Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Lathan Ransom, 2020 4* DB, Tucson (Salpointe Catholic), AZ (Offered 5/14/18)

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

NEsnake12 said:

Can’t wait for some of the 2021 in state kids to say this about UW
    You need to click around a little before posting. Someone on the bored watched Julien Simon's film and we all think he sucks now.
    That’s about 19% accurate if you are referencing me
  • Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    UW’s macchiato cup runneth over.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,901
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Elite-safety-Lathan-Ransom-talks-finalists-Notre-Dame-Ohio-State-LSU-Oklahoma-Texas-132586009/

Oklahoma — “Oklahoma is winning every year. Every year they are in the playoffs or the Big 12 title winner. They have a great defensive coordinator in coach Grinch. I’m excited to see what they do this year. The defense could be as good as the offense and if that happens, they will contend for a title every single year. I really like coach Riley a lot. He’s great. The fans were crazy when I was up there and I know they have a strong alumni.”

Are you kidding me lol?

it's called fucking sales and we suck at it!!!! We literally have the best defense on the west coast, but he's more convinced that Oklahoma will be better in 1-2 years. That is called Oklahoma's recruiters are better than ours for selling Lathan.
    You think Jimmy didn't sell him UW's defensive success and NFL development? He just wasn't interested. UW ain't for everybody. Just because he's in Pac-12 recruiting territory doesn't mean he considers himself a West coast kid. Oklahoma and Texas are closer to Arizona than UW is. Some kids just aren't fucking interested no matter how good at sales you are and Jimmy Lake is pretty damn good. Can't get them all.
    Great points BUT IT DIDNT WORK AND to not make his top 5 IS UNACCEPTABLE.
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Elite-safety-Lathan-Ransom-talks-finalists-Notre-Dame-Ohio-State-LSU-Oklahoma-Texas-132586009/

Oklahoma — “Oklahoma is winning every year. Every year they are in the playoffs or the Big 12 title winner. They have a great defensive coordinator in coach Grinch. I’m excited to see what they do this year. The defense could be as good as the offense and if that happens, they will contend for a title every single year. I really like coach Riley a lot. He’s great. The fans were crazy when I was up there and I know they have a strong alumni.”

Are you kidding me lol?

it's called fucking sales and we suck at it!!!! We literally have the best defense on the west coast, but he's more convinced that Oklahoma will be better in 1-2 years. That is called Oklahoma's recruiters are better than ours for selling Lathan.
    You think Jimmy didn't sell him UW's defensive success and NFL development? He just wasn't interested. UW ain't for everybody. Just because he's in Pac-12 recruiting territory doesn't mean he considers himself a West coast kid. Oklahoma and Texas are closer to Arizona than UW is. Some kids just aren't fucking interested no matter how good at sales you are and Jimmy Lake is pretty damn good. Can't get them all.
    Not well enough, apparently.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited June 2019

Are you kidding me lol?

Unacceptable? High expectations are good. But you're being unrealistic. Nobody gets whoever they want. Not even Bama and Clemson. This kid can go anywhere he wants and wasn't interested in UW from the very beginning. He's obviously not interested in playing in the Pac-12. UW is not gonna waste their time on a kid that's not coming here no matter what when they can easily get a guy just as talented in Covington who values his UW offer. No matter what kind of success UW has, there will always be a few elite recruits every cycle who are just flat out not interested and it's the same thing for every other program in the country. This is one of those cases.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Are you kidding me lol?

Unacceptable? High expectations are good. But you're being unrealistic. Nobody gets whoever they want. Not even Bama and Clemson. This kid can go anywhere he wants and wasn't interested in UW from the very beginning. He's obviously not interested in playing in the Pac-12. UW is not gonna waste their time on a kid that's not coming here no matter what when they can easily get a guy just as talented in Covington who values his UW offer. No matter what kind of success UW has, there will always be a few elite recruits every cycle who are just flat out not interested and it's the same thing for every other program in the country. This is one of those cases.
    I don't see anyone lamenting the loss of JUST this kid. But in the aggregate we're whiffing on a lot of top DB prospects. Which is very bizarre given who we have recruiting that position and his track record. Jimmy set the new standard with the 2018 class, but we're having trouble getting back to that level of success.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Are you kidding me lol?

