Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NBA Playoff Megathread

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    can this page not be about lebron's legacy?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2018
    Gladstone said:

Lot of short memory millennial slobber in this thread.

Lebron ditched Cleveland because he couldn't win same as Durant ditching OKC. I don't really care about either of those moves bc modern NBA free agency is what it is but if you are going to hate on the one move and not the other then you're either just a Lebron poofer or a Durant salad tosser.

Lebron is probably the greatest athlete to ever play basketball. Jordan is the GOAT basketball player until further notice.

is this a troll? @dnc you upvoted this? edit: chinned? whoosh?

2007-2008 miami had the worst record in the NBA at 15-67, wade missing the final 21 games
    2008-2009 miami finished 43-39, a 7 seed that got blasted in round 1 by the hawks
    2009-2010 miami finished 45-37, a 6 seed, lost 1-4 to Boston in the 1st round

We are comparing this to the '16 GSW team that went 73-9 and was a Green ballpunch away from winning a title? The team that blew a 3-1 lead with home court in the finals?

How about the '15 GSW team that won the title.

Is everyone taking stupid pills?
    What KD did is unprecedented. But what LBJ did before that was unprecedented. I don’t blame him at all, (I don’t blame KD either), but I do think LBJs move ushered in the super team era and paved the way for KD. KD obviously took it to a further extreme than Bron did. But LeBrob leaving his team to join another MVPs team (and recruiting a third big star to join them) hadn’t been done like that before.

It’s not at all the same as Allen being dealt to the Celtics. KG, maybe kinda sorta but KG was nowhere near the megastar LeBrob was. Was KG even still in his prime? We’re Barkley and Drexker? Seems like it’s usually past their prime guys who make these moves. LBJ and KD are a different level.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fuck me, were people just not around for "The Decision" and how drastically it altered free agency? You guys act like I'm talking crazy but this is a pretty common idea. It took me all of a second of googling "How the decision changed basketball" to bring up 20+ articles.

[Before The Decision, many of the dynasties in the NBA were the result of excellent drafting. With the exception of the Shaq and Kobe Lakers, the other dynasties were largely done without their core players being picked up in free agency. Teams like the Larry Bird Celtics and the Showtime Lakers weren’t formed because the best players decided to play in Boston or Los Angeles during free agency. They were formed through the draft.

That all changed when LeBron decided to join the Heat. Never before had the best player in the middle of his prime decide to leave the franchise he was drafted by to join a team comprised of two other superstars in their prime.

Now this seems common place.]

From a Lebron fan site no less

If you want to disagree with that opinion then fucking cool but to act like it's some insane Pumpy take is FS.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2018
    Yeah I was never a fan of the decision and my stance after '16 has always been that LBJ is #2 but an argument could be made for #1 (that doesn't sound completely insane). I've said my piece and will try not to get triggered and post about LBJ's legacy again as this feels kind of circular at this point. I love you all. Bye.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Gladstone said:

Yeah I was never a fan of the decision and my stance after '16 has always been that LBJ is #2 but an argument could be made for #1 (that doesn't sound completely insane). I've said my piece and will try not to get triggered and post about LBJ's legacy again as this feels kind of circular at this point. I love you all. Bye.

I’m completely on bored with everything you said
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    Gladstone said:

Bottom line - Lebron is the poster boy for Generation AAU; MJ is a stone cold assassin who would slit your throat and fuck your wife.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,412
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kids today

Kareem told Milwaukee to trade him to LA

LA stole the pick that became Magic from Cleveland and stole another one to get Worthy then signed Free Agents for 10 years to fill out the roster

Boston drafted Bird, stole Parrish from Golden State and DJ from Phoenix and McHale was a superior scouting draft pick

NBA teams built through the draft which was bigger and filled with 3 and 4 year players and trades with morons like Ted Stepian

There is nothing inherently evil about Lebron leaving the Cavs who still sucked and joining a 40 win team that had drafted Wade and signed Bosh along with a bunch of others

