Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NCAA athletic scholarships going to foreign nationals

2»

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,185
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

So I've had pretty up close and personal experience with this subject over the years ( @whlinder too). My row boat era at UW in the 90's was really the last time the team was made up almost entirely of Americans, plus a few Cannucks on the side. In the late 90's Steve @Gladstone was on his second stint at Cal and started recruiting foreign national elite rowers and offering full rides (paid for from private endowments). They proceeded to win 4 NTs in a row from 99- 02 and left UW in the dust.

The only way for the other big time rowing schools like Harvard and UW to keep pace was to start recruiting internationally as well. So if you look at when we won 5 NT's in a row from 2011 - 15, the Varsity 8 was typically 50 to 60% foreign rowers. This is all fine and well in the short term, but the concern has been is where are those foreign guys going to be in 20, 30 or 40 years tim? You see, rowing at UDub has always relied heavily on alumni donations over the years to fund a fair amount of the program's budget. They have about a $14 million dollar endowment right now which pays for the Men's full ride schollies amongst other things like trip to Henley. So, it's incumbent to the program's long term success that you hopefully have a lot of alumni who end up living in Washington and becoming rich, successful businessmen who will write fat checks some day.

The tide has turned somewhat of late and our boat 2nd place loser boat last year had 6 of 8 rowers being from the US. Yale where @Gladstone corches now by the way is the 2 time defending champs and there boats the past few years are about 80% foreigners.

See this is I guess what I don't understand about people immediately shouting shit like, "We want to win" "But we have great international players" etc.

There's no competitive advantage if literally everyone in the NCAA is doing it or disadvantage if not doing it. I guess you can pose that private schools will dominate non-revenue sports if we? didn't recruit internationally but do we? care if USC, Yale, and Notre Dame dominate women's golf & tennis? (I'm sure you care about rowing. I care about rugby which is very international recruit heavy but light on schollies. The Mrs. went to a very famous private track and field college on schollie but all her team mates were Jamaican.)

I guess I don't understand why this was such a WTF party simply for wondering if tax payer money should be paying for other countries citizens' educational costs.(Triggered too many people from other nationalist arguments I guess) In my mind I would rather be sponsoring academis scholarships for bright minds and giving them a fast track to citizenship if you want to fund "internationalism" as it's own goal. One of our roomates in college was from Libya and was a brilliant graduate student in Biomed. For obvious reasons he wanted to stay in the US after graduating but wasn't allowed to. He also actually paid for his own education out of pocket.

It's a fair argument to make that the overall numbers are insignificant but it seems like in specific sports they aren't which is what the article explores. I can tell you from personal experience there are lots of Chinese families that are looking at what sports can get their kids a discount education and a fast track student visa and are planning accordingly. Mind you, if no public monies are involved IDGAF. Private funds, sports that fund themselves, or private institutions can do whatever the fuck they want.

Fuck, I'm also perfectly happy to talk about a fast track immigration status for anyone who comes to the US and finishes college etc. I just don't see what the return is if you are packing them up at the end of their career and sending them back home.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sounds like international rowers are winning the titles American won't
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Race gets it!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The American rower is a lazy rower Race! They won't do the dirty work without lots of trophies and accolades. You have to practically beg the American kids to erg.

The Polish rowers, in particular, will come in and do what it takes w/o a lot of grand-standing and added expense.

The market for collegiate rowers is efficient. Leave it alone!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2018

So I've had pretty up close and personal experience with this subject over the years ( @whlinder too). My row boat era at UW in the 90's was really the last time the team was made up almost entirely of Americans, plus a few Cannucks on the side. In the late 90's Steve @Gladstone was on his second stint at Cal and started recruiting foreign national elite rowers and offering full rides (paid for from private endowments). They proceeded to win 4 NTs in a row from 99- 02 and left UW in the dust.

The only way for the other big time rowing schools like Harvard and UW to keep pace was to start recruiting internationally as well. So if you look at when we won 5 NT's in a row from 2011 - 15, the Varsity 8 was typically 50 to 60% foreign rowers. This is all fine and well in the short term, but the concern has been is where are those foreign guys going to be in 20, 30 or 40 years tim? You see, rowing at UDub has always relied heavily on alumni donations over the years to fund a fair amount of the program's budget. They have about a $14 million dollar endowment right now which pays for the Men's full ride schollies amongst other things like trip to Henley. So, it's incumbent to the program's long term success that you hopefully have a lot of alumni who end up living in Washington and becoming rich, successful businessmen who will write fat checks some day.

