Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lathan Ransom, 2020 4* DB, Tucson (Salpointe Catholic), AZ (Offered 5/14/18)

Comments

• Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Elite-safety-Lathan-Ransom-talks-finalists-Notre-Dame-Ohio-State-LSU-Oklahoma-Texas-132586009/

Oklahoma — “Oklahoma is winning every year. Every year they are in the playoffs or the Big 12 title winner. They have a great defensive coordinator in coach Grinch. I’m excited to see what they do this year. The defense could be as good as the offense and if that happens, they will contend for a title every single year. I really like coach Riley a lot. He’s great. The fans were crazy when I was up there and I know they have a strong alumni.”

Are you kidding me lol?

it's called fucking sales and we suck at it!!!! We literally have the best defense on the west coast, but he's more convinced that Oklahoma will be better in 1-2 years. That is called Oklahoma's recruiters are better than ours for selling Lathan.
    You think Jimmy didn't sell him UW's defensive success and NFL development? He just wasn't interested. UW ain't for everybody. Just because he's in Pac-12 recruiting territory doesn't mean he considers himself a West coast kid. Oklahoma and Texas are closer to Arizona than UW is. Some kids just aren't fucking interested no matter how good at sales you are and Jimmy Lake is pretty damn good. Can't get them all.
    Great points BUT IT DIDNT WORK AND to not make his top 5 IS UNACCEPTABLE.
    Unacceptable? High expectations are good. But you're being unrealistic. Nobody gets whoever they want. Not even Bama and Clemson. This kid can go anywhere he wants and wasn't interested in UW from the very beginning. He's obviously not interested in playing in the Pac-12. UW is not gonna waste their time on a kid that's not coming here no matter what when they can easily get a guy just as talented in Covington who values his UW offer. No matter what kind of success UW has, there will always be a few elite recruits every cycle who are just flat out not interested and it's the same thing for every other program in the country. This is one of those cases.
    I don't see anyone lamenting the loss of JUST this kid. But in the aggregate we're whiffing on a lot of top DB prospects. Which is very bizarre given who we have recruiting that position and his track record. Jimmy set the new standard with the 2018 class, but we're having trouble getting back to that level of success.
    It's not a lot. It's literally just this kid and Ringo who has obviously been steered in a different direction by his mom.

Let's not act like Oklahoma isn't all over Covington and just brought him in for an OV a couple weeks ago. Then UW offered and Covington is like Oklahoma who? It goes both ways.

The entire Pac-12 wants Trey Paster. He moves like Dom Hampton at a similar size. His Senior year film will probably be amazing. UW will get him with ease.

DB recruiting is looking elite as usual. I think this DB class will be as good as the 2018 DB class of Hampton, Gordon, and Irvin.

It's OLB recruiting that looks like shit right now. We should be getting Savell Smalls and Jaden Navarette without much trouble.
    It's not a lot?

Ringo, Ricks, Ransom, Watts, and Phillips have already eliminated us. You can probably also add Alford to the list too. That's a lot of misses. Now the DB class out west is pretty loaded so it's not a bad year for consolation prizes, but you don't just get to make up reality and pretend we haven't whiffed on our top targets.
    You don't get to count kids that A. were never interested from the moment they were offered and B. UW cooled on.

You're avoiding the context to fit your narrative that UW has whiffed on all these DB recruits when they haven't.

If they were to offer 20+ DB prospects around the nation, but can only take 3-4 of them, does that mean they whiffed on all the others? Obviously not.

Watts and Alford were not interested at all. Those aren't whiffs. If UW offers some Florida DB and he pays the offer no mind, is that a whiff by UW? No. A whiff is when UW wants a kid and the kid reciprocates that interest but then either loses interest in UW or chooses another school over UW.

Phillips was offered and was interested in UW but he was cooled on by the coaches for other prospects that are taller and longer than he is. Happens every cycle. People should be used to it by now and recognize it when it happens.

Ricks was offered and was interested enough to take a visit to UW early on but after getting to know him, he wasn't our kinda guy. He's looking for early playing time and the status of a bigger brand school. He cares about status and swag and LSU gives him that with NFL development as well. Happens every year. A top recruit gets offered, the coaches get to know him more, and then realize it's not a fit for either party and so both parties move on.

Ringo was highly interested until his mom really got involved and steered him away from UW. I don't consider that a whiff because that is out of Jimmy Lake's control.

Ransom is really the only legit DB whiff so far in this class.

