Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dontae McMillan, 3* 2019 RB, Seattle (Chief Sealth), WA

Comments

• Options
    DomicilloDomicillo Member Posts: 3,025
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2019

We should take this fucker over KPatt and move Draco to TE. This kid is special man but his potential gets kind of unlocked by being developed under Pete.

Which means we’ll never take him.......

sad thing, we no longer recruit kids like kevin king. he would never get offered today by UW. Even though he is fucking beast. Too developmental
    This is one of DDY's dumber complaints, so I shouldn't be surprised you're plagiarisming it.

There are some things to complain about with our recruiting right now, but DB recruiting is not one of them.

In Jimmy Lake I Trust.
    This isn’t about DB or Jimmy Lake. This is about Pete’s recruiting limiting the opportunities given to at-risk, underprivileged black athletes behind the cloak of “OKG” when in reality Budda Baker, Kevin King, and Keishawn Bierria, some of the kids who were the least OKG coming out of high school, turned out to be, not only the most successful players on the field, but the most charismatic leaders in the community off the field. Every single one of us thinks the Sark recruits that got to play under Pete is what our ceiling should look like.

Most character issue players commit bad violations because they are surrounded by people that condone and enable their behavior. Pete and his coaches do not. That has trickled down to the players holding each other countable and forming bonds so powerful that Myles gaskin doesn’t only say he supports Jake but also says that he’s an amazing quarterback. Think of how strong that bond must be for such a smart guy like Myles to publicly state something so delusional. Of course you’re going to get bad apples like Kentrell Love, Sr. Azeem, Camilo Eifler, but did any of those players leave a black eye on how people view the integrity of UDUB? Hell no. There is absolutely zero difference in Kentrell Love leaving the team, and Amandre Williams from Tahoma leaving? If those are the only 3 bad apples think about all the players who could’ve easily been that way if not for Pete. I support Marcus peters being kicked off the team because he had to build this culture. But now that the culture has been instilled, I have a really hard time believing that Jack Jones would’ve robbed a Panda Express at gun point after spending a year being mentored by the DB’s of 2016. Not only mentored but also motivated after seeing all those kids from tough backgrounds get drafted in high in the NFL draft.

That’s what this is all about. UDUB football scholarships are lottery tickets. Pete should feel the most accomplished seeing Budda Baker be a stud in the NFL awhile his brother was in jail and has now tragically been killed thinking that could’ve been Budda if not for “Built for Life”. He should feel the most rewarded getting the next version of jack jones and putting him in a room full of coaches who are gonna be like parents he never had, and a room full of brothers that love him so much they won’t let him cheat on his own success. Pete wanted to kick Azeem off the team before his first violation only a couple months after the fiesta bowl. Was it to save him for the next year that he probably wouldn’t do much in because of the injury? No because he knew where his life would go without being on this team. Then the first violation came and Pete would’ve done it if not for KB stepping in. That’s why KB is the goat. Neither would be recruited by Pete today.

Instead of focusing on kids who are already built for life and will work hard because their support system has already instilled great values in them, he should recruit the best athlete who NEED to be built for life and starving for someone to give that to them along with a lottery like opportunity they are so desperate for, they have no choice but to work hard.
    I get this.

But pounding the table for "we would never take Kevin King at this point" is dumb when every DB we take turns to gold.

I disagree with the idea we wouldn't take Budda BTW. He would still be a Husky. But again, DB is tits.

The Bierria complaint is much more spot on, but doesn't sound as potent because Bierria struggled as a senior. Saying "we'd never take Kevin King" is inflammatory because who tf doesn't love Kevin King? But the reality is we are getting kids just as good, if not better on a regular basis at that position with the current strategy so who cares?

Other positions (like LB), not so much.
    Agree with everything youre saying about UW continuing to be good but it’s not about position or even names, its more to a point of an overall strategy not actively recruiting kids “like” Kevin King, not King as the player but rather as the personal and their surroundings. Even this year Austin Jones, whos from the same area as Kevin and went to the same high school as Kevin, we dropped him despite being 1000 times the prospect Kevin was, and didn’t recruit Jevon Holland last year at a position of need. It’s not about positional fit we’re talking about not limiting ourselves.
    I’m all in for hating dropping Austin Jones. Best back in America. Will finish second in the Heisman at Stanford rather easily.

I don’t think we droooed him because he wasn’t OKG enough though, do you? I mean he had Stanford #1 throughout the process. If anything he was too OKG.

