Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NBA Playoff Megathread

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,806
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    JR Smith is so fucking stupid.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2018

Yea MJ would have had Charles Oakley punch JR smith in the face a long time ago

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Lebron’s the goat. That JR Smith play just sealed it for me. I’m out on MJ and in on Lebron. JR Smith DOESNT KNOW THE SCORE OF THE GAME and they’re going to overtime. Goat. Period.

I lol'd.

Bron's right there with MJ as the GOAT for me. His performance last night and this entire playoffs has been unreal.

But LeBron pushed for Cleveland to resign JR Smith. That has to factor in here somewhere.

Bron's surrounded by retards but they're his retards.
    I’ve never factored Lebron’s GM skills into it. He takes some of the blame for the roster being this bad, definitely. But for me that’s off the court. I don’t factor Jordan changing advertising or him being a terrible owner into his case.

If I thought Lebron was intentionally sabotaging the roster, I’d be willing to have that conversation. I don’t see any evidence of that though.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

Lebron’s the goat. That JR Smith play just sealed it for me. I’m out on MJ and in on Lebron. JR Smith DOESNT KNOW THE SCORE OF THE GAME and they’re going to overtime. Goat. Period.

I lol'd.

Bron's right there with MJ as the GOAT for me. His performance last night and this entire playoffs has been unreal.

But LeBron pushed for Cleveland to resign JR Smith. That has to factor in here somewhere.

I’ve never factored Lebron’s GM skills into it. He takes some of the blame for the roster being this bad, definitely. But for me that’s off the court. I don’t factor Jordan changing advertising or him being a terrible owner into his case.

If I thought Lebron was intentionally sabotaging the roster, I’d be willing to have that conversation. I don’t see any evidence of that though.
    Jordan is a shitty GM too.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Being a shitty GM has no bearing on his greatness.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2018

dnc said:

I lol'd.

No question about it.

All I'm saying is if we're giving LeBron a pass because his teammates such then why his teammates suck has to factor in.

I fucking hate Jordan so I have no real passion for this debate either way.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,429
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I lol'd.

No question about it.

All I'm saying is if we're giving LeBron a pass because his teammates why his teammates suck has to factor in.

Who is your guy? Favorite player all time regardless of GOAT arguments?
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

I lol'd.

No question about it.

All I'm saying is if we're giving LeBron a pass because his teammates why his teammates suck has to factor in.

My favorite player is @TheGlove because I'm a hopeless homer. My favorite all time great is Kobe but I know he's not in MJ or LeBron's class. I loved everything about his game though.

I probably would have loved Bill Russell had I been around to watch him play. I love defense first guys.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,429
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My first love was Spencer Haywood.
  • Options
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,521
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

I lol'd.

No question about it.

My favorite player is @TheGlove because I'm a hopeless homer. My favorite all time great is Kobe but I know he's not in MJ or LeBron's class. I loved everything about his game though.

I probably would have loved Bill Russell had I been around to watch him play. I love defense first guys.
    Speaking of Kobe he gets shit all the time in these arguments for not being easy enough to get along with and creating team dysfunction. How is it different for someone who is actually doing roster building?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

I lol'd.

No question about it.

Speaking of Kobe he gets shit all the time in these arguments for not being easy enough to get along with and creating team dysfunction. How is it different for someone who is actually doing roster building?
    I hated Kobe,but He was an absolute stone cold killer, and He was on All NBA D like Jordan was almost perennially in his prime.

Many similarities to their game.

Until this playoff run, I still had him above Bron. Not anymore though.

Watching him stalk Curry for the block late in the game, that caused one of the fusses, was special for me. Just the frosting on the cake I suppose.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I blacked out and blocked 9 people on twitter for slandering LBJ. I'm gay. Sorry everyone.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,818
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Grandpa Race had a really interesting post about the GOATs that really spell out how the eras of the game really have an influence of what dominance in that time period looks like. It's also a good example of how given how the game has evolved over time that comparing across eras can be problematic.

