Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

FS Great Compromise of 1787 - Looking at the numbers

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,172
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Eliminating the state tax deduction is brilliant

Agree. the vast majority of CA will see why federalism is the answer.

Ryan losing the house is the most likely scenario.

The uneducated, unskilled and unproductive don’t want CA’s benevolence.

It’s time to let them all go. Good luck.

Question for your busted liver Dawg: What state in the US would you say received the largest share (on a per capita basis) of Cold War era defense spending (which was critical to said state becoming the economic powerhouse that it is today)? Tax payer largesse is a 2 way street throughout our history.
    Understood. Post WWII and cold war military spending created a pyrrhic cal economy: George, Norton, Sacramento, alameda, el segundo, et al all closed. I lived through it. Point is CA reformed and educated itself. We didn’t bitch and cry like today’s entitled white trash. Led by our institutions of higher education, we re-skilled and once again lead the workd economy based on an entirely revamped and highly skilled work force. Tromps can fuck off. They will get what they deserve. Ultimately.
    Agree to some extent pyrrhic aspect. I lived in SD till '92 and my Dad's business was definitely affected. Brutal recession. My point is, however, is that in spite of retooling themselves, CA probably wouldn't be where it is today without big government defense spending. Silicon Valley don't happen the way it did w/o Ruskies launching Webber BBQ's into outer space.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

Question for your busted liver Dawg: What state in the US would you say received the largest share (on a per capita basis) of Cold War era defense spending (which was critical to said state becoming the economic powerhouse that it is today)? Tax payer largesse is a 2 way street throughout our history.
    Understood. Post WWII and cold war military spending created a pyrrhic cal economy: George, Norton, Sacramento, alameda, el segundo, et al all closed. I lived through it. Point is CA reformed and educated itself. We didn’t bitch and cry like today’s entitled white trash. Led by our institutions of higher education, we re-skilled and once again lead the workd economy based on an entirely revamped and highly skilled work force. Tromps can fuck off. They will get what they deserve. Ultimately.
    Agree to some extent pyrrhic aspect. I lived in SD till '92 and my Dad's business was definitely affected. Brutal recession. My point is, however, is that in spite of retooling themselves, CA probably wouldn't be where it is today without big government defense spending. Silicon Valley don't happen the way it did w/o Ruskies launching Webber BBQ's into outer space.
    It’s interesting how American progress, ingenuity and success played out over the the 20th century, attrituable in large part to the passion of our immigrants — basque, Slav, German, Irish, Mexican... we made america great. Now the narrow-minded, unskilled, and uneducated say we need to build a “wall”

Fuck that. Fuck off.

CA independence.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

I think the home mortgage deduction is good public policy. But doubling the standard deduction may make that un necessary. Most middle class wage earners don't have anything other than the home interest to deduct

Simplify means getting rid of most deductions and lowering rates.

Holy fuck, No itemizers? Most middle class wage earners only deduct mortgage interest?

I love husky football. I graduated from Uw in 1988. Born and raised in Seattle. HH is surprising to me in that I had no idea there were so many wt fans. I assumed we all were better than that, especially in 2017. Guess not.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,079
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Do you have a point?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Understood. Post WWII and cold war military spending created a pyrrhic cal economy: George, Norton, Sacramento, alameda, el segundo, et al all closed. I lived through it. Point is CA reformed and educated itself. We didn’t bitch and cry like today’s entitled white trash. Led by our institutions of higher education, we re-skilled and once again lead the world economy based on an entirely revamped and highly skilled work force. Troomps can fuck off. They will get what they deserve. Ultimately.
    So if gurgle is the drown sound. What sound would best describe your State cut off from outside water?

Crackle???
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,633

I could see the popular vote winner losing more often going forward. Its happened twice this century. More so if the GOP candidate wins the Electoral College Bowl

Take 2020 - Trump will lose California by millions of votes again but he has the new coalition that the democrats continue to ignore that gives him the EC map to victory.

January 21, 2021. Independence Day!
    That speech almost singlehandedly ruined the movie.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited November 2017
    It will be interesting in the coming years to see how the political map will change as people move within the US. Here’s a press release from the Census Bureau from late 2016:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2016/cb16-214.html

Utah is one of the fastest growing in terms of percentage growth, along with Nevada and Idaho. While I don’t think the big city powers of New York, San Francisco, etc. are going away, I also see a lot of people moving out in the future - especially if housing costs keep going up the way they are and how many jobs are becoming more mobile. These transplants from the coasts will take their political beliefs with them.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

It will be interesting in the coming years to see how the political map will change as people move within the US. Here’s a press release from the Census Bureau from late 2016:

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2016/cb16-214.html

Utah is one of the fastest growing in terms of percentage growth, along with Nevada and Idaho. While I don’t think the big city powers of New York, San Francisco, etc. are going away, I also see a lot of people moving out in the future - especially if housing costs keep going up the way they are and how many jobs are becoming more mobile. These transplants from the coasts will take their political beliefs with them.