Durant got punked by the Cavs and Warriors and then joined the 73 win Warrior in what was was accurately described as the bitch move of all time

My point and I do have one is that old Lakers and Celtics led the way in crying about Lebron and they had the benefit of building teams they wanted. Magic got Westhead fired

And then Barkley who left Philly to go play with a stacked Phoenix team then left them to join the champion Rockets in a ring chase shot his mouth off about it

Fuck em all
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Lebron formed a super team. Durant joined a super team. Lebron was the best player on the Heat. Durant is not the best player on the Warriors and I think you can argue pretty reasonably he’s the 3rd most important player on that team.

Durant also committed the greatest crime last year by making the game boring. Say whatever you want about Lebron but holy shit has he made it interesting. If Durant’s career disappeared tomorrow no one would give a shit. Lebron’s career disappearing would cause an NBA black hole.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,497
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

haie said:

Good PellyDub game. AD is easy to root for when he’s punking Green instead of my bl0sers

I'd say Green did the punking, but you're a fucking retard, so......
    I'd say I poasted that when AD was actually punking Green and the score was close, but you wanted to make a 'but you're a fucking retard' side note post, so......
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Lebron formed a super team. Durant joined a super team. Lebron was the best player on the Heat. Durant is not the best player on the Warriors and I think you can argue pretty reasonably he’s the 3rd most important player on that team.

Durant also committed the greatest crime last year by making the game boring. Say whatever you want about Lebron but holy shit has he made it interesting. If Durant’s career disappeared tomorrow no one would give a shit. Lebron’s career disappearing would cause an NBA black hole.

Bullshit. Durant is a top 5 defender and a top 5 scorer in the league. No He's not as good as LeBron and NO he doesn't have the same cultural impact on the league. But He is the reason why the Playoffs and Finals were a cake walk for the Dubs last year, just as they will be this year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gotta like this Jazz team. Quin Snyder is another good coach. Mitchell just threw down a nasty dunk.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited May 2018
    dnc said:

Where's @Fire_Marshall_Bill for the pickem?

For the NBA? Jesus Christ no...fucking ball hogs, AAU fags with little fundamentals, and lazy fucks who camp out at the 3 point line. I wouldn't waste the time and effort. Unrelated: Whenever I tune in a game it's the Celtics 90% of the time..it's weird.

If the Sonics still existed and were good, I might give it a passing thought.
    Ironic since this analysis is lazy
    How so? This is exactly what I see from almost every team. Three pointer. One or two passes. Jack up a three. Miss a lay up. Hard-on tries to juke everyone and misses his shot. That's like 70% of the possessions, more like 80. Other than the Spurs, who plays basketball likes it's supposed to be played? Come on man. You're old enough to remember the NBA when it was good and guys passed, cut, didn't brick lay ups, and there were fights. You're better than this. I can forgive the 28 year old Millennials who don't know any better.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Gotta like this Jazz team. Quin Snyder is another good coach. Mitchell just threw down a nasty dunk.

Stunned they pulled through and weathered that comeback.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,863
    edited May 2018

dnc said:

Where's @Fire_Marshall_Bill for the pickem?

For the NBA? Jesus Christ no...fucking ball hogs, AAU fags with little fundamentals, and lazy fucks who camp out at the 3 point line. I wouldn't waste the time and effort. Unrelated: Whenever I tune in a game it's the Celtics 90% of the time..it's weird.

If the Sonics still existed and were good, I might give it a passing thought.
    Ironic since this analysis is lazy
    How so? This is exactly what I see from almost every team. Three pointer. One or two passes. Jack up a three. Miss a lay up. Hard-on tries to juke everyone and misses his shot. That's like 70% of the possessions, more like 80. Other than the Spurs, who plays basketball likes it's supposed to be played? Come on man. You're old enough to remember the NBA when it was good and guys passed, cut, didn't brick lay ups, and there were fights. You're better than this. I can forgive the 28 year old Millennials who don't know any better.
    Golden State moves around far more than Jordan’s triangle teams and anything iso-oriented Magic’s Lakers or Birds Celtics ever did. The only thing close to what Golden State does is Doug Moe’s old passing game with the Nuggets.