I don't see anyone lamenting the loss of JUST this kid. But in the aggregate we're whiffing on a lot of top DB prospects. Which is very bizarre given who we have recruiting that position and his track record. Jimmy set the new standard with the 2018 class, but we're having trouble getting back to that level of success.
    It's not a lot. It's literally just this kid and Ringo who has obviously been steered in a different direction by his mom.

Let's not act like Oklahoma isn't all over Covington and just brought him in for an OV a couple weeks ago. Then UW offered and Covington is like Oklahoma who? It goes both ways.

The entire Pac-12 wants Trey Paster. He moves like Dom Hampton at a similar size. His Senior year film will probably be amazing. UW will get him with ease.

DB recruiting is looking elite as usual. I think this DB class will be as good as the 2018 DB class of Hampton, Gordon, and Irvin.

It's OLB recruiting that looks like shit right now. We should be getting Savell Smalls and Jaden Navarette without much trouble.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Yes, there are position coaches and those relationships help to close the deal

But the initial part of recruiting is more on an area basis
  • Options

I've seen a lot of people say that if Lake were the head coach, for whatever reason, we would put a bigger emphasis on recruiting. And I don't really think thats true, Lake is just as big on the built for life/OKG pitch as Pete, he's just better at recruiting than other coaches.

If you look at the guys Jimmy recruits, it's rarely the elite top 100 kids. We rarely even get a hat on the table for the Elias Ricks-ITS level guys. I don't think Jimmy is super interested in changing his pitch to try and get those guys. And I kind of don't blame him, especially when he knows he can still get super talented low 4 star kids that are 100% bought in.

It would be nice to get some Kelee Ringos, but I understand why Jimmy isn't interested in lying to them about playing time or whatever. Am I agreeing with ballz? I'm not sure, maybe.

If I have a complaint its that we have 2 DB coaches and it seems like we could use the help recruiting other positions. Because it feels like Jimmy could get these classes in his sleep and Will Harris is just insurance in case he leaves.

I completely agree with this. Harris was a worthless hire. We needed a new OLB coach who's a great recruiter. Preferably a black one. I really don't give a fuck if Kwat has a specific position group to coach. He can just be Co-DC and help Jimmy with the game plans for all I care. Or he can have Gregory's job and Gregory can be door ass out. The Harris hire has done nothing for us. If Jimmy were to leave, I would think UW could hire Gerald Alexander with ease so Harris as insurance is fucking stupid. OLB recruiting needs to be better on a consistent basis and it's not. The kids do not relate to Kwat and are not excited to be recruited or coached by him. His name is never brought up by any recruit ever.
    Will Harris was not a useless hire. Not utilizing him in LA is making him worthless.

I’ve said what neighbor has been saying for quite some time. For that reason Jimmy Lake should not be looked at as a recruiting savant but rather the staff standard IF UDUB is going to reach its ceiling. I don’t think we ever land an Elias Ricks unless Gerald Alexander is hired or Harris is utilized properly.

I’d worry more about the sabotage job done by Cuog-Asss Bob Greggy before Coach K but again, everyone in staff should be recruiting as well as Jimmy Lake. If that sounds too unrealistic, look around at Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma. I’m not saying every coach has to pull Ikaika’s class last year, but Ikaika wasn’t even in the top 10 in recruited rankings last year (I know it’s bullshit but you get the point)
    We have DB's on the roster right now just as talented, if not more talented than Elias Ricks. Who gives a fuck if they weren't rated 5-stars in high school? Anybody want to argue Keith Taylor, Dom Hampton, Julius Irvin, Kyler Gordon, and Asa Turner don't have the talent to become 1st round picks? They are just as talented as Ricks and came to UW to work with likely less entitlement than Ricks would. I think the coaches prefer elite NFL talent minus the diva attitudes or parents with their hands out. Jimmy Lake IS a recruiting savant. Fuck you talking about? He's the best in the business.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

I've seen a lot of people say that if Lake were the head coach, for whatever reason, we would put a bigger emphasis on recruiting. And I don't really think thats true, Lake is just as big on the built for life/OKG pitch as Pete, he's just better at recruiting than other coaches.

If you look at the guys Jimmy recruits, it's rarely the elite top 100 kids. We rarely even get a hat on the table for the Elias Ricks-ITS level guys. I don't think Jimmy is super interested in changing his pitch to try and get those guys. And I kind of don't blame him, especially when he knows he can still get super talented low 4 star kids that are 100% bought in.

