Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Social security and Medicare are next

Comments

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Swaye said:

Anyone 50 or below who ever thought social security would be there for them in any significant way in retirement has the brains of a turnip and should be drug out behind the barn and shot.

Not with that attitude, we won't. I fail to see why a pension system that I have put tons of money into since I was 15 should not provide the pension I paid for.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,616 Standard Supporter
    An overhaul, or even just small adjustments to it, of SS needs to happen before trying to rewrite the tax code.

The hot mess as proposed is not going to end well.
    Increase SS get some olds to retire, free up some space in the job market for da yoots, large increases in personal spending... bada bing bada boom
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

Anyone 50 or below who ever thought social security would be there for them in any significant way in retirement has the brains of a turnip and should be drug out behind the barn and shot.

Not with that attitude, we won't. I fail to see why a pension system that I have put tons of money into since I was 15 should not provide the pension I paid for.
    Have you seen how government works? It's a bunch of broke dicks fucking everything up. SS is basically an insolvent program thanks to government incompetence for 50 years. We can all sit around and dream they fix it, but my money is on continued fuckupery and the program being basically tits up in 20 years. Fuck the government. They couldn't manage a whorehouse.
    Our government fuckuppery is mostly institutionalized graft (Flag officers working at General Dynamics, ex Congresspeople on K Street), and stupid legislation designed to frustrate the ability of government to do its job (largely from one side of the aisle, but hey).

Nobody on SS complains about SS. Nobody on Medicare/Medicaid advocates their abolition. Medicare spends way less on admin costs than private insurers, and most of the idiocy (rules regarding drug costs and such) are the result of one party trying to frustrate the ability of Medicare to do its job.

Even the VA isn't as bad as the press. Most VA bitching comes from people with no perspective. I get VA for some things and private insurance for others, and generally I find the VA to be more responsive in terms of administration, although for my ortho/spine shit I go to a private provider because the wait is too long with my VA PCM.

"The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."

- PJ O'Rourke

I agree with PJ on this one. I think we should always take a hard look at the things we think government should do (in general, I prefer market solutions), but in cases where markets contain their own irrational features or imperfect information or participation, government can play a role. And where it can, let it do its job.
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    lololololol Economic growth is so old skool. Can we vote these guys off the Island yet? Any system with plans of reaching longevity must forget growth and strive for equilibrium. What is this equilibrium you ask? It is finding success in the pursuit of quality not growth. Ant colonies are a good example of how this is achieved in nature. They follow the same explosive growth pattern that humanity has shown and then taper off to an equilibrium before the thing blows up in their faces.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    I just read the entire plan. Looks good. Nothing to worry about
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Swaye said:

AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

Have you seen how government works? It's a bunch of broke dicks fucking everything up. SS is basically an insolvent program thanks to government incompetence for 50 years. We can all sit around and dream they fix it, but my money is on continued fuckupery and the program being basically tits up in 20 years. Fuck the government. They couldn't manage a whorehouse.
    Actually SS still brings in more money than it pays out and has since it was started. In a few years it will tilt the other way, but there's like 50 years or whatever of surpluses in the program.
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

Actually SS still brings in more money than it pays out and has since it was started. In a few years it will tilt the other way, but there's like 50 years or whatever of surpluses in the program.
    Well except for Congress raiding it periodically, sure
    AZDuck said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

Well except for Congress raiding it periodically, sure
    Periodically? It's raided every year technically. In that the revenues are counted in with the general spending of the government. And both the revenues and expenses are included when calculating the deficit.
    Every year = that's a period
    AZDuck said:

Every year = that's a period

True
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

Social Security is not a pension.
    doogie said:

AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

A defined benefits retirement isn't a pension?

Is this one of those GOP fun-with-semantics games like "the US isn't a democracy"?
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,228
    AZDuck said:

doogie said:

AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

Is this one of those GOP fun-with-semantics games like "the US isn't a democracy"?
    No. Just doogie being the retarded cunt he is.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,668 Standard Supporter
    AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

I just read the entire plan. Looks good. Nothing to worry about

So, nothing special, @BearsWiin ?
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,229 Standard Supporter
    edited December 2017
    Paying out to those who never paid in has killed the system as well as occasional raiding of the funds. If you didn't pay in you should get nothing out.
    Sledog said:

Paying out to those who never paid in has killed the system as well as occasional raiding of the funds. If you didn't pay in you should get nothing out.

Exactly. Good thing you have to pay in to get benefits.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,073 Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

doogie said:

AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

Social Security was designed to be Insurance.

Premised on the idea that people would take care of themselves first. And if you don't, here's enough for a ham sammich.
    pawz said:

AZDuck said:

doogie said:

AZDuck said:

Swaye said:

Social Security was designed to be Insurance.

Premised on the idea that people would take care of themselves first. And if you don't, here's enough for a ham sammich.
    sure.gif

So I want the ham sandwich I paid for when I retire. Why should I willingly allow the gummit to withdraw a benefit that I've been paying for over the last 30 years?