That's why Montana has had Democrats for governor and Congress. But the state house, which is setup similar to the federal to give weight to holding more districts than people, is always Republican.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Understood. Post WWII and cold war military spending created a pyrrhic cal economy: George, Norton, Sacramento, alameda, el segundo, et al all closed. I lived through it. Point is CA reformed and educated itself. We didn’t bitch and cry like today’s entitled white trash. Led by our institutions of higher education, we re-skilled and once again lead the world economy based on an entirely revamped and highly skilled work force. Troomps can fuck off. They will get what they deserve. Ultimately.
    The highly educated don't give up their free speech rights to the state. The highly fucktarded do. I hope CA secedes and transforms into the Orwellian state the nouveau left totalitarians that run that shithole want it to become. Also, poast lynx to prove your "CA leads the world economy" claims or gtfo.

• Options

It’s interesting how American progress, ingenuity and success played out over the the 20th century, attrituable in large part to the passion of our immigrants — basque, Slav, German, Irish, Mexican... we made america great. Now the narrow-minded, unskilled, and uneducated say we need to build a “wall”

Fuck that. Fuck off.

CA independence.
    We need a wall. On the California/Oregon border. Keep you buttfuckers outta the north.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,073
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

It’s clear where US law is headed in the absence of any sensible public policy direction.

thoughtless GOP tax reform (under which cal taxable income earners of $200k pay an additional $2,000 per person or so subsidy to red states)
    — isolationist economic and trade policies
    — mindless nationalist, populist and “Christian” rentrenchment.

Troomps need educated, skilled and productive California more than we need you.

I am a Californian.

The flip side to this coin is those of us living in non income states subsidizing the high state income taxes in places like CA. When prison guards are getting those ridiculous pensions, it tells me the average CA tax payer is being overbilled (yes, this is an over generalization, but you get the idea).

The tax code is like the Papacy selling indulgences and in general it should be made to be as neutral as possible.
    There’s a path to a rational tax and spending policy. Unfortunately, It’s not happening any time soon with the DC shit show.

CA independence.
    Rare time when we agree. I too would like to see California go.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,911
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Your benevolence is, um.... yeah.

You sound bitter.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    PROPORTIONAL REPRESENTATION NOW.

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,911
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    AZDuck said:

UCI acquittal?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,276
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Fuck that. Fuck off.

CA independence.
    You leave out how those "builders" came here legally and it only proves others will do the work illegals are stealing.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,172
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2017
    salemcoog said:

So if gurgle is the drown sound. What sound would best describe your State cut off from outside water?

Crackle???
    CA could probably actually get by on its own water supply (i.e., no more Colorado River imports) if they were not such a bunch of tree huggers and would build more reservoirs, get more of the So Cal rainfall (yes they get a fair bit) stored in aquifers, plus maybe some more desalinization plants. There's a lot of water in the state; it's just about storing it properly and moving it from point A to B. Some farmers would have to be bought ought to which would be expensive.

Plus no one wants your dirty Willamette water anyhow which is polluted with Salem bum piss, fecal matter and full blow AIDS.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,633
    Swaye said:

It’s clear where US law is headed in the absence of any sensible public policy direction.

thoughtless GOP tax reform (under which cal taxable income earners of $200k pay an additional $2,000 per person or so subsidy to red states)
    — isolationist economic and trade policies
    — mindless nationalist, populist and “Christian” rentrenchment.

Troomps need educated, skilled and productive California more than we need you.

I am a Californian.

The flip side to this coin is those of us living in non income states subsidizing the high state income taxes in places like CA. When prison guards are getting those ridiculous pensions, it tells me the average CA tax payer is being overbilled (yes, this is an over generalization, but you get the idea).

The tax code is like the Papacy selling indulgences and in general it should be made to be as neutral as possible.
    There’s a path to a rational tax and spending policy. Unfortunately, It’s not happening any time soon with the DC shit show.

CA independence.
    Rare time when we agree. I too would like to see California go.
    Mainly just LA. I like the rest
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

salemcoog said:

Crackle???
    CA could probably actually get by on its own water supply (i.e., no more Colorado River imports) if they were not such a bunch of tree huggers and would build more reservoirs, get more of the So Cal rainfall (yes they get a fair bit) stored in aquifers, plus maybe some more desalinization plants. There's a lot of water in the state; it's just about storing it properly and moving it from point A to B. Some farmers would have to be bought ought to which would be expensive.

Plus no one wants your dirty Willamette water anyhow which is polluted with Salem bum piss, fecal matter and full blow AIDS.
    and heroin. lots and lots of heroin.
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

Fuck off. Electoral college is there for a reason, to prevent NY and CA from deciding every election. You lost you fucking crybaby. Fair and square. The rules are the rules. Did your mommy change them every time your spoilt ass started crying and threw a tantrum?