Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Obama in Africa

13»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

Isn't the whole argument that you have to be born on us soil?

I can't run for president for that reason

McCain was born on an army base as I recall in Germany
    Canal Zone is not in Germany.
    So?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,943 Founders Club

Isn't the whole argument that you have to be born on us soil?

I can't run for president for that reason

McCain was born on an army base as I recall in Germany
    Canal Zone is not in Germany.
    So?
    So buttons.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    edited July 2018
    One must be a "natural born us citizen"

But it doesn't say what the criteria of that are
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member Posts: 1,796
    Born on US soil or born abroad and at least one of your parents is a US citizen. There’s some additional paperwork to be done if born abroad.
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    edited July 2018
    A good analysis of the meaning of "natural born citizen" is here.

TL;DR: It's pretty clear that the phrase refers to anyone who is a citizen at birth. So Barack Hussein Obama (with his indisputably born-in-Kansas, U.S.-citizen mother) was qualified to be President, even if he had been born in Kenya, and so were John McCain and even Ted Cruz's born-in-Canada ass.
    So I'm in.
    USMChawk said:

Born on US soil or born abroad and at least one of your parents is a US citizen. There’s some additional paperwork to be done if born abroad.

Like what?

I'm just curious because my birth certificate is a us birth certificate. As far as I know I don't have a Canadian one at all.

I'm assuming my mom had to let the consulate know or something. Or maybe it's just so common Canada has a process.
  • Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,246 Swaye's Wigwam
    Squirt said:

TL;DR: It's pretty clear that the phrase refers to anyone who is a citizen at birth. So Barack Hussein Obama (with his indisputably born-in-Kansas, U.S.-citizen mother) was qualified to be President, even if he had been born in Kenya, and so were John McCain and even Ted Cruz's born-in-Canada ass.

Both parents have to be citizens and one of whom has had residence in the US or one of it's outlying possessions prior to the birth of the child.

So I'm in.

USMChawk said:

Like what?

I'm just curious because my birth certificate is a us birth certificate. As far as I know I don't have a Canadian one at all.

I'm assuming my mom had to let the consulate know or something. Or maybe it's just so common Canada has a process.
    If you have a US birth certificate then you qualify as a natural born citizen. Why do you think you’re ineligible to run for President?
    Dude61 said:

Squirt said:

Both parents have to be citizens and one of whom has had residence in the US or one of it's outlying possessions prior to the birth of the child.
    I don’t believe this is true. Just one parent is all it takes.

USMChawk said:

So I'm in.

USMChawk said:

Like what?

If you have a US birth certificate then you qualify as a natural born citizen. Why do you think you’re ineligible to run for President?
    I thought you had to be born on US soil.

My life is a lie!
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,087 Standard Supporter
    IIRC the definition for natural born citizen was decided in People vs. Happsett

At common-law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners. Some authorities go further and include as citizens children born within the jurisdiction without reference to the citizenship of their [88 U.S. 162, 168] parents. As to this class there have been doubts, but never as to the first.

Note it says "parents who were citizens" plural. So two citizen parents and born here. I'm no legal scholar maybe Creep will weigh in.
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    Sledog said:

At common-law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives, or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners. Some authorities go further and include as citizens children born within the jurisdiction without reference to the citizenship of their [88 U.S. 162, 168] parents. As to this class there have been doubts, but never as to the first.

Note it says "parents who were citizens" plural. So two citizen parents and born here. I'm no legal scholar maybe Creep will weigh in.

One legal take is in the linked essay I posted earlier. As much as we all respect the legal scholarship of pretend lawyers, the linked essay was written by former U.S. Solicitors General Paul Clement and Neal Katyal. Obama would qualify as a "natural born citizen" even under the Naturalization Act of 1790, which was enacted by Congress when many of the Framers were serving in Congress: "The Naturalization Act of 1790 expanded the class of citizens at birth to include children born abroad of citizen mothers as long as the father had at least been resident in the United States at some point." Barack Obama, Sr. was resident in the U.S. at some point. Nowadays, to be considered a citizen at birth under U.S. law, the father does not have to have been resident at any point.

If you want to really get in the weeds, you can read this long law-review article that posits different meanings of the constitutional language and the Naturalization Act of 1790.

Note that the "Happesett" opinion talked about the issue as an aside, but the justices didn't really decide the issue. The opinion says, "For the purposes of this case it is not necessary to solve these doubts."

The State Department (those fucking commies) explains the process under current law for certifying the birthright citizenship of a child born abroad to one or two U.S. citizens, here and here.

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    The critical issue of our time
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Sledog said:

I like to drop IIRC then drop copypasta.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,087 Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Sledog said:

I like to drop IIRC then drop copypasta.
    Yes. I fucking do like it!