Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The reality that none of this matters

The conference "Game of the Year" is in the middle of the night on a Thursday.

Ultimately no one gives a fuck about west coast football.

Comments

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    They'll care when Oregon knocks Alabama's dick in the dirt in the Natty. I like to say Natty. Oregon is relevant everywhere, like it or not.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    I'm an Oregon fan, and I'll believe it when I see it. We're 0-fer the Century against SEC schools that value football over education.
  • Larry Scott deserves an F for his scheduling this year. Oregon-Stanford on a thursday?? UW-Stanford started at 10 p.m. Eastern, Gameday came to UW-Oregon but it was on a channel that nobody fucking watches.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,070

TTJ said:

They'll care when Oregon knocks Alabama's dick in the dirt in the Natty. I like to say Natty. Oregon is relevant everywhere, like it or not.

I just don't see it. Saban will have an answer for that offense when given a month to prepare. You saw UCLA take Oregon out of its game for a half by being physical. I think Oregon would have a very tough time beating Alabama or Florida State.

Yours would be a compelling point if not for the fact that Oregon plays most everyone close for a half. Or rolled ucla with marshall and Tyner and very little Mariota Huff Addison or Mamba.

I get the bama lean ... but I think oregon can run with them with the full playbook and focus.
  • BiggusDickusBiggusDickus Member Posts: 553
    edited November 2013
    Nobody in Tennessee gives two fucks about education. Their team sucks, too.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

TTJ said:

I just don't see it. Saban will have an answer for that offense when given a month to prepare. You saw UCLA take Oregon out of its game for a half by being physical. Alabama would do the same thing except with a defense full of NFL players. I think Oregon would have a very tough time beating Alabama or Florida State.

Saban has already conceded the only way to beat Oregon's offense is to outscore it.

There are few answers to the offense.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650

Nobody in Tennessee gives two fucks about education. Their team sucks, too.

Ah yes, gotta give Tennessee its due. Patron state of the "toothbrush." If invented anywhere else, it would have been called a teethbrush.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    Alabama and FSU will play for Natty, TTJ likes to say Natty. Sorry Phil.
  • WhiskeyDawgWhiskeyDawg Member Posts: 406
    Nebraska cares about "Nowledge"
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    topdawgnc said:

TTJ said:

I just don't see it. Saban will have an answer for that offense when given a month to prepare. You saw UCLA take Oregon out of its game for a half by being physical. Alabama would do the same thing except with a defense full of NFL players. I think Oregon would have a very tough time beating Alabama or Florida State.

Saban has already conceded the only way to beat Oregon's offense is to outscore it.

Link? I know Saban Oregon has a great offense, but it's already been proven multiple times that a great DL can make it very ordinary. Alabama has a great DL and plenty of depth. They might not shut Oregon down, by Oregon's not scoring 40 with a month to prepare. If Alabama holds Oreogn in the 20's, they will win rather easily.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,107 Founders Club
    See Texas a&m for insight on Bama needing to outscore Oregon
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    Which is shit, because we normally get a GA Tech/UNC or some shit like that on Thursdays, but this week we have Stanford/Oregon and Baylor/OU on at the same damn time. WTF?

topdawgnc said:

TTJ said:

Link? I know Saban Oregon has a great offense, but it's already been proven multiple times that a great DL can make it very ordinary. Alabama has a great DL and plenty of depth. They might not shut Oregon down, by Oregon's not scoring 40 with a month to prepare. If Alabama holds Oreogn in the 20's, they will win rather easily.

“I don’t have anything against no-huddle,” Saban said, adding: “It’s a tremendous advantage to the offense. So I don’t blame any offensive coach for wanting to do it, and taking advantage of it, deceiving the defense with the pace of the game, whatever you want to call it. But I just think that someone should examine: is this where we want this to go for player safety?”

I get the SEC is miles ahead regarding speed on defense and willingness to play physical. And I saw that UCLA made some headway by being physical against the offense.

But this Oregon team is built to win, it is a vastly different team than the one that got beat by LSU ...

What I would challenge you on is the "multiple times a great DL line has made it look ordinary". Chip only lost 7 times ...

I would put my money on Oregon.

I agree that Oregon is great, and I didn't mean to imply it was easy to make Oregon look ordinary. It's just that the blueprint for beating Oregon has been available for awhile. Ohio State, Auburn, LSU, even Stanford last year showed it. You have to win up front. All the new schemes are great, but the teams with the better OL and DL almost always win. Alabama has a better OL and DL, they have depth, and they also have the best coach in the game.
  • DucksruleDucksrule Member Posts: 98
    The only "blueprint" to beating Oregon is to have a Top-5 team and play better than they do on a given day. They don't lose enough to anyone consistently enough to simply say "here's all it takes".

DR
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club
    Ducksrule said:

The only "blueprint" to beating Oregon is to have a Top-5 team and play better than they do on a given day. They don't lose enough to anyone consistently enough to simply say "here's all it takes".

DR

Disagree. RoadDawg is right. The key is to control the line of scrimmage. Nothing earth shattering.

Ducksrule said:

DR

Disagree. RoadDawg is right. The key is to control the line of scrimmage. Nothing earth shattering.
    The real question is how does Alabama's lines stack up to Oregon's?

What makes Alabama's better?

aTm blew Alabama's defense's doors off with one great player.

Oregon has at least two game changers ... is the argument being made aTm could beat Oregon?

Take the purple glasses off, Oregon is that damn good.
    edited November 2013
    Alabama has allowed 26 points the last 6 weeks. That's giving up a little over 4 points per game. Don't be fooled by the 42 given up to A&M and Johnny Football. Manziel played out of his fucking mind on that day. I think Mariota is very, very good, but Manziel was about as great as anyone can play on that day. They have a great defense, and Nick Saban would have over a month to prepare.

Oregon has very good lines, especially compared to other Pac 12 teams. I don't think they are close to as good as Alabama's though. I enjoy watching Oregon and think they have a great program, but I'm sorry, they aren't as good as Alabama. Alabama has more talent, more depth, more future NFL players, and one of the best coaches of all time. There is a reason they have won two national championships in a row. It's not having purple colored glasses to think Alabama would beat Oregon. Until proven otherwise, Alabama is the best team.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,107 Founders Club
    Its just the opposite. Bama had a bye before A&M and had played them last year. They still got worked again, even worse. The last 6 weeks have been against standard competition.

Marriot is as good as Johnny Football and just the kind of guy that gives Bama fits.

Its the Oregon defense that will tell the tale. A&M scored 42 but gave up 49. Oregon has a better defense than A&M. And as good of an offense.