Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Myles Gaskin is covering up Petersen’s warts as a coach

Comments

• biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,090
    Shoulder still hurt, too.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    Probably true.

OTOH Browning is magnifying them.

Will be really chinteresting to see which departure has the bigger impact.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    With him healthy I think we have one loss right now.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,112

Probably true.

This. Gaskin has absolutely carried this team and has probably been worth at least 2 wins. Additionally, we definitely beat Cal if he plays.

On the other side of the coin, Browning's absolute ineptness at times (bad reads, missed passes, not seeing receivers) has made it so Gaskin has had to carry the team.

I worry next year that we may have a massive upgrade in qb but a massive downgrade at RB and end up with the same result. Instead of stacking the box and daring UW to throw it, they will stack the backfield an dare UW to run it.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,282 Founders Club
    Passion said:

With him healthy I think we have one loss right now.

I agree with this. And no losses with Gaskin and a better than average starting QB.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,169

Probably true.

Unless Pete learned from his browning mistake it is only subtraction.

Probably true.

This. Gaskin has absolutely carried this team and has probably been worth at least 2 wins. Additionally, we definitely beat Cal if he plays.

On the other side of the coin, Browning's absolute ineptness at times (bad reads, missed passes, not seeing receivers) has made it so Gaskin has had to carry the team.

I worry next year that we may have a massive upgrade in qb but a massive downgrade at RB and end up with the same result. Instead of stacking the box and daring UW to throw it, they will stack the backfield an dare UW to run it.
    QB is generally far more important so I’m cautiously optimistic.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    Cant wait to see him go for 200 against the kewgs.
  • BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511

Best player on the team ... by far.

You? Will miss him. Ahmed is not Gaskin. At. All.

Starting to wonder if Ahmed is a bit of a pussy. Doesn't seem to like the contact.

Gaskin is the shit. Balls of steel that little fucker.

I think they are just different kinds of runners.

To me it seems as if Ahmed is being coached to be more like Gaskin, patient and letting the blocks play out before deciding on the lane, and he isn't as good at that part so it makes him look tentative.

I suspect Ahmed is just more of a one cut back, like Colman was.

They should just give him more plays that take advantage of his speed, not on his ability to let blocks play out before deciding on the lane.

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,418 Swaye's Wigwam

Probably true.

2019 who knows but I feel like the improvement in O-line recruiting will start to pay off by 2020 and skill positions will have more opportunities running and throwing.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,977
    Baphomet said:

Starting to wonder if Ahmed is a bit of a pussy. Doesn't seem to like the contact.

To me it seems as if Ahmed is being coached to be more like Gaskin, patient and letting the blocks play out before deciding on the lane, and he isn't as good at that part so it makes him look tentative.

They should just give him more plays that take advantage of his speed, not on his ability to let blocks play out before deciding on the lane.

Either way, it'll be chintresting.

Holding constant for style, because many work, Gaskin has a knack for getting shit done when it matters, he is incredibly durable given how hard he's ridden and how small he is, and he's a home-threat. Ahmed seems to have only one of those qualities.

Baphomet said:

Holding constant for style, because many work, Gaskin has a knack for getting shit done when it matters, he is incredibly durable given how hard he's ridden and how small he is, and he's a home-threat. Ahmed seems to have only one of those qualities.
    Agree with all except the home-run threat. It's pretty rare that Gaskin breaks a long one. He's good at everything else though.

Still sadly underused in the passing game.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208

Probably true.

2019 who knows but I feel like the improvement in O-line recruiting will start to pay off by 2020 and skill positions will have more opportunities running and throwing.
    You mean like the total whiff’s on Dillard, Watson and Abraham?

Agree it was stupid to let local talent like that slip right thru your own back yard.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744

Probably true.

Agree it was stupid to let local talent like that slip right thru your own back yard.
    Who?

Your scheme is very good at covering up offensive line deficiencies.

Where is consensus All-American Cody the Continent playing this year?

Probably true.

Who?

Wait, @sarktastic is a cuog?
  • BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511

Baphomet said:

Gaskin has been the 4 year starter, so he gets more chances to get shit done when it matters.

I think Ahmed will get it done when he is the starter. Not saying he will be as good as Gaskin, but if our QB is better (high chance), and our play calling is better (can it be worse?), it shouldn't matter as much.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,853
    Peterman has one wart as a coach and that's controlling the O

He's like Graham (on O not D) except not totally horrible.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    edited November 2018

Probably true.

Who?

All 3 local kids, all 3 all P-12 conference, all 3 nfl talent according to scouts.

Don’t be a jack Ass Tommy. These are exceptionally good athletes. Better athletes AND linemen then we have starting at UW right now. Talent evaluation and Coaching matter. So, Yes. I hope Petersen begins taking a drastically different approach to Oline recruiting and gets things figured out by 2020.

edit to add: in 21 pass attempts our O line surrendered 4 Sacks to Cal. In 51 pass attempts, Minshew was sacked once.