It would be nice to get some Kelee Ringos, but I understand why Jimmy isn't interested in lying to them about playing time or whatever. Am I agreeing with ballz? I'm not sure, maybe.

If I have a complaint its that we have 2 DB coaches and it seems like we could use the help recruiting other positions. Because it feels like Jimmy could get these classes in his sleep and Will Harris is just insurance in case he leaves.

I completely agree with this. Harris was a worthless hire. We needed a new OLB coach who's a great recruiter. Preferably a black one. I really don't give a fuck if Kwat has a specific position group to coach. He can just be Co-DC and help Jimmy with the game plans for all I care. Or he can have Gregory's job and Gregory can be door ass out. The Harris hire has done nothing for us. If Jimmy were to leave, I would think UW could hire Gerald Alexander with ease so Harris as insurance is fucking stupid. OLB recruiting needs to be better on a consistent basis and it's not. The kids do not relate to Kwat and are not excited to be recruited or coached by him. His name is never brought up by any recruit ever.
    Will Harris was not a useless hire. Not utilizing him in LA is making him worthless.

I’ve said what neighbor has been saying for quite some time. For that reason Jimmy Lake should not be looked at as a recruiting savant but rather the staff standard IF UDUB is going to reach its ceiling. I don’t think we ever land an Elias Ricks unless Gerald Alexander is hired or Harris is utilized properly.

I’d worry more about the sabotage job done by Cuog-Asss Bob Greggy before Coach K but again, everyone in staff should be recruiting as well as Jimmy Lake. If that sounds too unrealistic, look around at Clemson, Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma. I’m not saying every coach has to pull Ikaika’s class last year, but Ikaika wasn’t even in the top 10 in recruited rankings last year (I know it’s bullshit but you get the point)
    We have DB's on the roster right now just as talented, if not more talented than Elias Ricks. Who gives a fuck if they weren't rated 5-stars in high school? Anybody want to argue Keith Taylor, Dom Hampton, Julius Irvin, Kyler Gordon, and Asa Turner don't have the talent to become 1st round picks? They are just as talented as Ricks and came to UW to work with likely less entitlement than Ricks would. I think the coaches prefer elite NFL talent minus the diva attitudes or parents with their hands out. Jimmy Lake IS a recruiting savant. Fuck you talking about? He's the best in the business.
    1. “The coaches prefer elite NFL talent minus the Diva attitudes” no fucking shit. Wow great take.

2. No one is saying Jimmy Lake is an insufficient recruiter. Of all people who have earned some slack in talent evaluation, Jimmy Lake is the fucking guy, no one is disputing that. The point is this narrative of Jimmy being Tosh Lupoi is created by the rest of the staff being recruiting retards.

3. “Anyone wanna argue that Keith Taylor...... don’t have the talent to become 1st round picks”
    ¿lolwut?

Pola-Mao AND McKinney filling in for an injured Rapp > solely depending on McKinney

Darnay Holmes + Keith Taylor > Keith Taylor

Elias Ricks + Ayden Hector > Ayden Hector
    BUT ALSO AND JUST IMPORTANTLY
    Elias Ricks + Ayden Hector > Elias Ricks

4. Stop saying “5 stars” I don’t fucking look at stars. I look at film and when we offered. When you have a coach who brags about hoarding offers, it’s not hard to find out who they think is the best players are.

1. Who the fuck here would trade Elijah Molden for Darnay Holmes? Literally nobody.

2. Safety recruiting was deficient for a couple classes. I'll give you that. But, it's being addressed in a big way.

3. Do not fucking get me started on the early offer shit again. Just because some guys get an early offer from UW, does not automatically mean the coaches think they are more talented than guys who get later offers. Some guys are just as talented, if not more talented, but are later bloomers physically (Joe Tryon). Some guys have grades and shit they need to get in order and that causes them to get a later offer (Will Latu). And sometimes the coaches just flat out misjudge a recruit's talent and potential, offer him super early, and then realize this other guy over here is actually more talented and go after him instead (Cam Williams > Jeremiah Criddell).
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Are you kidding me lol?

It's not a lot. It's literally just this kid and Ringo who has obviously been steered in a different direction by his mom.

Let's not act like Oklahoma isn't all over Covington and just brought him in for an OV a couple weeks ago. Then UW offered and Covington is like Oklahoma who? It goes both ways.

