Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mightier military vis-a-vis the contemporary competition: Imperial Germany or Nazi Germany?

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,767
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

Neither!

America #1

They both lost. Winning counts especially in war.

Sure winners win and loser lose. But still....it's not like the USA circa 1941- 45 could have defeated Germany mano y mano. Same with 1917 USA vs Germany. In either instance, other countries killed far more Germans than we did.
    We would have beaten them alone if need be. Only Russia killed more but they wouldn't have if we weren't supplying them and the Brits and France etc. We were the engine of that war and defeated the Japanese at the same damn time!
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,916
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WW1 Imperial Germany
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Neither!

America #1

Sure winners win and loser lose. But still....it's not like the USA circa 1941- 45 could have defeated Germany mano y mano. Same with 1917 USA vs Germany. In either instance, other countries killed far more Germans than we did.
    We would have beaten them alone if need be. Only Russia killed more but they wouldn't have if we weren't supplying them and the Brits and France etc. We were the engine of that war and defeated the Japanese at the same damn time!
    Doubtful; the cost if lives would have been far more than a democracy such as ours could bear. If you took all the divisions that Germany had in the East and lined them up along the Atlantic Coast, they could have repelled a US invasion of any size rather easily.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WW1 Imperial Germany

I’m taking WWII in this one. For me it boils down to innovation. No Navy? No problem. They can terrorize the Atlantic crossing with U-boats.

Tanks were top notch. Artillery was super effective. Infantry was professional and motivated. And the blitz changed the game. If Hitler wasn’t such a dipshit strategically, his scientists would have developed nukes and then its game over. Instead he wasted half his army in Russia, and wasted resources on the V-2.

I’d argue not finishing off England was their biggest mistake though. Without England as a staging ground, retaking Europe would have been really fucking hard. We didn’t exactly roll through Italy like we had hoped...

Except wars are not usually won by technology and innovation alone. In other words these things don't mean shit if your political leadership sucks and you have poor strategy. Again, in WWI Germany's strategy came within a C-hair of winning twice- i.e., Aug of 1914 and Spring of 1918. Germany in WWII never got that close to winning.
    The ball bearing, the aircraft carrier, and the atomic bomb respectfully disagree with your anti technology campaign w/r/t WWII.

Sure there are examples of underpowered insurgents/revolutionary movements beating global powers with superior tech, but those were almost always political defeats. In large scale conventional conflicts, tech plays a massive role. I’d argue that German industry and science gave them the edge to do what they did. It wasn’t manpower. It wasn’t genius strategic leadership (obviously). And it wasn’t really natural resources or economic advantages. They had to seize those.

Tech MATTERS. I hope this post made you THINK and CARE.
    Of course, the Tech / Innovations matters and the USA, Brits and Germans we're pretty evenly matched against each other in WWII tech wise. Brits invented radar. Germans had the first fighter Jets and Rockets (though neither impacted the outcome). And the USA had carriers, long range bombers, and the bomb. Oh and we had by far the best infantry weapon of the war- i.e., M-1 rifle.

But we're getting off topic here I think. We're not debating whether WWII Germany could beat WWI Germany (of course it could because of tech), bur rather was Germany 1.0 more powerful relative to its enemies at the time compared to Germany 2.0. And I think Germany 1.0 had a lot far fewer weaknesses than Germany 2.0 as fighting machine.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    WW2 Nazi Germany
    Swaye said:

I’m taking WWII in this one. For me it boils down to innovation. No Navy? No problem. They can terrorize the Atlantic crossing with U-boats.

Tanks were top notch. Artillery was super effective. Infantry was professional and motivated. And the blitz changed the game. If Hitler wasn’t such a dipshit strategically, his scientists would have developed nukes and then its game over. Instead he wasted half his army in Russia, and wasted resources on the V-2.

I’d argue not finishing off England was their biggest mistake though. Without England as a staging ground, retaking Europe would have been really fucking hard. We didn’t exactly roll through Italy like we had hoped...

Except wars are not usually won by technology and innovation alone. In other words these things don't mean shit if your political leadership sucks and you have poor strategy. Again, in WWI Germany's strategy came within a C-hair of winning twice- i.e., Aug of 1914 and Spring of 1918. Germany in WWII never got that close to winning.
    The ball bearing, the aircraft carrier, and the atomic bomb respectfully disagree with your anti technology campaign w/r/t WWII.

Sure there are examples of underpowered insurgents/revolutionary movements beating global powers with superior tech, but those were almost always political defeats. In large scale conventional conflicts, tech plays a massive role. I’d argue that German industry and science gave them the edge to do what they did. It wasn’t manpower. It wasn’t genius strategic leadership (obviously). And it wasn’t really natural resources or economic advantages. They had to seize those.

Of course, the Tech / Innovations matters and the USA, Brits and Germans we're pretty evenly matched against each other in WWII tech wise. Brits invented radar. Germans had the first fighter Jets and Rockets (though neither impacted the outcome). And the USA had carriers, long range bombers, and the bomb. Oh and we had by far the best infantry weapon of the war- i.e., M-1 rifle.

But we're getting off topic here I think. We're not debating whether WWII Germany could beat WWI Germany (of course it could because of tech), bur rather was Germany 1.0 more powerful relative to its enemies at the time compared to Germany 2.0. And I think Germany 1.0 had a lot far fewer weaknesses than Germany 2.0 as fighting machine.
    We should settle this with a game of Risk.
    First pick, I’m taking Australia. GG, bitches.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WW1 Imperial Germany

Swaye said:

We should settle this with a game of Risk.
    First pick, I’m taking Australia. GG, bitches.
    You lose Tommy! It's harder to push them over the lines than pass the Dardanelles @Dardanus

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    WW1 Imperial Germany

Tech matters a lot, but maybe industrial base matters more. It's staggering how much shit we! built in four years.
    Consider, of those bad ass Tiger I and Tiger II tanks, the Germans built 1,839 of them. We? built over 49,000 Sherman tanks. The Soviets built over 34,000 T-34's which was probably the most important tank of WWII.

• Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    WW2 Nazi Germany

Tech matters a lot, but maybe industrial base matters more. It's staggering how much shit we! built in four years.
    Consider, of those bad ass Tiger I and Tiger II tanks, the Germans built 1,839 of them. We? built over 49,000 Sherman tanks. The Soviets built over 34,000 T-34's which was probably the most important tank of WWII.

Tiger I was a mediocre tank, too many straight flat surfaces to catch incoming rounds. Tiger II was much better, but it was a heavy tank, not a medium one.

Panthers were much better, more angled sloping lines to the chassis and turret, and they made about 6,000 of them. They also made 8,500 Panzer IV variants. So between the IV/Tiger/Panthers, there's 16,000 tanks.

The US went to full war footing/production almost immediately. Germany resisted doing that until around 1943. Even so, per capita, they made a comparable number of tanks to the US/USSR

And the atomic bomb had a lot less to do with the end of the war than the Soviet declaration of war on August 8
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    WW2 Nazi Germany
    BearsWiin said:

Tiger I was a mediocre tank, too many straight flat surfaces to catch incoming rounds. Tiger II was much better, but it was a heavy tank, not a medium one.

Panthers were much better, more angled sloping lines to the chassis and turret, and they made about 6,000 of them. They also made 8,500 Panzer IV variants. So between the IV/Tiger/Panthers, there's 16,000 tanks.

The US went to full war footing/production almost immediately. Germany resisted doing that until around 1943. Even so, per capita, they made a comparable number of tanks to the US/USSR

And the atomic bomb had a lot less to do with the end of the war than the Soviet declaration of war on August 8
    The cancelled invasion of the Japanese home islands disagrees. The war was over. I’m talking about ending it for good vs killing millions more before it was official.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2018
    WW2 Nazi Germany

BearsWiin said:

The cancelled invasion of the Japanese home islands disagrees. The war was over. I’m talking about ending it for good vs killing millions more before it was official.
    I invite you to read the minutes of the Imperial War Cabinet meeting of August 10 1945. They figured they could hold out against a bombing campaign, and the US would sue for some sort of peace before it would take the casualties required for the invasion of the home islands. They knew damn well that Stalin had no such qualms about sacrificing hundreds of thousands of Soviet soldiers.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,767
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Neither!

America #1

Doubtful; the cost if lives would have been far more than a democracy such as ours could bear. If you took all the divisions that Germany had in the East and lined them up along the Atlantic Coast, they could have repelled a US invasion of any size rather easily.
    Not after we nuked them.
  • Options
    HippopeteamusHippopeteamus Member Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    WW1 Imperial Germany
    It should also be kept in mind that German logistics especially at the start of world war 2 were shit. They were highly dependent on horse drawn supplies. This allowed, for instance, the evacuation from Dunkirk as the armored units had to wait for the rest of the troops and supplies. I have also heard it said that one reason the Germans didn't use chemical weapons during the allied invasion was because they couldn't get gas masks for their horses to work (although I'm not sure how true that anecdote is). I also believe that they relied heavily on Czech tanks and tank design at the beginning of the war.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited August 2018
    WW2 Nazi Germany
    Once the invasion of the USSR failed by December 1941, Hitler was done. It was only a matter of time. Not only was the Wermacht's aura of invincibility shattered, it was the genesis of Hitler not trusting his (elite) generals and taking matters into his own fucktarded hands. "No retreat under any circumstances" policy? He's lucky his generals ignored him and pulled back some, or else losses would have been exponentially worse.

People point out to the delayed invasion start date, the swing south to Kiev, or the attacks on Greece/Yugoslavia as contributing factors, but honestly Barbarossa always would have failed. Hitler severely underestimated the fighting strength of the Soviet troops, their ability to quickly replenish their numbers (despite losing 3 million in '41 they had essentially replaced them by Jan '42), and Soviet armor (which to his horror was far superior than German, and Tiger tanks were 2+ years away anyway). Moscow falling wouldn't have changed a thing except stretch their supply lines even further. Ask Napoleon.

Once it became about attrition and not blitzkrieg by 1941's end, Hitler's doom was assured. The Americans played no real part in defeating Germany beyond preventing the Germans from retreating westward as the Red Army hordes advanced, preventing millions of women from being raped, and curbing Stalin's initial desire to spread communism to the shores of the Atlantic. Remember lend lease had no material influence until 1943 when 7/10 of the prime German fighting force was dead in the east or rotting away in some Kolyma gulag.

To accomplish what they did despite the bullshit though should easily qualify them as the winner of this pole, and probably top 5 fighting force of all time. Wermacht. Modern US. Mongol Empire under Genghis or Kublai Khan. Roman Republic/Empire after Marius's reforms. And....maybe the Grande Armée?

edit: to further answer the OPs question, WW1 German Navy >>>>> WW2. It probably could have stood up to the Royal Navy if it was 1:1. Russia couldn't arm themselves properly at all, the Schlieffen Plan -- while allowing some initial headway -- bogged down and locked them into a stalemate. Without American involvement here they very well might have been able to sue for quasi favorable peace terms. So in that sense they were superior to WW2 in that they didn't doom themselves and bite off more than they could chew. Hmm.

I've edited my post 4 times because the more I think about it, the more impressed I am with their WW1 performance. Now IDK what to say.

Interesting thread.

tldr