Ultimately, how you rank players is really dependent upon what you value the most. At this point I think any top 5 that doesn't include some combination of MJ, Russell, Kareem, Magic, and LBJ is probably missing the mark a bit but I'm always open to good arguments.

There's been a lot made about Russell over time and how he performed versus Wilt. But that's not the most impressive thing to me about Russell ... it's what he did in games for championships and particularly Game 7's (and remember that Russell's career per game averages were 15.1 points, 22.5 rebounds, and 4.3 assists).

1957: Game 7 vs St Louis Hawks ... Boston wins 125-123 in 2OT ... Russell's stat line = 19 points (7 of 17 shooting) and 32 rebounds while playing 54 of the 58 minutes ... important to keep in mind that shooting for the game was a collective3 37%.

1958: Russell injured with a severe ankle sprain in the Finals and the Celtics lost

1959: Celtics sweep Lakers ... Russell with 15 and 30 in the deciding game

1960: Celtics beat St Louis in 7 ... Russell with 22 and 35

1961: Celtics beat St Louis in 5 ... Russell with 30 and 38 in the clinching game

1962: Celtics beat the Lakers in 7 with the deciding game in OT ... Russell plays every minute and finishes with 30 points and 40 rebounds

1963: Celtics beat the Lakers again in 6 ... played every minute and finished with 12 points, 24 rebounds, and 9 assists ... Celtics win by 3

1964: Celtics beat the Warriors in 5 … Russell with a tidy 14 point, 26 rebound, 6 assist line while more importantly "holding" Wilt to 30 points on 12 of 28 shooting (note that Wilt averaged 36.9 points per game on the season and in the series only 29.2 points per game)

1965: Celtics beat the Lakers in 5 … in a blowout, Russell finishes with 22 points (on 6 of 9 shooting and 10 of 11 from the line), 30 rebounds, and 4 assists. Ho hum. More impressively was Game 7 in the East again against Wilt where in a 1 point win, Russell played every minute and finished with a 15-29-8 stat line.

1966: Celtics beat the Lakers in 7 … they win Game 7 by 2 with Russell playing every minute, scores 25 and adds 32 boards.

1967: Celtics destroyed in 5 by one of the great teams of all time in a 68 win 76ers team … Russell's really only non-descript game in his career in a clinching or elimination game (without injury impacting him)

1968: Celtics beat the Lakers in 6 … Russell with a 12-19-6 stat line on 5 of 7 shooting.

1969: Celtics beat the Lakers in 7 … in his last professional game, Russell plays every minute, and finishes with 6 points, 21 boards, and 6 assists (a team high).

When it mattered, Russell almost ALWAYS elevated his game ... that's what being a great means.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Often overlooked

With no father....no education....no training....and very few role models.....they handed this young dirt poor kid $420,000 per week, at the age of 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Married his high school sweetheart. Never arrested. Never used drugs. Never humiliated his spouse with side chic stories. No outside babies.

Never in the news with so much as a parking ticket. Excellent father. Heavily involved with his kid's activities. Greatest player on the PLANET.

14 years later. Same dude. Same maturity. Same chic. Same family. Reputation intact. Now earning close to $2 million per week.

If you don’t REPOST this man you are the problem
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,806
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Caps year bitches!
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,480
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think one of the most over looked things in comparing eras is the fact 70% of the guys Jordan played with/against wouldn't even make today's NBA.

And as time goes it only gets worse. I've watched some 80s final games the old timers rave about, and a lot of that shit looks IMA Tequila fucking stupid on the court.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,281
    Doogles said:

I think one of the most over looked things in comparing eras is the fact 70% of the guys Jordan played with/against wouldn't even make today's NBA.

And as time goes it only gets worse. I've watched some 80s final games the old timers rave about, and a lot of that shit looks IMA Tequila fucking stupid on the court.

Nega. Please.