I thought we just got beat for Holland, I don’t remember dropping him. But yeah he was my favorite corner last year besides Dom.
    I think @LaMichael_Corleone would point out that the fact people associate (joking or not) the pinnacle of OKG as having admission/interest in Stanford is part of the larger problem/conversation here. That the inherent aspects of privilege and nature v. nurture that seem to be applied to the types of guys we’re recruiting now and how that projects on the program itself.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I have interacted with Kevin a lot ... always came off as a great guy to me. Yes, he has swag. But he’s also a great example of how OKGs can come from any walk of life
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I have interacted with Kevin a lot ... always came off as a great guy to me. Yes, he has swag. But he’s also a great example of how OKGs can come from any walk of life

Yeah I never got the impression King was crazy fast strategy. Just because he is from Compton doesn't mean shit.

He was pretty soft spoken, insecure, and without confidence that first year at safety.

He would bitch out on hits all the time. I wish I could find the thread but after the cactus bowl I think it was Roaddawg and me calling for his switch to corner or sell the couch.

He wasn't some out of control rebel sarkboy.

But yeah he's from Compton so I guess that fits the Pete hates blacks agenda being pimped by you fucking idiots.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Domicillo said:

We should take this fucker over KPatt and move Draco to TE. This kid is special man but his potential gets kind of unlocked by being developed under Pete.

sad thing, we no longer recruit kids like kevin king. he would never get offered today by UW. Even though he is fucking beast. Too developmental
    This is one of DDY's dumber complaints, so I shouldn't be surprised you're plagiarisming it.

There are some things to complain about with our recruiting right now, but DB recruiting is not one of them.

In Jimmy Lake I Trust.
    This isn’t about DB or Jimmy Lake. This is about Pete’s recruiting limiting the opportunities given to at-risk, underprivileged black athletes behind the cloak of “OKG” when in reality Budda Baker, Kevin King, and Keishawn Bierria, some of the kids who were the least OKG coming out of high school, turned out to be, not only the most successful players on the field, but the most charismatic leaders in the community off the field. Every single one of us thinks the Sark recruits that got to play under Pete is what our ceiling should look like.

Most character issue players commit bad violations because they are surrounded by people that condone and enable their behavior. Pete and his coaches do not. That has trickled down to the players holding each other countable and forming bonds so powerful that Myles gaskin doesn’t only say he supports Jake but also says that he’s an amazing quarterback. Think of how strong that bond must be for such a smart guy like Myles to publicly state something so delusional. Of course you’re going to get bad apples like Kentrell Love, Sr. Azeem, Camilo Eifler, but did any of those players leave a black eye on how people view the integrity of UDUB? Hell no. There is absolutely zero difference in Kentrell Love leaving the team, and Amandre Williams from Tahoma leaving? If those are the only 3 bad apples think about all the players who could’ve easily been that way if not for Pete. I support Marcus peters being kicked off the team because he had to build this culture. But now that the culture has been instilled, I have a really hard time believing that Jack Jones would’ve robbed a Panda Express at gun point after spending a year being mentored by the DB’s of 2016. Not only mentored but also motivated after seeing all those kids from tough backgrounds get drafted in high in the NFL draft.

That’s what this is all about. UDUB football scholarships are lottery tickets. Pete should feel the most accomplished seeing Budda Baker be a stud in the NFL awhile his brother was in jail and has now tragically been killed thinking that could’ve been Budda if not for “Built for Life”. He should feel the most rewarded getting the next version of jack jones and putting him in a room full of coaches who are gonna be like parents he never had, and a room full of brothers that love him so much they won’t let him cheat on his own success. Pete wanted to kick Azeem off the team before his first violation only a couple months after the fiesta bowl. Was it to save him for the next year that he probably wouldn’t do much in because of the injury? No because he knew where his life would go without being on this team. Then the first violation came and Pete would’ve done it if not for KB stepping in. That’s why KB is the goat. Neither would be recruited by Pete today.

Instead of focusing on kids who are already built for life and will work hard because their support system has already instilled great values in them, he should recruit the best athlete who NEED to be built for life and starving for someone to give that to them along with a lottery like opportunity they are so desperate for, they have no choice but to work hard.
    I get this.

But pounding the table for "we would never take Kevin King at this point" is dumb when every DB we take turns to gold.

I disagree with the idea we wouldn't take Budda BTW. He would still be a Husky. But again, DB is tits.

The Bierria complaint is much more spot on, but doesn't sound as potent because Bierria struggled as a senior. Saying "we'd never take Kevin King" is inflammatory because who tf doesn't love Kevin King? But the reality is we are getting kids just as good, if not better on a regular basis at that position with the current strategy so who cares?

Agree with everything youre saying about UW continuing to be good but it’s not about position or even names, its more to a point of an overall strategy not actively recruiting kids “like” Kevin King, not King as the player but rather as the personal and their surroundings. Even this year Austin Jones, whos from the same area as Kevin and went to the same high school as Kevin, we dropped him despite being 1000 times the prospect Kevin was, and didn’t recruit Jevon Holland last year at a position of need. It’s not about positional fit we’re talking about not limiting ourselves.
    I’m all in for hating dropping Austin Jones. Best back in America. Will finish second in the Heisman at Stanford rather easily.

