Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2000 Miami Game, QB contrast etc

ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
edited September 2018 in Hardcore Husky Board
I watched the first half last night on youtube.

The contrast between Tuiasosopo and Browning is stark. Tui, as we all know, just knew what to do when. He knew how to play football. He knew when to throw at a receiver and draw an interference penalty. He was a wizard with the option (give or take a few fuckups). It's great watching a quarterback who can play the game. Browning ultimately should be a coach. He knows what he should do, but doesn't have the instinct to come through.

The announcers praised helmet to helmet contact. Now you hear Brock Huard throwing hissy fits about it.

The game was a lot better when there were no fucking goddamn stoppages to review every fucking goddamn call. Yes, there were mistakes, but there are WAY too many fucking stoppages now. A situation like the "challenge flag" in the NFL was better.

Lambo had assembled a damn good team, and he should be given credit. Those were Lambos recruits mostly. The line was awesome. The secondary was good, and it is strange to think that Williams and Vonture (who were big contributors) are already gone.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,973 Founders Club
    edited September 2018
    We would have lost that game to Miami by a minimum of 14 pts in an AIDS ridden neutral venue east of the Rockies.

P.S. Fuck of @TierbsHsotBoobs . I am right on this.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,973 Founders Club

We would have lost that game to Miami by a minimum of 14 pts in an AIDS ridden neutral venue east of the Rockies.

P.S. Fuck of @TierbsHsotBoobs . I am right on this.

I we played Miami at home ten times, we lose 8 or 9.
    I was shocked and awed when we won that game. But we did and now @creepycoug has to really respeck us from here to eternity. 2-1 sugar canes.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    edited September 2018
    I didn't say Lambo would have won if he was coaching. I just said he got those recruits in there. I also didn't say we'd win x out of y attempts or all that crap. The crowd was a huge factor. I think I can hear myself in the noise.

If you have an hour or so, watch the first half. What impresses me still about Tui was that I never thought he had a great arm, and he wasn't a gifted runner. What he DID do so well was that he simply DID THE RIGHT THING AT THE RIGHT TIME. That's what you do in football to win. It sounds simple that is the recipe for success. If a guy was open he got him the ball. If there was open field he'd run it or get it to somebody who could run it. If the situation called for ball control he wouldn't fumble. He wouldn't get sacked with no time on the clock.

In other words what our ? present QB doesn't do....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cV6UPnG7Ow
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904

I didn't say Lambo would have won if he was coaching. I just said he got those recruits in there. I also didn't say we'd win x out of y attempts or all that crap. The crowd was a huge factor. I think I can hear myself in the noise.

If you have an hour or so, watch the first half. What impresses me still about Tui was that I never thought he had a great arm, and he wasn't a gifted runner. What he DID do so well was that he simply DID THE RIGHT THING AT THE RIGHT TIME. That's what you do in football to win. It sounds simple that is the recipe for success. If a guy was open he got him the ball. If there was open field he'd run it or get it to somebody who could run it. If the situation called for ball control he wouldn't fumble. He wouldn't get sacked with no time on the clock.

Who cares? He had plenty of time to demonstrate over and over that he couldn't win consistently. Rick took those players to heights Lambo never would have. Rick's willingness to abandon his offensive system and run the option with Tui is the sole reason that team played so far above it's heads, and was flexibility, creativity and humility Lambo never once demonstrated.

That was RN's team. Lambo deserves no credit for it.
    the main reason I made the post was not to talk about Lambo but show the quarterback contrast and the refreshing way the game was played before constant stoppages, pre era stadiums built for advertising and secondarily football, and helmet collision banning.The whole show was better then. I was OK with Lambo but when he called the fake punt in the last bowl I had enough.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Browning has some real physical limitations with his arm … to me, it's beyond talking about at this point because it is what it is.

You go back to the final drive against Auburn and you get a real mixed bag:

3rd down throw to Opera Singer was really good by Browning displaying patience and allowing him to clear the LB level into open space. High caliber play there.

Next 3rd down he scrambled and picked up a 3rd and long with his feet including running through a tackle instead of avoiding the hit. Again, this is another big time pickup that was made at the time of the game.

First down throw to Fuller over the middle delivered high. A definite missed opportunity given that the blitz was picked up (Hilbers did a great job on this play of getting a double block) and the throw was there.

Second down call into the run … not a terrible decision given how Auburn lined up on the play. However, they slanted all into the run and out executed us on that play. Not sure how much of that to really put on Browning versus tipping the cap to Auburn on that play.

Third down sack after extending the play. I know that the perception is that Browning shit himself on that play but there was nobody open … it was an absolute coverage sack. I guess if you want to be critical there it could have been that Browning could have potentially looked to tuck it and get up the field there but to me that's splitting some hairs. That play felt more like tipping the cap to Auburn's secondary on that play versus putting fault on Browning.

Fourth down sack was noise influenced … as shown after the fact Watty never got off the snap and the play was FUBAR before it ever got going. The argument for Browning to just throw the ball up I'm not entirely sure it was realistic as guys weren't even out of their initial breaks by the time the initial pressure came.

I'm as critical of Browning as anybody but I also make sure to call them as I see them. He largely played well against Auburn and the real critical play in the entire final drive to really get on him for was the throw that he overshot to Fuller. The rest is just being critical of him because he's an easy target.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Who cares? He had plenty of time to demonstrate over and over that he couldn't win consistently. Rick took those players to heights Lambo never would have. Rick's willingness to abandon his offensive system and run the option with Tui is the sole reason that team played so far above it's heads, and was flexibility, creativity and humility Lambo never once demonstrated.

That was RN's team. Lambo deserves no credit for it.
    the main reason I made the post was not to talk about Lambo but show the quarterback contrast and the refreshing way the game was played before constant stoppages, pre era stadiums built for advertising and secondarily football, and helmet collision banning.The whole show was better then. I was OK with Lambo but when he called the fake punt in the last bowl I had enough.
    Lambo was an abortion of a coach. Please never mention his name again. Fuck!

Tui was a winner but he was also prone to really shitty turnovers. The good far outweighed the bad though. His decision making was not the best. He wasn’t super fast but he was a great runner.

Pretty much disagree with everything you said.
    Spot on top to bottom. Tui as great decision maker blew my mind. He had some of the greatest wtf moments. He was also tuff as nails, and competitive as hell. Best leader I ever saw rather easily, the team had max respect for him. He was also the best final drive qb I ever saw.

He did plenty of stupid stuff but dude was a warrior and a winner.

We need more like him.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

Stevens was the only receiving threat Tui had. People forget that Todd Elstrom was Tui's #1 option.

He did a lot with very little.

I remain convinced that if you put Tui on the 2016 and 17 squads we lose 1 Pac game at most over those 2 years. Think about the ripple down to the rest of the team from having a warrior as a QB and that kind of leadership.
    Tui natties with at least one of the last two UW teams.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

Stevens was the only receiving threat Tui had. People forget that Todd Elstrom was Tui's #1 option.

He did a lot with very little.

I remain convinced that if you put Tui on the 2016 and 17 squads we lose 1 Pac game at most over those 2 years. Think about the ripple down to the rest of the team from having a warrior as a QB and that kind of leadership.
    Tui natties with at least one of the last two UW teams.
    Doubt it, but maybe. We definitely would have had a better shot.