I can’t stand high ball screen pick and pop which is what about 70% of teams do. But that’s not what Golden State, NOLA, San Antonio, Boston, Philly, Milwaukee and Utah are doing as their primary stuff.

Phoenix just hired Utah’s assistant who is a Euro - so their style will change to more movement too.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

Bullshit. Durant is a top 5 defender and a top 5 scorer in the league. No He's not as good as LeBron and NO he doesn't have the same cultural impact on the league. But He is the reason why the Playoffs and Finals were a cake walk for the Dubs last year, just as they will be this year.
    Sure. And Steph is the best scorer and Draymond, when he’s engaged, is the best defender. Hence third most important.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I hate the Jazz as much as any red blooded american should. Mitchell is great but you cant let a rookie do that to you at home. That was the kind of classic post Hakeem Rockets game everyone was afraid of. Way to show up......
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Race,

One thing I will add to your Celtics point is that Parish AND McHale were part of the same deal. The Celtics traded their #1 overall to the Warriors (who took Joe Barry Carroll) and got back Parish and the #3 overall (McHale).

In some ways, the adults/Tatum deal may be looked back similarly.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I have a big difference in my opinions on LBJ to Miami (and back to Cleveland) and KD to GSW.

LBJ knee his Cleveland team wasn’t good enough and entered into a partnership with Miami to keep Wade, sign Bosh, and himself. Once that team aged and ran its course he jumped back to Cleveland which had rebuilt a foundation with Irving and a #1 pick (which he forced a flip to get Kevin Love. This summer LBJ will move again somewhere where he can construct his next project. I got no issues with it as long as he is transparent about his reasons and how he forces moves in an organization torpedos it after he leaves.

My take on KD from interviews/conversations is that guy is a hoops junky that chases playing the perfect game. The money and winning is nice but he’d be playing regardless because it really is his passion. He rightfully concluded that playing with Westbrook wasn’t going to enable him to chase that nirvana. Going to GSW was about getting that perfect brand of movement on offense with great passing plus the team level of defense. My expectation is that KD stays at GSW long-term with the only possible moves being to close out his career home in DC or if Seattle gets a teamto bookend his career.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

I have a big difference in my opinions on LBJ to Miami (and back to Cleveland) and KD to GSW.

LBJ knee his Cleveland team wasn’t good enough and entered into a partnership with Miami to keep Wade, sign Bosh, and himself. Once that team aged and ran its course he jumped back to Cleveland which had rebuilt a foundation with Irving and a #1 pick (which he forced a flip to get Kevin Love. This summer LBJ will move again somewhere where he can construct his next project. I got no issues with it as long as he is transparent about his reasons and how he forces moves in an organization torpedos it after he leaves.

My take on KD from interviews/conversations is that guy is a hoops junky that chases playing the perfect game. The money and winning is nice but he’d be playing regardless because it really is his passion. He rightfully concluded that playing with Westbrook wasn’t going to enable him to chase that nirvana. Going to GSW was about getting that perfect brand of movement on offense with great passing plus the team level of defense. My expectation is that KD stays at GSW long-term with the only possible moves being to close out his career home in DC or if Seattle gets a teamto bookend his career.

That’s a really nice theory on KD and good for him on trying to spin it that way. The problem is he’s on twitter making alt accounts to defend himself. That’s not the move of someone that only cares about basketball nirvana. That’s the move of a loser, desperate for the approval of others.

Also, this beautiful game that Golden State plays only exists when Steph is healthy. It’s not nirvana, it’s Steph’s gravity. It’s not the ultimate of team basketball, it’s Steph’s greatness.