Context matters. You are not stupid enough to ignore it. You ignored it on purpose to fit your narrative. Some people just want to be negative no matter what. I'm negative when it's rational for me to be negative. But right now DB recruiting is looking very good and we have some big commitments coming down the pipe so I'm feeling mostly good about our recruiting right now.
    So kids that we offered but were never that interested in us don't count as misses? Police departments everywhere must envy your ability to massage stats.
    Yep. There has to be mutual interest for it to be a miss. It also can't be a kid UW offered and then passed on for whatever reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Elite-safety-Lathan-Ransom-talks-finalists-Notre-Dame-Ohio-State-LSU-Oklahoma-Texas-132586009/

Oklahoma — “Oklahoma is winning every year. Every year they are in the playoffs or the Big 12 title winner. They have a great defensive coordinator in coach Grinch. I’m excited to see what they do this year. The defense could be as good as the offense and if that happens, they will contend for a title every single year. I really like coach Riley a lot. He’s great. The fans were crazy when I was up there and I know they have a strong alumni.”

Are you kidding me lol?

it's called fucking sales and we suck at it!!!! We literally have the best defense on the west coast, but he's more convinced that Oklahoma will be better in 1-2 years. That is called Oklahoma's recruiters are better than ours for selling Lathan.
    You think Jimmy didn't sell him UW's defensive success and NFL development? He just wasn't interested. UW ain't for everybody. Just because he's in Pac-12 recruiting territory doesn't mean he considers himself a West coast kid. Oklahoma and Texas are closer to Arizona than UW is. Some kids just aren't fucking interested no matter how good at sales you are and Jimmy Lake is pretty damn good. Can't get them all.
    Great points BUT IT DIDNT WORK AND to not make his top 5 IS UNACCEPTABLE.
    Unacceptable? High expectations are good. But you're being unrealistic. Nobody gets whoever they want. Not even Bama and Clemson. This kid can go anywhere he wants and wasn't interested in UW from the very beginning. He's obviously not interested in playing in the Pac-12. UW is not gonna waste their time on a kid that's not coming here no matter what when they can easily get a guy just as talented in Covington who values his UW offer. No matter what kind of success UW has, there will always be a few elite recruits every cycle who are just flat out not interested and it's the same thing for every other program in the country. This is one of those cases.
    I don't see anyone lamenting the loss of JUST this kid. But in the aggregate we're whiffing on a lot of top DB prospects. Which is very bizarre given who we have recruiting that position and his track record. Jimmy set the new standard with the 2018 class, but we're having trouble getting back to that level of success.
    It's not a lot. It's literally just this kid and Ringo who has obviously been steered in a different direction by his mom.

Let's not act like Oklahoma isn't all over Covington and just brought him in for an OV a couple weeks ago. Then UW offered and Covington is like Oklahoma who? It goes both ways.

The entire Pac-12 wants Trey Paster. He moves like Dom Hampton at a similar size. His Senior year film will probably be amazing. UW will get him with ease.

DB recruiting is looking elite as usual. I think this DB class will be as good as the 2018 DB class of Hampton, Gordon, and Irvin.

It's OLB recruiting that looks like shit right now. We should be getting Savell Smalls and Jaden Navarette without much trouble.
    It's not a lot?

Ringo, Ricks, Ransom, Watts, and Phillips have already eliminated us. You can probably also add Alford to the list too. That's a lot of misses. Now the DB class out west is pretty loaded so it's not a bad year for consolation prizes, but you don't just get to make up reality and pretend we haven't whiffed on our top targets.
    You don't get to count kids that A. were never interested from the moment they were offered and B. UW cooled on.

You're avoiding the context to fit your narrative that UW has whiffed on all these DB recruits when they haven't.

If they were to offer 20+ DB prospects around the nation, but can only take 3-4 of them, does that mean they whiffed on all the others? Obviously not.

Watts and Alford were not interested at all. Those aren't whiffs. If UW offers some Florida DB and he pays the offer no mind, is that a whiff by UW? No. A whiff is when UW wants a kid and the kid reciprocates that interest but then either loses interest in UW or chooses another school over UW.

Phillips was offered and was interested in UW but he was cooled on by the coaches for other prospects that are taller and longer than he is. Happens every cycle. People should be used to it by now and recognize it when it happens.

Ricks was offered and was interested enough to take a visit to UW early on but after getting to know him, he wasn't our kinda guy. He's looking for early playing time and the status of a bigger brand school. He cares about status and swag and LSU gives him that with NFL development as well. Happens every year. A top recruit gets offered, the coaches get to know him more, and then realize it's not a fit for either party and so both parties move on.

Ringo was highly interested until his mom really got involved and steered him away from UW. I don't consider that a whiff because that is out of Jimmy Lake's control.

Ransom is really the only legit DB whiff so far in this class.

Context matters. You are not stupid enough to ignore it. You ignored it on purpose to fit your narrative. Some people just want to be negative no matter what. I'm negative when it's rational for me to be negative. But right now DB recruiting is looking very good and we have some big commitments coming down the pipe so I'm feeling mostly good about our recruiting right now.
    So kids that we offered but were never that interested in us don't count as misses? Police departments everywhere must envy your ability to massage stats.
    Yep. There has to be mutual interest for it to be a miss. It also can't be a kid UW offered and then passed on for whatever reason.
    We should probably also remove situations where the kid visited and it was raining from the stats. Also, if the other school lied to the recruit in order to steal a commitment from us then that doesn't count as a loss.