The tide has turned somewhat of late and our boat 2nd place loser boat last year had 6 of 8 rowers being from the US. Yale where @Gladstone corches now by the way is the 2 time defending champs and there boats the past few years are about 80% foreigners.

See this is I guess what I don't understand about people immediately shouting shit like, "We want to win" "But we have great international players" etc.

There's no competitive advantage if literally everyone in the NCAA is doing it or disadvantage if not doing it. I guess you can pose that private schools will dominate non-revenue sports if we? didn't recruit internationally but do we? care if USC, Yale, and Notre Dame dominate women's golf & tennis? (I'm sure you care about rowing. I care about rugby which is very international recruit heavy but light on schollies. The Mrs. went to a very famous private track and field college on schollie but all her team mates were Jamaican.)

I guess I don't understand why this was such a WTF party simply for wondering if tax payer money should be paying for other countries citizens' educational costs.(Triggered too many people from other nationalist arguments I guess) In my mind I would rather be sponsoring academis scholarships for bright minds and giving them a fast track to citizenship if you want to fund "internationalism" as it's own goal. One of our roomates in college was from Libya and was a brilliant graduate student in Biomed. For obvious reasons he wanted to stay in the US after graduating but wasn't allowed to. He also actually paid for his own education out of pocket.

It's a fair argument to make that the overall numbers are insignificant but it seems like in specific sports they aren't which is what the article explores. I can tell you from personal experience there are lots of Chinese families that are looking at what sports can get their kids a discount education and a fast track student visa and are planning accordingly. Mind you, if no public monies are involved IDGAF. Private funds, sports that fund themselves, or private institutions can do whatever the fuck they want.

Fuck, I'm also perfectly happy to talk about a fast track immigration status for anyone who comes to the US and finishes college etc. I just don't see what the return is if you are packing them up at the end of their career and sending them back home.
    Ultimately though, there is only 1 college sport that really matters at the end of the day and it sure as hell ain't overrun by foreigners except on special teams.

@PurpleBaze do you want to do the WTF honors on this poast?
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,179
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

Sounds like the US wants to win.

You’re not ok with UW offering football scholarships to communists and terrorists that will win a rose bowl?

Own up or your entire schtick is bullshit.

Also, as I said, non-revenue sports. IDGAF if someone wants to come here and make money for the NCAA.
    While I am on the fence on this issue. I don't agree that it matters what sport they play. Either let them have scholarships or not.
    You're on the fence for only 1 reason and that's to spin faggot.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Race gets it!
    They were racing Indians in canoes when Race was in college. He was already senile when the Boys of '36 did their thing. Trust me: Race does not get rowing.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,268
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Taking it beyond NCAA sports...

America is the fucking best.

Bring the fucking best to America. Engineers, doctors, business people, teachers, athletes.

Some may go back home. But not all. These policies will help keep us* as the world leader in as many areas as possible.

I don’t know whether it’s true or not but some scholarship investments in the best foreign athletes seems like a decent investment.

@YellowSnow has a good point with the possible long term impacts of the rowing team and the next generation of support. Hopefully the pay it forward mindset continues.

-whlinder, poasting from Nairobi, in search of rhino cum
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2018
    I’m curious (but too lazy to look it up myself), do foreign colleges/universities offer athletic scholarships to Americans? Like a Rhodes Scholarship, but for basketball for example.

If so, then maybe it’s all a wash.

I will say that @UW_Doog_Bot’s original question is a valid one, irregardless of the numbers or if we’re only talking Olympic sports. I personally think you do need to strike a careful balance between using the resources of state-supported universities for both US born and foreign born students. Many US students need college to become the best & the brightest as resources in their local communities/high schools are lacking.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

Taking it beyond NCAA sports...

America is the fucking best.

Bring the fucking best to America. Engineers, doctors, business people, teachers, athletes.

Some may go back home. But not all. These policies will help keep us* as the world leader in as many areas as possible.

I don’t know whether it’s true or not but some scholarship investments in the best foreign athletes seems like a decent investment.

@YellowSnow has a good point with the possible long term impacts of the rowing team and the next generation of support. Hopefully the pay it forward mindset continues.

-whlinder, poasting from Nairobi, in search of rhino cum

We should welcome the best and the brightest here