Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How much do you pay each year on the Federal level to help the pours?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,978
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Chinteresting site here where you can enter how much you paid in Federal Income Tax in 2017 and get an itemized breakdown of where each dollar went: https://www.nationalpriorities.org/interactive-data/taxday/

I determined that about 26% of our family's Federal tax bill went to wealth transfer payments. Or looking at it another way, about 3.9% of our taxable income went towards helping the pours on a Federal level.

Following are the programs I considered to be means-tested, transfer payments.

Health
*Medicaid
*Children's Health Insurance Program

Unemployment and Labor
* Earned Income Tax Credit
* Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
* Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

Veterans Benefits
* Income Support

Food and Agriculture
*SNAP (food stamps)
*School Lunch & other food programs

Education
*Federal Student Aid

Housing and Community
*Affordable Housing Programs

I left off Medicare although undoubtedly there is some wealth transfer going on here- i.e., old people collectively receiving more in benefits from the program than they paid into the system in payroll taxes.

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Chinteresting site here where you can enter how much you paid in Federal Income Tax in 2017 and get an itemized breakdown of where each dollar went: https://www.nationalpriorities.org/interactive-data/taxday/

I determined that about 26% of our family's Federal tax bill went to wealth transfer payments. Or looking at it another way, about 3.9% of our taxable income went towards helping the pours on a Federal level.

Following are the programs I considered to be means-tested, transfer payments.

Health
    *Medicaid
    *Children's Health Insurance Program

Unemployment and Labor
    * Earned Income Tax Credit
    * Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
    * Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

Veterans Benefits
    * Income Support

Food and Agriculture
    *SNAP (food stamps)
    *School Lunch & other food programs

Education
    *Federal Student Aid

Housing and Community
    *Affordable Housing Programs

I left off Medicare although undoubtedly there is some wealth transfer going on here- i.e., old people collectively receiving more in benefits from the program than they paid into the system in payroll taxes.

too much.

tell the pour to get to work! this is american, not sweden.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Does anyone here make enough to pay federal income tax?
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Does anyone here make enough to pay federal income tax?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

People forget that you don't actually have to have the federal government take your money by force in order for you to help the poor

I don't do my giving on the street corner to get rewarded by man. I give in secret so my Father in heaven can reward me

That's true for you. But there's not reward in heaven for me, so I'm stuck having to do my good works through the tax code.

Here's a honest question @RaceBannon , as a someone who voted for Obama in 2008, were you concerned at the time about him raising your taxes and what not? I mean, what was the calculus here?
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,819
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

People forget that you don't actually have to have the federal government take your money by force in order for you to help the poor

I don't do my giving on the street corner to get rewarded by man. I give in secret so my Father in heaven can reward me

That's true for you. But there's not reward in heaven for me, so I'm stuck having to do my good works through the tax code.

Here's a honest question @RaceBannon , as a someone who voted for Obama in 2008, were you concerned at the time about him raising your taxes and what not? I mean, what was the calculus here?

• Options

It's always smart to cover your bases. Just in case ....
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,507
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

When I was broke, tens of thousands of dollars in debt and facing eviction everything broke my way. I got myself into the mess and Dad got me out
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was not concerned about him raising my taxes because I knew he was lying when he said he wanted to get rid of the Bush tax cut and I was right.

Unlike the idiots here other than you and me I understand that there is a sweet spot on taxation both individual and corporate that stokes the economy and I vote accordingly

We will never tax ourselves to a balanced budget so it isn't even a concern. Neither party will cut spending to get us balanced so that is a pipe dream as well.

The only positive is that I have been hearing about the dangers of the debt for 50 years and yet here we are. As long as we run the world our debt doesn't matter. When we fall the debt will be the least of our concerns anyway

I don't get my economic advice from HBO comedians or burger flippers either

Trump has done a very good job on the economy so far and that only adds to the derangement which is nice.

Some polls have him closing in in 30% approval among Blacks which is pretty much the apocalypse for the democrats

Its my money that I earn with my hard work is my calculus.

Be a good neighbor and give of your income to help others. What you send to DC is flushed down the crapper

There's some good points here.

I think the risk from Clinton / Obama type dems to raise taxes on the upper income brackets has always been overstated. Yes, they were going to raise them some, but there's a limit to how much the college educated, upper income, donor class dems are willing to pony up to help the pours. Bernie and the DSA are a different story, of course.

Re: the debt, it's obviously true that in the past 50 years, Deficits have not mattered and we have the benefit from borrowing and paying interest in the debt in our own currency (this is YUGE). But I think it's wrong to think that they (deficits) will NEVER matter. At some point the markets will intervene. But at that point we'd be taking the rest of the world down with us.

I'm skeptical that charitable giving alone either to secular or religious organizations alone could ever be enough to help the needy based on our society at present. It did, of course, from 1789 to 1933 but that's a by gone era. The biggest flaw in our current welfare state is that we do a really shitty job of sorting out who truly needs assistance and who is a lazy bum. The disincentives towards work are a major problem.

• Options
    Founders Club

I was not concerned about him raising my taxes because I knew he was lying when he said he wanted to get rid of the Bush tax cut and I was right.

Unlike the idiots here other than you and me I understand that there is a sweet spot on taxation both individual and corporate that stokes the economy and I vote accordingly

We will never tax ourselves to a balanced budget so it isn't even a concern. Neither party will cut spending to get us balanced so that is a pipe dream as well.

The only positive is that I have been hearing about the dangers of the debt for 50 years and yet here we are. As long as we run the world our debt doesn't matter. When we fall the debt will be the least of our concerns anyway

Trump has done a very good job on the economy so far and that only adds to the derangement which is nice.

Some polls have him closing in in 30% approval among Blacks which is pretty much the apocalypse for the democrats

Be a good neighbor and give of your income to help others. What you send to DC is flushed down the crapper

I think the risk from Clinton / Obama type dems to raise taxes on the upper income brackets has always been overstated. Yes, they were going to raise them some, but there's a limit to how much the college educated, upper income, donor class dems are willing to pony up to help the pours. Bernie and the DSA are a different story, of course.

Re: the debt, it's obviously true that in the past 50 years, Deficits have not mattered and we have the benefit from borrowing and paying interest in the debt in our own currency (this is YUGE). But I think it's wrong to think that they (deficits) will NEVER matter. At some point the markets will intervene. But at that point we'd be taking the rest of the world down with us.

I'm skeptical that charitable giving alone either to secular or religious organizations alone could ever be enough to help the needy based on our society at present. It did, of course, from 1789 to 1933 but that's a by gone era. The biggest flaw in our current welfare state is that we do a really shitty job of sorting out who truly needs assistance and who is a lazy bum. The disincentives towards work are a major problem.

You mean like the Oregon State income tax Game?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The delivery system for aid to the poor is the problem. Its an industry in itself at the government level and in private giving you have to read the fine print to see how much of each dollar gets to someone who needs it. If a charity has 80 cents on the dollar going to administration they are fucking you

True, but we forget sometimes all them lazy guvmint jerbs are in effect a way to keep a lot of medium skilled people employed.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    pawz said:

Huh???
  • Options
    Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

pawz said:

Huh???
    Melding a HCH meme with a disincentive to work.

Clearly that didn't work.
  • Options
    LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,474
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

True, but we forget sometimes all them lazy guvmint jerbs are in effect a way to keep a lot of medium skilled people employed.

medium?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

medium?
    ISAFNRC
  • Options

When I was broke, tens of thousands of dollars in debt and facing eviction everything broke my way. I got myself into the mess and Dad got me out
    You sounded really really pour!