Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

California to the rescue

Comments

• BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028
    Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

They should be taxed for every piece of toilet paper they use, and made to account for each seperate piece. Tax them every time they drink a glass of water. Tax them every time they eat a sandwich. Tax them for every breath they take.

When I retired from the Navy I was living in Maryland and became a resident. I owned a small townhouse at the time. I got a letter in the mail telling me that the local county government had just determined the square footage of my roof for a new rain tax that had been passed. I thought it was a joke. Turns out it wasn't. They wanted about 200 bucks a year for the only rainwater runoff tax in the United States. Maryland, being a land of leftists, already had some of the most absurd taxes ever, but taxing rain took the cake. I moved to Virginia 6 months later. No tax on rain here. Will these idiots never learn? People leave when you tax the absolute shit out of them for useless feel good crap.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbrown/2014/01/03/when-it-rains-it-pours-tax-dollars-in-maryland/#6d745cac7c69
    It's crazy to me how much extra people will pay to just exist somewhere. Most people don't take advantage of the local scenery or events. They get up, go to work, come home, eat, and watch Netflix until they pass out. On Saturday they lay around all day and might go do a little something that night then spend Sunday getting ready for the week.

You really need to spend $500k on an 800sq ft condo to do that? Not to mention the tax ass fucking they get on top of it.
    I don't need to go to the beach every day to get the benefits of living next to it. Never too hot, never too cold, laid-back ultra-bluestate surfer hippie culture with a bunch of tech mixed in, million-dollar price tags keep out the riffraff. I've lived elsewhere. Never again.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

Swaye said:

They should be taxed for every piece of toilet paper they use, and made to account for each seperate piece. Tax them every time they drink a glass of water. Tax them every time they eat a sandwich. Tax them for every breath they take.

When I retired from the Navy I was living in Maryland and became a resident. I owned a small townhouse at the time. I got a letter in the mail telling me that the local county government had just determined the square footage of my roof for a new rain tax that had been passed. I thought it was a joke. Turns out it wasn't. They wanted about 200 bucks a year for the only rainwater runoff tax in the United States. Maryland, being a land of leftists, already had some of the most absurd taxes ever, but taxing rain took the cake. I moved to Virginia 6 months later. No tax on rain here. Will these idiots never learn? People leave when you tax the absolute shit out of them for useless feel good crap.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbrown/2014/01/03/when-it-rains-it-pours-tax-dollars-in-maryland/#6d745cac7c69
    Tax on personal property. In addition to paying registration for your car, you get to pay taxes on its value.
    And still I am not remotely close to my tax bill in Maryland. Income is somewhere around 6 versus 11 in Maryland. The gas tax was like 17 cents per gallon higher back then as well. And property taxes are absurdely higher in Maryland. So yeah, I get a tax on my car. Pretty easy to live with when income tax is 40% less, property tax is 40% less, sales tax is a cent and a half less, and they don't tax rain.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Swaye said:

BearsWiin said:

Swaye said:

Tax on personal property. In addition to paying registration for your car, you get to pay taxes on its value.
    And still I am not remotely close to my tax bill in Maryland. Income is somewhere around 6 versus 11 in Maryland. The gas tax was like 17 cents per gallon higher back then as well. And property taxes are absurdely higher in Maryland. So yeah, I get a tax on my car. Pretty easy to live with when income tax is 40% less, property tax is 40% less, sales tax is a cent and a half less, and they don't tax rain.
    You sound poor
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028

Swaye said:

BearsWiin said:

Swaye said:

You sound poor
    they all are
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,668 Standard Supporter
    LebamDawg said:

Swaye said:

Parts of Maryland are nice. Quaint countryside, some pretty cool waterways, and Annapolis is high water mark, very cool place, but it also has Baltimore, a total shithole outside of the inner harbor, and little italy and the state is a complete tax shithole.

California is coupling absurd taxes with sanctuary state status virtually guaranteeing an increase in the influx of illegals to go along with the outflow of businesses. That won't end badly now will it? Complete shithole in the making.
    fixed
    I get a boner thinking about the Bookmaker salad here.

Fucking deliciousness. That said, both Balmer and Jake Browning suck.

http://www.sabatinos.com/menu/appetizers.asp
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club

LebamDawg said:

Swaye said:

Parts of Maryland are nice. Quaint countryside, some pretty cool waterways, and Annapolis is high water mark, very cool place, but it also has Baltimore, a total shithole outside of the inner harbor, and little italy and the state is a complete tax shithole.

California is coupling absurd taxes with sanctuary state status virtually guaranteeing an increase in the influx of illegals to go along with the outflow of businesses. That won't end badly now will it? Complete shithole in the making.
    fixed
    I get a boner thinking about the Bookmaker salad here.

