Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NCAA athletic scholarships going to foreign nationals

UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,178
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
Been watching the Pac12 network lately and since they don't have any real commercials they have "player" profiles. I can't help but notice that a disproportionate number of the Olympic or non-revenue sport athletes in these profiles are foreign nationals. This begged the question for me. Should public institution(excludes private schools like USC) athletic scholarships(for non-revenue sports) be going to foreign nationals?

Article exploring the numbers

While it seems like overall the numbers are low, 17,000 total in the US, it seems like it's hard to justify the fact that we are subsidizing those students educations simply to play sports that themselves require subsidy. Even worse, these scholarships aren't going to US athletes that would otherwise receive them. What reasons do we have for supplying foreign nationals with public US educations at the expense of our own student athletes?

Comments

• Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Sounds like the US wants to win.

You’re not ok with UW offering football scholarships to communists and terrorists that will win a rose bowl?

Own up or your entire schtick is bullshit.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

You’re not ok with UW offering football scholarships to communists and terrorists that will win a rose bowl?

*playoff
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I'm not sure how I feel about tax money paying to subsidize the educations of foreign nationals for no apparent return on the investment. Apparently, it's important for us to develop foreign athletes so we can be more competitive within the NCAA for sports that have no viewership?

These aren't people who are tied to the US in any way other than wanting to get a US education at a severe discount while also getting their sports careers developed so they can go play for their own foreign national teams.

I'm really at a loss for why you are triggered by me wondering at why this makes any sense. I don't give a shit if they want to PAY to come here and get educated. WTF are we doing paying them to do so?

Please, by any means, make a point or argument of your own.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Also, as I said, non-revenue sports. IDGAF if someone wants to come here and make money for the NCAA.
  • Options

I'm not sure how I feel about tax money paying to subsidize the educations of foreign nationals for no apparent return on the investment. Apparently, it's important for us to develop foreign athletes so we can be more competitive within the NCAA for sports that have no viewership?

These aren't people who are tied to the US in any way other than wanting to get a US education at a severe discount while also getting their sports careers developed so they can go play for their own foreign national teams.

I'm really at a loss for why you are triggered by me wondering at why this makes any sense. I don't give a shit if they want to PAY to come here and get educated. WTF are we doing paying them to do so?

By all means, please weigh in when you figure out how you feel.

My argument: winners win.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

By all means, please weigh in when you figure out how you feel.

My argument: winners win.
    OK!
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Also, as I said, non-revenue sports. IDGAF if someone wants to come here and make money for the NCAA.
    While I am on the fence on this issue. I don't agree that it matters what sport they play. Either let them have scholarships or not.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,855
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    12 foreign nationals on the women's row boat squad. https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?roster=144&path=wrow

Keep in mind that at UW those scholarships are not coming from tax payer dollars. The athletic department is completely self funded.

@creepycoug will prolly want to weigh in in this thread.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited September 2018

12 foreign nationals on the women's row boat squad. https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?roster=144&path=wrow

Keep in mind that at UW those scholarships are not coming from tax payer dollars. The athletic department is completely self funded.

Foreigners!!!!!! Alert @oregonblitzkrieg and @Sledog !

We should be protecting mediocre American athletes and reserving those spots for them. Not a bunch of border freaks.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I mean the athletic department is fully funded by revenue sports...hence my distinctions. I wouldn't say my mind is by any means made up but it's worth challenging the assumption.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

We should be protecting mediocre American athletes and reserving those spots for them. Not a bunch of border freaks.
    Can we stop with trying to act like I'm an ultra nationalist? I'm pretty sure I'm on record saying I want the best and the brightest here, regardless of origin. If the best athletes want to immigrate and get scholarships I'm all for it. Can't say that I feel the same about paying a Chinese party members kid to go to UW on scholarship only for them to go home and coach the Chinese national team.
  • Options

Can we stop with trying to act like I'm an ultra nationalist? I'm pretty sure I'm on record saying I want the best and the brightest here, regardless of origin. If the best athletes want to immigrate and get scholarships I'm all for it. Can't say that I feel the same about paying a Chinese party members kid to go to UW on scholarship only for them to go home and coach the Chinese national team.
    Just stfu.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Just stfu.
    Fuck off and DIAFF first.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Rowers only come from non shithole countries for the most part, so I think we're pretty much in the clear. We do have one Greek which used to be great but is now pretty much a shithole.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ok, so if you look at the list, all of the sports that have high percentages of foreigners, are also most rich white people ones. So it's not as though a lot of disadvantaged yoots are being denied opportunities for a college education that they might be able to afford otherwise.

What we can't deduce from this articles is the following:

1 - What percentage of the 17,000 are on partial or full rides?

2- And of that number, what percentage are at public universities where athletic scholarships are not self funded by football and hoops revenue?
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Ok, so if you look at the list, all of the sports that have high percentages of foreigners, are also most rich white people ones. So it's not as though a lot of disadvantaged yoots are being denied opportunities for a college education that they might be able to afford otherwise.

What we can't deduce from this articles is the following:

1 - What percentage of the 17,000 are on partial or full rides?

2- And of that number, what percentage are at public universities where athletic scholarships are not self funded by football and hoops revenue?

'Murica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,639
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Unless they sneak in then fuck 'em ship them home.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Been watching the Pac12 network lately and since they don't have any real commercials they have "player" profiles. I can't help but notice that a disproportionate number of the Olympic or non-revenue sport athletes in these profiles are foreign nationals. This begged the question for me. Should public institution(excludes private schools like USC) athletic scholarships(for non-revenue sports) be going to foreign nationals?

Article exploring the numbers

While it seems like overall the numbers are low, 17,000 total in the US, it seems like it's hard to justify the fact that we are subsidizing those students educations simply to play sports that themselves require subsidy. Even worse, these scholarships aren't going to US athletes that would otherwise receive them. What reasons do we have for supplying foreign nationals with public US educations at the expense of our own student athletes?

If they’re going to the best athletes, than it isn’t an issue in my book. While these Sports don’t generate revenue, they’re still playin to win.

College BBall recruits all over the world. If somehow Samoa or Hawaii werent a US Territory, you’d see the same thing with Football.

A lot to criticize University about these days, but this isn’t on my list.