Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DDY Fast Strategy White Head Coach Hall of Fame

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,257
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Meyer has done it at two schools (UF and OSU), notwithstanding his undefeated run in year 2 at Utah. I wonder where in the pantheon of white FS coaches he'd rank if he got another tier 1 school a national championship. He famously called ND his dream job, if he went there and resurrected them into a 'ship would he rank in the top 3 all-time? How many coaches have won titles at three separate power five schools? None?

Yes. Meyer is a money coach. I cannot recall a single coach other than Meyer and Saban who has done it at even two. The vast majority of even really good coaches either fail at their next gig, or they make a respectable showing but never quite reach the heights of their previous gig. Think Spurrier and Holtz, each at South Carolina. Butch Davis at North Carolina. Saban and Meyer are far and away the exception to the rule.

If Meyer ever made himself available again, he could break the bank. The guy just wins wherever he goes. I hope and pray he never coaches at Notre Dame. If he does, it will mean that he negotiated the serious academis requirement to his suiting. You can't make everyone take calculus and have a good football team. Even Stanford doesn't do that.
    I don't think anyone on this bored wants to see Meyer at Catholic U.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Gladstone said:

So here's a question @RaceBannon , the Mount Rushmore of Progroms as per DFI is Alabama, Ohio State, USC and Notre Dame, correct?. When does Notre Dame get removed? In era this where it's pretty damn near impossible to win a natty without enough Fast Strategy players is Notre Dame pretty much dead? I know they've had guys like the Bus who were Fast Strategy in days of yore and I'll admit I don't pay attention to their recruiting other than to say they aren't winning.

Notre Dame is fucked because they have a bumbling mid-west aww shucks guy in charge.
    Brian Kelly is a shit coach and many other things, but I've never seen him described as a bumbling 'aww shucks' guy. In fact I think that's the polar opposite of what he is.

No. He is the opposite of bumbling. I thought he was going to bust a valve at Cincy. Dood is fucking intense.

I've actually been somewhat surprised that he his stint at ND hasn't gone a little better than it has. I suppose they had the 2013 BCS, and there's no shame in losing to Bamers, but still. ND has a lot of built-in advantages for the right coach to exploit.

Gladstone said:

Meyer has done it at two schools (UF and OSU), notwithstanding his undefeated run in year 2 at Utah. I wonder where in the pantheon of white FS coaches he'd rank if he got another tier 1 school a national championship. He famously called ND his dream job, if he went there and resurrected them into a 'ship would he rank in the top 3 all-time? How many coaches have won titles at three separate power five schools? None?

Yes. Meyer is a money coach. I cannot recall a single coach other than Meyer and Saban who has done it at even two. The vast majority of even really good coaches either fail at their next gig, or they make a respectable showing but never quite reach the heights of their previous gig. Think Spurrier and Holtz, each at South Carolina. Butch Davis at North Carolina. Saban and Meyer are far and away the exception to the rule.

If Meyer ever made himself available again, he could break the bank. The guy just wins wherever he goes. I hope and pray he never coaches at Notre Dame. If he does, it will mean that he negotiated the serious academis requirement to his suiting. You can't make everyone take calculus and have a good football team. Even Stanford doesn't do that.
    Excellent points. Lou Holtz got ND to agree to the Prop 48 which directly lead to players like Zorich and Tony Rice (indirectly leading to the MNC). Players who never in a million years would have qualified for ND football scholarship admissions. ND famously dropped their support for Prop 48 and forced Lou out in the 90s (Lou himself says BC '93 broke his heart so much that it took him years to recover).

Like any other tier 1 school, ND is always a coach away. There were tons of narratives in the mid 2000s that population shifts in the midwest had made Big Ten prestige untenable. Enter Urban at OSU. Oops. I also am surprised Kelly hasn't had much success:

8-5
    8-5
    12-1
    9-4
    8-5
    10-3
    4-8
    10-3

3 ten win seasons in 8 years. 5-3 against SC. 2-1 against scUM. You can argue at least one of the 10-3 seasons as disappointing considering they started hot, flew into the top 5, and then got blown out late in the year.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Gladstone said:

If He did that......

Da GOAT and I don't care if Saban wins 9 more.

It's HAF to win nattys at 2 diff schools like those 2 have.

But to do it at 3 different schools????
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer both got it.

In America - not to get too weird - there is a "seemingly" massive distinction between being poor white trash and a "ghetto" black kid.

The truth is, fast strategy people have a lot of the same priorities and ideas - even though in the US we don't share the same culture across 'race' lines.