Fucking deliciousness. That said, both Balmer and Jake Browning suck.

http://www.sabatinos.com/menu/appetizers.asp
    Some great Italian restaurants in that area. Some years back, bar hopping after a little business, I tripped into Amicci's and was very pleasantly surprised. Would highly recommend.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    BearsWiin said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

It's crazy to me how much extra people will pay to just exist somewhere. Most people don't take advantage of the local scenery or events. They get up, go to work, come home, eat, and watch Netflix until they pass out. On Saturday they lay around all day and might go do a little something that night then spend Sunday getting ready for the week.

You really need to spend $500k on an 800sq ft condo to do that? Not to mention the tax ass fucking they get on top of it.
    I don't need to go to the beach every day to get the benefits of living next to it. Never too hot, never too cold, laid-back ultra-bluestate surfer hippie culture with a bunch of tech mixed in, million-dollar price tags keep out the riffraff. I've lived elsewhere. Never again.
    @CirrhosisDawg , Do you have the same standard of living in Raceda?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    Pasadena was the original classy LA suburb and the reason for the nations first "freeway", the 110 as it is known today. Very narrow with 0-60 in 1 second on ramps.

Lots of mansions and classic homes in Pasadena. I'm sure @CirrhosisDawg has one
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390

Pasadena was the original classy LA suburb and the reason for the nations first "freeway", the 110 as it is known today. Very narrow with 0-60 in 1 second on ramps.

Lots of mansions and classic homes in Pasadena. I'm sure @CirrhosisDawg has one

Pasadena is a foothill city. The San Gabriel mountains provide great recreation, but not much cooling from the marine layer. It can get stifling hot in august and September. A million dollar home doesn’t get you much here — maybe 1800 square feet, and 3BR/2BA, with some fix up do. We bought in 2010 before this latest residential real estate bull market started.

I stay in the middle lanes on the 110. With the curves and short on-ramps, the far rights lanes can be death traps.
    In addition to getting hot as hell in the summer, Pasadena can get very smoggy. Agree on the classic homes, but not a fan. Love the coastline in Southern California, but IMO, the inland areas suck until you get a fair distance north or south of LA.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    "Man, you can't tell me you wouldn't rather live in Shelton.'

Actual quote.
    dflea said:

Actual quote.

The lower Puget Sound is beautiful country. No question. Kind of damp and gloomy a lot of the year but there are people that like that. I did for a long time
    dflea said:

Actual quote.

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228

dflea said:

Actual quote.

The lower Puget Sound is beautiful country. No question. Kind of damp and gloomy a lot of the year but there are people that like that. I did for a long time
    I like the south Puget Sound area. It's about as good as it gets for outdoor recreation, and the weather isn't too fucked if you can tolerate the rain.

The above is not an endorsement for living in Shelton.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390

In addition to getting hot as hell in the summer, Pasadena can get very smoggy. Agree on the classic homes, but not a fan. Love the coastline in Southern California, but IMO, the inland areas suck until you get a fair distance north or south of LA.

The Southern California foothills and mountains are as appealing as the coastline, IMO. In either case, you can’t wing it because you will get overwhelmed by traffic, parking, crowds and idiots if you haven’t planned out exactly what you want to do or experience.

The Southern California foothills and mountains are as appealing as the coastline, IMO. In either case, you can’t wing it because you will get overwhelmed by traffic, parking, crowds and idiots if you haven’t planned out exactly what you want to do or experience.
    It's a beautiful state, with outstanding weather. The San Gabriels are nice, one of my dads was a big fan, but IMO, the mountains are much more impressive in northern California, and nearly the entire California coastline is gorgeous from Crescent City to San Diego. At my age, I have no interest in living in or around LA. Places like Pismo Beach/SLO are more my speed.

It's a beautiful state, with outstanding weather. The San Gabriels are nice, one of my dads was a big fan, but IMO, the mountains are much more impressive in northern California, and nearly the entire California coastline is gorgeous from Crescent City to San Diego. At my age, I have no interest in living in or around LA. Places like Pismo Beach/SLO are more my speed.
    And a little north to the Cambria, Paseo Robles San Simeon area

That's my new gettaway area
  • Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,321 Swaye's Wigwam

And a little north to the Cambria, Paseo Robles San Simeon area

That's my new gettaway area
    I had you pegged as a Solvang guy

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    BearsWiin said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

Elimination of the estate tax means you can throw this into a Perpetual Trust tax free keeping it within your Caste forever!
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,229 Standard Supporter

Since you ride a skateboard you don't have to worry about the ridiculous vehicle registration rates. I just don't understand how you live in your parents basement in a state where basements are not common.