Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mightier military vis-a-vis the contemporary competition: Imperial Germany or Nazi Germany?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WW1 Imperial Germany

The WWII Krauts relied on horses and carts. Same as they did in WWI

The Germans had an average of over a million horses used for troop movement. The US used less than 100,000, a good chunk of which were mules in the Pacific Theater.

For all that tech @ThomasFremont the WW2 Germans had no fucking gas so it didn't matter.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    WW2 Nazi Germany

The Germans had an average of over a million horses used for troop movement. The US used less than 100,000, a good chunk of which were mules in the Pacific Theater.

For all that tech @ThomasFremont the WW2 Germans had no fucking gas so it didn't matter.
    Does that limitation make their gains lesser in your eyes?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,847
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    WW1 Imperial Germany

Most of the WWII technology actually was developed in WWI. Radar, V-2 rockets and A-bombs notwithstanding.

Tanks, flamethrowers, motorized vehicles, airplanes, large-scale artillery, depth charges.
  • Options
    WW2 Nazi Germany

Most of the WWII technology actually was developed in WWI. Radar, V-2 rockets and A-bombs notwithstanding.

Tanks, flamethrowers, motorized vehicles, airplanes, large-scale artillery, depth charges.
    Ok, I’ll take the WW2 tech (just the conventional stuff, I don’t even need nukes) and you take the WW1 tech and let’s fight it out. Sound fair?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,847
    WW1 Imperial Germany

Ok, I’ll take the WW2 tech (just the conventional stuff, I don’t even need nukes) and you take the WW1 tech and let’s fight it out. Sound fair?
    Jesus - I didn't say there was no technological improvements in the 25 years between. Don't go venturing into HondoFS territory.

But clearly the weapons of WWII were of WWI origin.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WW1 Imperial Germany

It certainly lessened their ability to effectively make war which is what we are ultimately comparing- i.e., Germany's military might relative to their enemies in WWI vs WWII. Fuel wasn't as big of a factor in WWI and therefore not having an abundance of it didn't affect Imperial Germany's war making ability at the time.
  • Options
    WW2 Nazi Germany

Jesus - I didn't say there was no technological improvements in the 25 years between. Don't go venturing into HondoFS territory.

But clearly the weapons of WWII were of WWI origin.

I’m not sure what your point is. Mine was in regards to those advancements you just admitted to.

There are long stretches in history where the weapons used were little changed from the decades or centuries previous. That was not the case in WW2.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    All this German hardware discussion and nobody mentioned the Maus? I want to go on a joy ride in this motherfucker.

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    WW2 Nazi Germany

It certainly lessened their ability to effectively make war which is what we are ultimately comparing- i.e., Germany's military might relative to their enemies in WWI vs WWII. Fuel wasn't as big of a factor in WWI and therefore not having an abundance of it didn't affect Imperial Germany's war making ability at the time.
    Wait what are we comparing: SOS, W-L record, coaching, facilities, sizzle?

The way I see it, WW1 was Germany barely beating up (but had the upper hand) a weak Euro division, had Euro allies, not having to worry about Russia, and then giving up once we entered with more troops. They failed to innovate and were locked in a stalemate. They lacked oil in WW2, but resources became an issue in WW1 too.

WW2 they blitzed the entire Euro league, only had 1 shitty Euro ally that basically gave up (sad to see how far Italy has fallen), took North Africa, backstabbed the Soviets and pushed them to the outskirts of Moscow, and fought a SERIOUS Allied military led by us. We had to push all the way to Berlin before they quit in round 2.

Round 2 lasted longer, was a true global conflict rather than a regional slaughter, and the end result reshaped the world way more than the end of round 1. The Nazis were a much bigger threat. I don’t think this is even that close tbh.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WW1 Imperial Germany

Wait what are we comparing: SOS, W-L record, coaching, facilities, sizzle?

The way I see it, WW1 was Germany barely beating up (but had the upper hand) a weak Euro division, had Euro allies, not having to worry about Russia, and then giving up once we entered with more troops. They failed to innovate and were locked in a stalemate. They lacked oil in WW2, but resources became an issue in WW1 too.

