Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Which program - should they win another NT - replace SC or ND on Mt Rushmore?

Comments

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Keep toeing the party line doogs. You're making USC proud. Who the fuck puts Notre Dame and USC ahead of two programs that won multiple titles in the BCS era?

People without a vested interest in discrediting football before 1998? I'll give it to you that you are at least consistent in applying your stupid standard.
    Totally agree.

1980 or thereabouts is a much better cut-off.
    Many experts now say that the Golden Age of College Football was from 1910 to 1920

#Dobie

#63nonlosingstreak

#DominatetheBattleShips
    That was before the rugby split when the pussies started using helmets and pads. #hawtrugbytake
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma

These positions do not change. Once they have been set, they stay that way forever. Learn them, live them, love them.

There's a reason they are called the IRON laws. When has anything referred to as IRON ever collapsed?

Iron Age ended around 1st century BC. Steel is much better. But it didn't collapse like Bronze did.
    He has no idea what you're referencing.
    Sure he does. @AUBURNTROJAN is smarter than he looks.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited June 2018
    Write-in Option

Keep toeing the party line doogs. You're making USC proud. Who the fuck puts Notre Dame and USC ahead of two programs that won multiple titles in the BCS era?

People without a vested interest in discrediting football before 1998? I'll give it to you that you are at least consistent in applying your stupid standard.
    Standards change over time. Standards in football have been steadily increasing with the creation of BCS and now the playoff format. A title USC claims from back in the 50's or 60's =/= the one from 2004. And the one from 2004 would now be less valuable than any they might win going forward due to the increased difficulty. Today's national titles hold more weight. So you all can fuck off with Notre Dame on Mt. Rushmore. USC is standing in line, I'll give you that much, but they sure as fuck don't have a spot on the mountain currently.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Miami

Totally agree.

Many experts now say that the Golden Age of College Football was from 1910 to 1920

#Dobie

#63nonlosingstreak

#DominatetheBattleShips
    Only Raysissts say that because of no blicks.

I'm sure of it.

All kidding aside, Gloomy got it the fuck done! Even if there is some shit scheduling peppered in there, that's what everyone did back then, and no losses in 63 tries is pretty remarkable, even controlling for the variables.

Derek will have to chime in here, but the way he was let go as I recall was pretty unceremonious relative to what he accomplished. The guy was nails; no doubt about it.
    Miami
    ^Of course, I could just ask you since you were there!
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,715
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma

Totally agree.

#Dobie

#63nonlosingstreak

#DominatetheBattleShips

I'm sure of it.

All kidding aside, Gloomy got it the fuck done! Even if there is some shit scheduling peppered in there, that's what everyone did back then, and no losses in 63 tries is pretty remarkable, even controlling for the variables.

Derek will have to chime in here, but the way he was let go as I recall was pretty unceremonious relative to what he accomplished. The guy was nails; no doubt about it.
    Suzzzalo was the Gerberding of his time
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    Doing some research

In Living Color: African American Alumni Remember
    By Jon Marmor
    There is no way to tell who was the first African American student at the UW, the first to graduate, or what it was like for black students to go to college here in the early part of the 20th century.

True, we do know that Hamilton Greene, a law student from Seattle, was the first black football player and a member of the 1924 Rose Bowl team. But prior to those years, the history of African American students at the UW has faded away, perhaps never to be found. To preserve the memories of other African American students in living color, and to give all readers an impression of the black experience at the UW, we interviewed black alumni who went here during the '30s, '40s, '50s, '60s, '70s, and '80s.

loomy Gil Dobie (1908-1916)

Due to the constant flow of new arrivals flooding into Seattle, the area's population swelled. Civic leaders fostered visions of Seattle becoming a beacon city on America's West Coast. They decided that a powerhouse football team could further the city's national reputation. Soon after, Washington boldly hired a coveted coach named Gilmour Dobie at the stunning salary of $3,000 a year.