With rules like these we're gonna be batting 1.000 in no time!
    I think we're doing pretty damn good with DB recruiting. But feel free to keep bitching about the wrong things if you feel inclined to do so.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,901
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Tequilla said:

There is some truth to what SAC is saying ...

There’s also a lot of purple shades spin in there as well

Ringo will be a miss if we don’t land him ... period

Smalls is a miss if we don’t land him ... period

There are always reasons ... but that doesn’t mean that some of those reasons aren’t controllable by UW

I agree. And I say that as a pretty well known hardcore "results" guy.

I think I get his (SAC) meaning, though it is a bit strong for me. If we offer some kid and he is just not down at all from the start, then I kind of get the "no whiff" thing. Some kids just don't want UW at all ever. Ok fine. It does beg the question of why we would extend an offer to a kid with zero interest, but whatever, it happens I guess?

The part I diverge from SAC is the coaches cooled part. There is no way, knowing how our coaching staff so thoroughly vets these kids before an offer (see Latu, Simon), that our staff cools on them for reasons related to personality. Maybe very occasionally if some major red flag comes up, but our staff is known for their due diligence. If our staff is cooling on them I think it is usually because they are giving up when they see the winds directly against them, or whatever.

TL;DR: Not all whiffs are created equally, but most whiffs are on the coaches not selling a kid properly, and occasionally due to kids just not being interested at all.
    I don’t know swaye, this feels like justification for poor results. I get the whole cooling thing but the fact that such a vetting process occurs to get the offer, I can’t comprehend why they would cool on any offered croot. (One offs and unforeseen circumstances aside).

As far as the logic I feel like I was hitting on a 10 at the bar. She wasn’t giving me the fuck me now vibes but I knew if I saw this one through she’d be making me breakfast. Out of the corner of my eye I see a 7 doing the Sharon stone crossed/uncrossed leg thing towards me. At the end of the night I’m not going home alone but do I pick the 10 that will require some work to close but will get there or the lie down sale (pun intended) not wearing any pantys? I decide to turn my attention to the 7 as I’m pretty sure I can nail her in the bathroom. My justification for passing on the 10, she had on 3 inch stilettos and I prefer 4.

WTF?

Whatever our reason for lack of results are, we can always justify why it didn’t work out, how it wasn’t our fault and how this other option or prospect is much better! Feels like Human nature as confident people can’t always internally analyze things to make improvements because that would require admitting they made a mistake this harming an already fragile psyche. Not going to name names...
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Tequilla said:

There are always reasons ... but that doesn’t mean that some of those reasons aren’t controllable by UW

I think I get his (SAC) meaning, though it is a bit strong for me. If we offer some kid and he is just not down at all from the start, then I kind of get the "no whiff" thing. Some kids just don't want UW at all ever. Ok fine. It does beg the question of why we would extend an offer to a kid with zero interest, but whatever, it happens I guess?

The part I diverge from SAC is the coaches cooled part. There is no way, knowing how our coaching staff so thoroughly vets these kids before an offer (see Latu, Simon), that our staff cools on them for reasons related to personality. Maybe very occasionally if some major red flag comes up, but our staff is known for their due diligence. If our staff is cooling on them I think it is usually because they are giving up when they see the winds directly against them, or whatever.

TL;DR: Not all whiffs are created equally, but most whiffs are on the coaches not selling a kid properly, and occasionally due to kids just not being interested at all.
    I don’t know swaye, this feels like justification for poor results. I get the whole cooling thing but the fact that such a vetting process occurs to get the offer, I can’t comprehend why they would cool on any offered croot. (One offs and unforeseen circumstances aside).

As far as the logic I feel like I was hitting on a 10 at the bar. She wasn’t giving me the fuck me now vibes but I knew if I saw this one through she’d be making me breakfast. Out of the corner of my eye I see a 7 doing the Sharon stone crossed/uncrossed leg thing towards me. At the end of the night I’m not going home alone but do I pick the 10 that will require some work to close but will get there or the lie down sale (pun intended) not wearing any pantys? I decide to turn my attention to the 7 as I’m pretty sure I can nail her in the bathroom. My justification for passing on the 10, she had on 3 inch stilettos and I prefer 4.

WTF?