However, the smart coaches that saw beyond that shit were like, 'wait, I completely relate to these kids'. If you watch Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer at their height it was the same thing.

They instinctively knew the shit that would hit home, once they translated it from one cultural context to another.

That's the reason Dabo hits. Because he has that instinct. He knows. He's a FS fucker and he gets the core aspects to those kids.

Tom Osborne, Pete, DJ, etc - they have a hard time, so it's easy for them to get a bunch of criminals, because to them, all FS kids seem the same. 'I don't know, I guess they all are drug dealing gun-runners. Fine, I want to win. Beating women is a cultural difference, I guess!'

But, Coaches like Johnson really got it. 'We are the underdogs that NOGAF about. No one did our homework for us or petitioned our fucking teachers when we got an 88.5 so we could stretch that to an A' - that's all white people shit.

They get that.

If Pete could grasp that, we would be the best program in the history of the Pac-12.

The only other choice is to be so fucking competitive you don't GAF (Saban) about anything other than winning, or just a good coach at USC which is the easiest job in the history of college football (Carroll).

You were nails and POTW material before you went all fucking doog with the next to last paragraph in your sentence.

You guys could certainly win a Natty at some time. But you don't have the infrastructure nor the sizzle to make a 2000's SC run. Not without Pilfering the likes of a Meyer or Saban anyway.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

Gladstone said:

If He did that......

Da GOAT and I don't care if Saban wins 9 more.

It's HAF to win nattys at 2 diff schools like those . have.

But to do it at 3 different schools????

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,387
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Southern poor whites and blacks are both country like Jimmy and Barry were. It works
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

salemcoog said:

Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer both got it.

In America - not to get too weird - there is a "seemingly" massive distinction between being poor white trash and a "ghetto" black kid.

The truth is, fast strategy people have a lot of the same priorities and ideas - even though in the US we don't share the same culture across 'race' lines.

However, the smart coaches that saw beyond that shit were like, 'wait, I completely relate to these kids'. If you watch Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer at their height it was the same thing.

They instinctively knew the shit that would hit home, once they translated it from one cultural context to another.

That's the reason Dabo hits. Because he has that instinct. He knows. He's a FS fucker and he gets the core aspects to those kids.

Tom Osborne, Pete, DJ, etc - they have a hard time, so it's easy for them to get a bunch of criminals, because to them, all FS kids seem the same. 'I don't know, I guess they all are drug dealing gun-runners. Fine, I want to win. Beating women is a cultural difference, I guess!'

But, Coaches like Johnson really got it. 'We are the underdogs that NOGAF about. No one did our homework for us or petitioned our fucking teachers when we got an 88.5 so we could stretch that to an A' - that's all white people shit.

They get that.

If Pete could grasp that, we would be the best program in the history of the Pac-12.

The only other choice is to be so fucking competitive you don't GAF (Saban) about anything other than winning, or just a good coach at USC which is the easiest job in the history of college football (Carroll).

You were nails and POTW material before you went all fucking doog with the next to last paragraph in your sentence.

You guys could certainly win a Natty at some time. But you don't have the infrastructure nor the sizzle to make a 2000's SC run. Not without Pilfering the likes of a Meyer or Saban anyway.
    I disagree. I'm not even being a Doog. If we continue on this recruiting trajectory upward and it snowballs like Clemson's has, we will be really hard to beat.

Pete is a master at making teams difficult to beat. And that's with b-rate talent. If somehow we get talent throughout our whole roster we are going to be a bitch to deal with.

But, I'm not sure Pete has it in him.
    fuck, so how much is his buyout?
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,900
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

So, doing the math for you losers:

CA - 15.5 players per Tier I&II programs
    TX - 7 players
    FL - 3.8 players
    GA - 2.4 players
    OH - 1.5 players

I bolded it so you idiots could get the point.

I don't get it.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

So, doing the math for you losers:

CA - 15.5 players per Tier I&II programs
    TX - 7 players
    FL - 3.8 players
    GA - 2.4 players
    OH - 1.5 players

I bolded it so you idiots could get the point.

I don't get it.
    I wasn't holding out hope you would.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    @dnc

Polys are great, but not a ton of skill position players.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    AZDuck said:

@dnc

Polys are great, but not a ton of skill position players.

Yep. That’s where west coast teams have to supplement with the smaller pool of blacks, mixed kids (bigger than other parts of the country) and whites (hi Pete!).
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So the median household income for Yuba City, CA, is like $32K. You'd think Pete would be a bit more PWT Fast Strategy.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
    Swaye's Wigwam

I took people's homes in Yuba City

Didn't want to but felt I owed it to them

Beautiful country