In his nine seasons at Washington, Dobie never lost a game. He compiled a record of 58-0-3, which included a 39-game winning streak and was part of a streak of 63 consecutive games without a defeat. As of 2008, the latter remains a NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) record. In those same nine seasons, Washington surrendered only 12 touchdowns.

Dobie also was dour, gruff, and intimidating. Recalled a former player: "No smile, no handshakes, no slap on the back -- nothing but a pair of eyes peering coldly out of a dark face that was hidden partially by a slouch hat drawn loosely over a head of mussed black hair" (The Glory of Washington, 49).

During the 1916 season, the university's administration suspended a player for an alleged exam irregularity. Washington players threatened to strike, and Dobie supported them. This infuriated new UW President Henry Suzzallo (1875-1933). Rumors swirled for days that Suzzallo blamed Dobie for urging the strike. C. B. Yandell, Seattle's Chamber of Commerce Secretary, announced: "Washington needs Dobie. His loss would be a loss to Seattle and to the state" (100 Years of Husky Football, 56).

Finally, Suzzallo released a statement that concluded: "The chief function of the university is to train character. Mr. Dobie failed to perform his full share of this service on the football field. Therefore, we do not wish him to return next year" (100 Years of Husky Football, 56).

This news devastated thousands of Washington fans, who had seen their team achieve nine consecutive undefeated seasons. In response to his firing, Dobie stated that he had fulfilled his responsibilities in a thorough manner. "Dr. Suzzallo does me wrong when he says that I did otherwise" (100 Years of Husky Football, 56).

Over 30 years later, a former player stepped forward and admitted that it was he, and not Dobie, who had instigated the insubordination.

Dobie is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.
  • AUBURNTROJANAUBURNTROJAN Member Posts: 192
    Write-in Option

These positions do not change. Once they have been set, they stay that way forever. Learn them, live them, love them.

There's a reason they are called the IRON laws. When has anything referred to as IRON ever collapsed?

Iron Age ended around 1st century BC. Steel is much better. But it didn't collapse like Bronze did.
    Steel just needs more time to get its own laws in there
    Write-in Option
    dnc said:

Let's say UW decides to shut down football and Pete has to find a job. Every school in America offers him, and he decides he doesn't care about anything but winning a title. Where do you think this elite coach is going?

1. Alabama - there's no better place to win
    2. USC - We know Pete doesn't want to coach there, but humor me
    3. tOSU - right there with anybody

So it's the fourth spot that is up for grabs. I think he's going to Oklahoma 100 years before ND. I'm not sure ND is top 10 in this metric at this point.

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

I get it, Rushmore is about what you've done, whereas this poast is about what you can do. But these rankings are far more pertinent.

Kill yourself for putting USC in second place.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Oklahoma

dnc said:

Let's say UW decides to shut down football and Pete has to find a job. Every school in America offers him, and he decides he doesn't care about anything but winning a title. Where do you think this elite coach is going?

So it's the fourth spot that is up for grabs. I think he's going to Oklahoma 100 years before ND. I'm not sure ND is top 10 in this metric at this point.

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

I get it, Rushmore is about what you've done, whereas this poast is about what you can do. But these rankings are far more pertinent.

If I gotta kill myself for being right I won't last long
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma

dnc said:

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

At a Rushmore school all you need is a good corch. Look at Bammer from 1982- 2008. One great season and that's it.
    Miami

Totally agree.

#Dobie

#63nonlosingstreak

#DominatetheBattleShips

I'm sure of it.

Suzzzalo was the Gerberding of his time
    Fucking academis. You'd think the school was there for school or some shit. Fuck those guysm.
    Miami

Doing some research

In Living Color: African American Alumni Remember
    By Jon Marmor
    There is no way to tell who was the first African American student at the UW, the first to graduate, or what it was like for black students to go to college here in the early part of the 20th century.