Whatever our reason for lack of results are, we can always justify why it didn’t work out, how it wasn’t our fault and how this other option or prospect is much better! Feels like Human nature as confident people can’t always internally analyze things to make improvements because that would require admitting they made a mistake this harming an already fragile psyche. Not going to name names...
    Don't get me wrong, I am totally a results guy. I have been beating the "we fucking suck" drum all spring. I'm just saying I can see SACs point, but in a much more limited fashion than he is implying it happens. I can see there being cases, maybe one or two a year where we offer some kid we think we have a shot with only to find out two weeks later he was basically blowing smoke and was never going to go here but just coveted the UW offer kind of thing. Limited set of circumstances. I bet SAC is right when he says that does happen. I just don;t think it happens often.

And I clearly stated that I think usually the issue is our staff not selling us properly.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

Tequilla said:

WTF?

What's your development like? Can you fuck the seven into a ten before the night is over? Does she understand how hard this will be?
    I gave up a number of years ago after my development skills developed multiple children.

I did once fuck an 8 into my gf then she realized she didn’t want to be with a guy with a child from another women so I went back to that 3 and kept pro-creating.

fMl
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Tequilla said:

WTF?

What's your development like? Can you fuck the seven into a ten before the night is over? Does she understand how hard this will be?
    I gave up a number of years ago after my development skills developed multiple children.

I did once fuck an 8 into my gf then she realized she didn’t want to be with a guy with a child from another women so I went back to that 3 and kept pro-creating.

fMl
    YBFE
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Tequilla said:

WTF?

fMl
    YBFE
    She was hot.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    vadawg said:

vadawg said:

UW doesn't offer unless they know there's mutual interest....I got that first hand from Pete's mouth concerning a recruit from Briar Woods out here (Virginia) 4 years ago.

SAC = AIDS

Here's a quote from an interview with the OL from TN:

"They haven't offered yet, but they did say they were interested and now that they know how interested I am, that was something they were sorta waiting for,"

Proves my point on who and when we offer.....SAC, you're an idiot.
    Who the fuck didn't know that? I already knew that you fucktard. There are differing levels of interest you idiot. A kid could say "oh yes sir, I'd be very interested in an offer from the University of Washington" because that's what most kids fucking do to be respectful or get more offers. Actions speak louder than words. If we offer two Texas DB's and one commits to Oklahoma soon after and the other never cares enough to visit UW, do you think either was really all that interested in coming here? Fuck no.

To count Ryan Watts and Xavion Alford as misses is fucking retarded. They are from Texas for fuck sake. They had their dream school or dream schools growing up and UW wasn't one of them. They were never coming here no matter what. We offer kids like that all the fucking time so don't give me this bullshit about Petersen only offering kids who are interested in coming to UW. Half of our fucking offer sheet are kids who aren't actually interested, will never visit UW, and are never fucking coming here in a million years.
  • Options

vadawg said:

vadawg said:

UW doesn't offer unless they know there's mutual interest....I got that first hand from Pete's mouth concerning a recruit from Briar Woods out here (Virginia) 4 years ago.

SAC = AIDS

"They haven't offered yet, but they did say they were interested and now that they know how interested I am, that was something they were sorta waiting for,"

Who the fuck didn't know that? I already knew that you fucktard. There are differing levels of interest you idiot. A kid could say "oh yes sir, I'd be very interested in an offer from the University of Washington" because that's what most kids fucking do to be respectful or get more offers. Actions speak louder than words. If we offer two Texas DB's and one commits to Oklahoma soon after and the other never cares enough to visit UW, do you think either was really all that interested in coming here? Fuck no.

To count Ryan Watts and Xavion Alford as misses is fucking retarded. They are from Texas for fuck sake. They had their dream school or dream schools growing up and UW wasn't one of them. They were never coming here no matter what. We offer kids like that all the fucking time so don't give me this bullshit about Petersen only offering kids who are interested in coming to UW. Half of our fucking offer sheet are kids who aren't actually interested, will never visit UW, and are never fucking coming here in a million years.
    So what I’m hearing is that we really need to be more selective... chinteresting.
    No we don't. The point is, not everybody that UW offers and doesn't get is a miss. Each recruitment is different and has it's own context. You have to follow recruiting closely to know who UW actually wants and who actually reciprocates that interest. When those two things are combined, it leads to an actual recruiting battle with other schools. When UW loses those actual recruiting battles, then that's a miss. But you can't lose if you're never even in the race.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

vadawg said:

vadawg said:

SAC = AIDS

"They're from Texas, so we can't count them as losses, even though the staff is making a very concerted effort to recruit Texas harder."

You take moving the goalposts to astronomical new heights.
    It's not moving the goal posts you idiot. This is the way it's always been, even with UW being selective with who they offer. Some guys they offer are never coming here and their recruitment by UW never develops into real recruiting battles. Obviously you don't follow recruiting closely enough to know that. Maybe if you did you wouldn't view every recruit that UW offers and doesn't get as a miss. Some schools offer 200+ kids. When they don't get 180 of them, are those all misses? Obviously not you retard. It's the same thing with UW, just on a smaller scale.