WW2 they blitzed the entire Euro league, only had 1 shitty Euro ally that basically gave up (sad to see how far Italy has fallen), took North Africa, backstabbed the Soviets and pushed them to the outskirts of Moscow, and fought a SERIOUS Allied military led by us. We had to push all the way to Berlin before they quit in round 2.

Round 2 lasted longer, was a true global conflict rather than a regional slaughter, and the end result reshaped the world way more than the end of round 1. The Nazis were a much bigger threat. I don’t think this is even that close tbh.
    Part of argument here is based on Imperial Germany having had to play a much harder schedule and being a legit threat to win it all at the very end. Again, France and Britain (from 1915 onwards) were very, very formidable opponents. And it was the massive casualties that those countries suffered on the Western Front in WWI that made them reluctant to fight in 1938- 40. People forget that in August 1914 France went on the offensive out of the gates trying to recapture Alsace - Lorraine. The very much had a going on the offensive mindset and weren't the surrender monkeys that everyone thinks of them based on WWII. Czarist Russia wasn't as strong of an opponent as Soviet Russia, but they were a formidable opponent none-the-less. WWI Germany would have KO'd Csarist Russia rather easily in a one-on-one, Eastern Front fight, where as WWII Germany couldn't get it done. Granted they had a few divisions kept in the West, the Balkans and Africa, but the USSR got about 90% of available German military strength thrown at them in 1941- 42.
  • Options
    SyphilisButterSyphilisButter Member Posts: 221
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 2018
    it's funny growing up in schools here you hear about normandy being the beginning of the end for germany, when in reality they were all but dead and most of the US troops were fighting eastern european conscripts. notable exception being the dietrich's SS's putrefied corpse during the battle of the bulge when hitler insanely diverted them from the eastern front

the battles of kursk, stalingrad, moscow, kiev, smolensk etc were each more bloody and impactful than the entire western front combined. that's crazy.

i always found the pacific theater more interesting because of this. plus soviets were significantly more evil than the nazis imo. pacific theater was pure black vs white.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WW1 Imperial Germany

it's funny growing up in schools here you hear about normandy being the beginning of the end for germany, when in reality they were all but dead and most of the US troops were fighting eastern european conscripts. notable exception being the dietrich's SS's putrefied corpse during the battle of the bulge when hitler insanely diverted them from the eastern front

the battles of kursk, stalingrad, moscow, kiev, smolensk etc were each more bloody and impactful than the entire western front combined. that's crazy.

i always found the pacific theater more interesting because of this. plus soviets were significantly more evil than the nazis imo. pacific theater was pure black vs white.

The logistics and technology of the Pacific War have always fascinated the hell out of me. Crazy to imagine that there's been a period in history where another nation has managed to put to sea a large fleet of air craft carriers. We've had a monopoly pretty much in naval air power since 1945.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    WW2 Nazi Germany

The logistics and technology of the Pacific War have always fascinated the hell out of me. Crazy to imagine that there's been a period in history where another nation has managed to put to sea a large fleet of air craft carriers. We've had a monopoly pretty much in naval air power since 1945.
    we?
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,586
    edited August 2018
    WW2 Nazi Germany

we?
    Yes, I'm an American citizen and my tax dollars pay for it. Therefor, We.
    Whatever bro. I didn't even want to be in your dumb club
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,767

Japs were cruel evil little fucks. Most combat was no quarter given.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

I'd love to hear you expound on this. I grew up hating both so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but Godwin's law exists for a reason. CW is that the Nazis were the worst ever. I'd love to hear the full case against the reds (non @Swaye division).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WW1 Imperial Germany
    dnc said:

I'd love to hear you expound on this. I grew up hating both so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but Godwin's law exists for a reason. CW is that the Nazis were the worst ever. I'd love to hear the full case against the reds (non @Swaye division).
    This will be fodder for next weeks higher level history discussion pole.