True, we do know that Hamilton Greene, a law student from Seattle, was the first black football player and a member of the 1924 Rose Bowl team. But prior to those years, the history of African American students at the UW has faded away, perhaps never to be found. To preserve the memories of other African American students in living color, and to give all readers an impression of the black experience at the UW, we interviewed black alumni who went here during the '30s, '40s, '50s, '60s, '70s, and '80s.

loomy Gil Dobie (1908-1916)

Due to the constant flow of new arrivals flooding into Seattle, the area's population swelled. Civic leaders fostered visions of Seattle becoming a beacon city on America's West Coast. They decided that a powerhouse football team could further the city's national reputation. Soon after, Washington boldly hired a coveted coach named Gilmour Dobie at the stunning salary of $3,000 a year.

In his nine seasons at Washington, Dobie never lost a game. He compiled a record of 58-0-3, which included a 39-game winning streak and was part of a streak of 63 consecutive games without a defeat. As of 2008, the latter remains a NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) record. In those same nine seasons, Washington surrendered only 12 touchdowns.

Dobie also was dour, gruff, and intimidating. Recalled a former player: "No smile, no handshakes, no slap on the back -- nothing but a pair of eyes peering coldly out of a dark face that was hidden partially by a slouch hat drawn loosely over a head of mussed black hair" (The Glory of Washington, 49).

During the 1916 season, the university's administration suspended a player for an alleged exam irregularity. Washington players threatened to strike, and Dobie supported them. This infuriated new UW President Henry Suzzallo (1875-1933). Rumors swirled for days that Suzzallo blamed Dobie for urging the strike. C. B. Yandell, Seattle's Chamber of Commerce Secretary, announced: "Washington needs Dobie. His loss would be a loss to Seattle and to the state" (100 Years of Husky Football, 56).

Finally, Suzzallo released a statement that concluded: "The chief function of the university is to train character. Mr. Dobie failed to perform his full share of this service on the football field. Therefore, we do not wish him to return next year" (100 Years of Husky Football, 56).

This news devastated thousands of Washington fans, who had seen their team achieve nine consecutive undefeated seasons. In response to his firing, Dobie stated that he had fulfilled his responsibilities in a thorough manner. "Dr. Suzzallo does me wrong when he says that I did otherwise" (100 Years of Husky Football, 56).

Over 30 years later, a former player stepped forward and admitted that it was he, and not Dobie, who had instigated the insubordination.

Dobie is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.

Or we could just ask you what he was like. You know why.
    Write-in Option

dnc said:

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

At a Rushmore school all you need is a good corch. Look at Bammer from 1982- 2008. One great season and that's it.
    Thats a quarter century stretch of being a nothing team. A team that goes a quarter century doing nothing, is nothing special on its own merits. All the extra hocus pocus intangibles like 'tradition' are just lipstick on a pig. Bama will go back to being a shit team again after Saban's gone, and they won't be great again until the find the next elite HC. WSU could make Mt. Rushmore with an elite head coach. Maybe Rushmore should have coaches on it instead of teams, since that's what matters most.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Oklahoma

dnc said:

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

Thats a quarter century stretch of being a nothing team. A team that goes a quarter century doing nothing, is nothing special on its own merits. All the extra hocus pocus intangibles like 'tradition' are just lipstick on a pig. Bama will go back to being a shit team again after Saban's gone, and they won't be great again until the find the next elite HC. WSU could make Mt. Rushmore with an elite head coach. Maybe Rushmore should have coaches on it instead of teams, since that's what matters most.
    You just made the entire poont.

WSU couldn't keep an elite head coach were they to ever hire one. Dennis Erickson was the closest they ever came and he made it two years before moving to an elite program.

hth
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

WSU couldn't keep an elite head coach were they to ever hire one. Dennis Erickson was the closest they ever came and he made it two years before moving to an elite program.

hth
    Good call on Denny

Oregon State couldn't keep him either

Miami didn't want to keep him
    Miami

dnc said:

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

You lost me there.
    Write-in Option
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

hth
    Cool, I'm going to go kill myself now for being right.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

hth
    Urban Meyer was a GOOD coach at Utah.