Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OFFICIAL: Oregon Coaching Search thread

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Oregon just needs to take the interim tag off of Cristobal and call it gravy.
  • Options
    RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I'm hearing there is interest from Art Briles.. #fearmyspear
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Guess how many plays Helfrich called while he was OC?

Guess who did 90% of the QB coaching?

Helfrich was a glorified WRs coach. These are things I know because I follow my program. It's great that Helf and Pete are frenz. They met when Helf was a GA and Pete was, you guessed it - the WR coach.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    If Helf is so awesome, other programs must be beating down his door to be a HC? No? What about as OC? Still no? What about as QB coach....?

Surely the man is employed somewhere, yes?
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited December 2017
    NTXDUCKFS, if he is not going to win anything at Oregon, why does he even deserve a shot? The point should be to hold a shitshow together? Why do we have to limit a search to the unemployed losers who currently pass for coaches? Oregon has the money to poach other big programs' sitting coaches.
  • Options
    Because no realistic options are guys who are going to win anything. So don't fuck yourself long term by committing money and resources to a guy who 99% isn't going to pan out. Just let him keep the program afloat for 1-2 years, and then go get a coach who will win something when they're available.

If Cristobal steers the program for one year, does a good job recruiting, and the next Matt Campbell is available in 2018, go get him and you'll be back on track in 2019.

If you hire Sumlin this year because you're desperate for a "name", you are doing this dance all over again in 2021....
  • Options
    ShallowCunt: "But I love how you antiquate Helfrich's failure as a head coach to his ability as an OC when they are two completely different jobs. Dumb people say dumb shit I guess."

Agree.
  • Options
    BallzDeep=Fentress.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Looks like a better list than yours, which includes Cristobal, who doesn't have a great record as a head coach, and probably all the other shit names being thrown around like Kiffin, Leach, etc. While we're at it, lets add Butch Jones to the mix. Why shouldn't Oregon pursue someone like Malzahn for example? It's not like Auburn is completely happy with him. He was struggling to keep his job earlier in the year according to some. His offensive mind would fit perfectly in Oregon.
  • Options
    Matt Campbell would be the only guy on my list who's not an internal hire, but Oregon is way too cheap to pay that buyout. I think you are unable to comprehend what I'm saying. I don't want Cristobal or Leavitt long term. I want a good coach long term. None are available this year. So suck it up, go 8-4 next season and keep the talent coming in, and then hire a good coach in 2018, and you are competing for the P12 North in 2019. If you reach and try to make a good hire this offseason, you have to give them at least 3 years, because stupid cfball unwritten rules say so. Which means that when it doesn't pan out (which it won't, because all the external names being discussed suck), it is 2021/2022 at the earliest before you are competing for the division again.

So; Compete for the division in 2019, or 2022? Which do you prefer?
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Looks like a better list than yours, which includes Cristobal, who doesn't have a great record as a head coach, and probably all the other shit names being thrown around like Kiffin, Leach, etc. While we're at it, lets add Butch Jones to the mix. Why shouldn't Oregon pursue someone like Malzahn for example? It's not like Auburn is completely happy with him. He was struggling to keep his job earlier in the year according to some. His offensive mind would fit perfectly in Oregon.
    Your boy Taggs had a not-great record as a head coach too. You liked the hire plenty.
  • Options
    Taggart had upside potential. The names out there this year are proven failures. So fuck them all.
  • Options
    I prefer to compete for the title, not the division.
  • Options
    @BallzDeep

Helfrich has a mitigation clause in his buyout. He can't really turn down a coaching job, unless he's making that much money on FoxSports2. He isn't.
  • Options
    @oregonblitzkrieg

Rich people get and stay rich by not wasting their money. Phil's not a retard like the AnM boosters. He's going to get the best coach and staff he can get for market rates. Fact is, the department can't afford 105,000 seat stadium money with a 60,000 seat stadium.

Oregon will stay competitive and pay top 25 money, but we're not going nuts here. Saban et al aren't coming no matter what.

The best outcome here is probably to keep as much of the staff and class as we can, in particular the recruiting talent, and see how they do. At the very least keep the talent top 4-5 in the league and if they fuck up go for a more splash hire if the W's aren't there.