The entire Pac-12 wants Trey Paster. He moves like Dom Hampton at a similar size. His Senior year film will probably be amazing. UW will get him with ease.

DB recruiting is looking elite as usual. I think this DB class will be as good as the 2018 DB class of Hampton, Gordon, and Irvin.

It's OLB recruiting that looks like shit right now. We should be getting Savell Smalls and Jaden Navarette without much trouble.
    It's not a lot?

Ringo, Ricks, Ransom, Watts, and Phillips have already eliminated us. You can probably also add Alford to the list too. That's a lot of misses. Now the DB class out west is pretty loaded so it's not a bad year for consolation prizes, but you don't just get to make up reality and pretend we haven't whiffed on our top targets.
    You don't get to count kids that A. were never interested from the moment they were offered and B. UW cooled on.

You're avoiding the context to fit your narrative that UW has whiffed on all these DB recruits when they haven't.

If they were to offer 20+ DB prospects around the nation, but can only take 3-4 of them, does that mean they whiffed on all the others? Obviously not.

Watts and Alford were not interested at all. Those aren't whiffs. If UW offers some Florida DB and he pays the offer no mind, is that a whiff by UW? No. A whiff is when UW wants a kid and the kid reciprocates that interest but then either loses interest in UW or chooses another school over UW.

Phillips was offered and was interested in UW but he was cooled on by the coaches for other prospects that are taller and longer than he is. Happens every cycle. People should be used to it by now and recognize it when it happens.

Ricks was offered and was interested enough to take a visit to UW early on but after getting to know him, he wasn't our kinda guy. He's looking for early playing time and the status of a bigger brand school. He cares about status and swag and LSU gives him that with NFL development as well. Happens every year. A top recruit gets offered, the coaches get to know him more, and then realize it's not a fit for either party and so both parties move on.

Ringo was highly interested until his mom really got involved and steered him away from UW. I don't consider that a whiff because that is out of Jimmy Lake's control.

Ransom is really the only legit DB whiff so far in this class.

Context matters. You are not stupid enough to ignore it. You ignored it on purpose to fit your narrative. Some people just want to be negative no matter what. I'm negative when it's rational for me to be negative. But right now DB recruiting is looking very good and we have some big commitments coming down the pipe so I'm feeling mostly good about our recruiting right now.
  • Options
    vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 466
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Please die of the A

Are you kidding me lol?

It's not a lot?

Ringo, Ricks, Ransom, Watts, and Phillips have already eliminated us. You can probably also add Alford to the list too. That's a lot of misses. Now the DB class out west is pretty loaded so it's not a bad year for consolation prizes, but you don't just get to make up reality and pretend we haven't whiffed on our top targets.
    You don't get to count kids that A. were never interested from the moment they were offered and B. UW cooled on.

You're avoiding the context to fit your narrative that UW has whiffed on all these DB recruits when they haven't.

If they were to offer 20+ DB prospects around the nation, but can only take 3-4 of them, does that mean they whiffed on all the others? Obviously not.

Watts and Alford were not interested at all. Those aren't whiffs. If UW offers some Florida DB and he pays the offer no mind, is that a whiff by UW? No. A whiff is when UW wants a kid and the kid reciprocates that interest but then either loses interest in UW or chooses another school over UW.

Phillips was offered and was interested in UW but he was cooled on by the coaches for other prospects that are taller and longer than he is. Happens every cycle. People should be used to it by now and recognize it when it happens.

Ricks was offered and was interested enough to take a visit to UW early on but after getting to know him, he wasn't our kinda guy. He's looking for early playing time and the status of a bigger brand school. He cares about status and swag and LSU gives him that with NFL development as well. Happens every year. A top recruit gets offered, the coaches get to know him more, and then realize it's not a fit for either party and so both parties move on.

Ringo was highly interested until his mom really got involved and steered him away from UW. I don't consider that a whiff because that is out of Jimmy Lake's control.

Context matters. You are not stupid enough to ignore it. You ignored it on purpose to fit your narrative. Some people just want to be negative no matter what. I'm negative when it's rational for me to be negative. But right now DB recruiting is looking very good and we have some big commitments coming down the pipe so I'm feeling mostly good about our recruiting right now.
    Please die of the AIDS you constantly spread.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Are you kidding me lol?

It's not a lot?

So kids that we offered but were never that interested in us don't count as misses? Police departments everywhere must envy your ability to massage stats.