I don’t think we droooed him because he wasn’t OKG enough though, do you? I mean he had Stanford #1 throughout the process. If anything he was too OKG.

I thought we just got beat for Holland, I don’t remember dropping him. But yeah he was my favorite corner last year besides Dom.
    I think @LaMichael_Corleone would point out that the fact people associate (joking or not) the pinnacle of OKG as having admission/interest in Stanford is part of the larger problem/conversation here. That the inherent aspects of privilege and nature v. nurture that seem to be applied to the types of guys we’re recruiting now and how that projects on the program itself.
    Well if he would then this has become the ultimate circular bitchfest. We can't at once bitch that we dropped Austin Jones because he doesn't fit our recruiting profile and simultaneously bitch that a kid like Austin Jones is the ultimate fit for our recruiting profile.

I get people are frustrated with the OKG approach but the willingness to bitch about it from all sides is getting ridiculous. Eventually all the complaints start to lose merit because they have no consistency whatsoever.

OKG is why we have lost out on some kids. It's not why we lose out on every kid. Blaming every lost kid on the OKG philosophy and bringing OKG into every bitch session dilutes the impact of the complaint.

It's almost as meaningless as doog at this point.
    You’re proving my point. I’d never argue that being admitted/interested in Stanford qualifies someone as being an OKG, you did. The term OKG is so vague that people apply it differently across the board.

However, the trends of Pete’s recruiting tell a different story; fewer kids from two black parent families, fewer kids from lower socioeconomic backgrounds (but more Poly/white inner city/lower income kids than black)...

We’ve limited ourselves from recruiting kids from certain backgrounds/surroundings and that’s how I’m going to judge how OKG philosophy is actually being applied. I agree, OKGs can and should come from any walk of life, but Pete’s program has become more homogeneous by background with every year.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I'm all for taking an elevated yet educated risk on a player who could ultimately thrive in the OKG environment.

With the roster the most stacked with talent than any time in the last 25 years, maybe we'll see the staff take a risk on a very talented player who isn't the biggest OKG guy right off the bat.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Domicillo said:

Domicillo said:

In Jimmy Lake I Trust.

I get this.

Well if he would then this has become the ultimate circular bitchfest. We can't at once bitch that we dropped Austin Jones because he doesn't fit our recruiting profile and simultaneously bitch that a kid like Austin Jones is the ultimate fit for our recruiting profile.

I get people are frustrated with the OKG approach but the willingness to bitch about it from all sides is getting ridiculous. Eventually all the complaints start to lose merit because they have no consistency whatsoever.

OKG is why we have lost out on some kids. It's not why we lose out on every kid. Blaming every lost kid on the OKG philosophy and bringing OKG into every bitch session dilutes the impact of the complaint.

It's almost as meaningless as doog at this point.
    You’re proving my point. I’d never argue that being admitted/interested in Stanford qualifies someone as being an OKG, you did. The term OKG is so vague that people apply it differently across the board.

However, the trends of Pete’s recruiting tell a different story; fewer kids from two black parent families, fewer kids from lower socioeconomic backgrounds (but more Poly/white inner city/lower income kids than black)...

We’ve limited ourselves from recruiting kids from certain backgrounds/surroundings and that’s how I’m going to judge how OKG philosophy is actually being applied. I agree, OKGs can and should come from any walk of life, but Pete’s program has become more homogeneous by background with every year.
    I didn't say qualifying for Stanford makes you an OKG, but yes, someone who has Stanford as a leader from day one is almost always going to be an OKG. There's a reason Trent McDuffie ended up here.

How in the world has the program become more homogeneous by background every year when in the last two years we've made this sudden move to recruit an asston of Polys, who were largely non existent in his first three classes?

The two black parent thing kills me too. I don't understand how this bored became too good for Julius Irvin and Trent McDuffie.

Get good football players.

And FTR since this is his thread, I support offering McMillan and hope we get him.
  • Options

Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

Yeah I never got the impression King was crazy fast strategy. Just because he is from Compton doesn't mean shit.

He was pretty soft spoken, insecure, and without confidence that first year at safety.

He would bitch out on hits all the time. I wish I could find the thread but after the cactus bowl I think it was Roaddawg and me calling for his switch to corner or sell the couch.

He wasn't some out of control rebel sarkboy.

But yeah he's from Compton so I guess that fits the Pete hates blacks agenda being pimped by you fucking idiots.
    He’s from NorCal lol
    It’s almost like people here are projecting the qualities of being OKG as being impacted by racial stereotypes, and ignoring how its actually being applied by their background/surroundings....
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Kevin King and Marcus Peters are both from Oakland.

We'd absolutely still take a kid like King but not a kid like Peters
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    It’s almost like people here are projecting the qualities of being OKG as being impacted by racial stereotypes, and ignoring how its actually being applied by their background/surroundings....