, really hard to fuck up orange and black.

Adidas came out with shoes for Octoberfest that are beer resistant.

Nike just throws shit against the wall and they're revered when 1/20th of it somehow sticks.

The Weasel logo is the worst logo I've ever seen outside of WAzzu's down syndrome seal. 2014-2018 UW unis are some wannabe futuristic cheap shit.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I never understood the Adidas love here. But whatever. If the Unis look cool, we are good. Hopefully Pete sticks with gold helmets for the most part. That he gets right at least.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    haie said:

haie said:

It's not about Oregon. They are one of many Pac 12 teams who Nike had to put their signature all over resulting in bad uniforms. We can agree to disagree about Neu UW, but Oregon State without a doubt has shit unis and branding and it's really, really hard to fuck up orange and black.

Nike just throws shit against the wall and they're revered when 1/20th of it somehow sticks.

The Weasel logo is the worst logo I've ever seen outside of WAzzu's down syndrome seal. 2014-2018 UW unis are some wannabe futuristic cheap shit.
    Go look at Oregon State's unis pre-Nike and reassess. OSU's unis have always been hideous, and the current iteration is no worse, and I'd say better, than the old. The weasle-like Beaver is like the Weasel-like husky. Neither is good, but that's one thing. Again, it's a company that thinks forward and innovates; companies that recreate what has already been done for nostalgia ... that's cute and all, but it's easy and will pass. Unis change. They do. Go back and look at really old shit. It got better because it changed. Miami used to have gold helmets and more more green than orange and had actual hurricane warning flags on the helmets. They looked stupid, but probably not to the 90 year old geriatric who was there with Race. They were wearing more or less the current iteration when they won titles, so guess which ones I like?

Nike has the contract on a shit load of schools outside the Pac. More often than not, they get it right.

We don't know what Nike's creative process is. Let's just not speculate. It is still the most popular sports brand in the world for a reason. Let's not get too hung up on the underdog; although I'll give you the beer-resistant shoes. That's cool.

I still think it's about Oregon. If they were a Seattle company aligned with Washington, this conversation would be going differently and you'd be making the arguments I'm making. You're a software guy for God's sake. Everything in your DNA should be about "what's next?"
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's on our AD to tell the school what we want. If Jen demanded we wore pink tutus, our apparel maker would get it done.

UW is lost from within and has given creative control to Nike, who has fucked it up.

We might get lucky with Adidas, but we're praying their creative does better instead of taking the bull by the horns.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

1) I still think it's about Oregon.

2) If they were a Seattle company aligned with Washington, this conversation would be going differently and you'd be making the arguments I'm making.

3) You're a software guy for God's sake. Everything in your DNA should be about "what's next?"
    1) I mean fuck them. Sure. By the way Nike's "forward thinking" idea for them this year was just to have really big numbers. And different wings on the helmets. Pretty uninspired.

2) Ehh you're misunderstanding my doogism. I love everything UW, not everything Seattle, except for .NET and AWS. Adidas is pretty awesome, and for our purposes they're a Portland company. They bent over backwards for UW, that's what I want in the end.

3) Sales people want to rewrite and reinvent everything, the people who build the shit don't until they absolutely have to.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think Adidas has better stuff and we'll be treated like a bigger fish instead of a guinea pig which makes me optimistic, but still the mess is ours.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like Puma and Umbro.