Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

FS Great Compromise of 1787 - Looking at the numbers

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,029 Founders Club
Lot of bitching back and forth these days between the BLUE and RED states about who's getting the shaft. Thought it would be worthwhile to look back quickly at the numbers.

1790 US Census (Data included people counted at 3/5 of one human)

- Average Population of the 3 most populous states (23% of the states at the time): 506,000
- Average Population of the 3 least populous states: 69,000
- So the average large population state was 7.3 times more populous in 1790 than the average low population state.

2010 US Census Data

- Average Population of the 10 most populous states (20% of the states at the time): 16.6 million
- Average Population of the 10 least populous states: 887,000
- The average large population state in 2010 was 18.7 times more populous than the average low population state.

I know you small (mostly RED) states grow a lot of food, extract a lot of minerals and energy, so TYFYS, but you certainly aren't getting fucked over by the federal government.

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,668 Standard Supporter
    Well, I'm sold. Should be pretty easy to get 3/4 of the states to amend the Constitution of the United States.

Electoral Coollege gonna Electoral Coollege.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,029 Founders Club

Well, I'm sold. Should be pretty easy to get 3/4 of the states to amend the Constitution of the United States.

More likely that Jake Browning will put the Dawgs on his shoulders and lead the team to a come back victory. The small states ain't going to give up their power and influence no matter what.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club

More likely that Jake Browning will put the Dawgs on his shoulders and lead the team to a come back victory. The small states ain't going to give up their power and influence no matter what.
    ding ding ding

In order to form a more perfect union compromise was required. If the University of Electoral went out of bidness tomorrow the map of the country would change as states merge to maintain a voice against the coastal powers.
    edited November 2017

ding ding ding

In order to form a more perfect union compromise was required. If the University of Electoral went out of bidness tomorrow the map of the country would change as states merge to maintain a voice against the coastal powers.
    And it was a good compromise at the time. The EC has been somewhat of a check, but the popular vote winner, usually still wins. 2016 was speshial and only Bannon called it. The real check on big states was always the Senate and in this respect the power of the little guy has expanded dramatically. LA County, for example, has more people than something like 30 of the states in the US.
    I could see the popular vote winner losing more often going forward. Its happened twice this century. More so if the GOP candidate wins the Electoral College Bowl

Take 2020 - Trump will lose California by millions of votes again but he has the new coalition that the democrats continue to ignore that gives him the EC map to victory.

ding ding ding

Whatever happen, I hope my state is teamed up with Utah because, you know, anal and armpits.

I could see the popular vote winner losing more often going forward. Its happened twice this century. More so if the GOP candidate wins the Electoral College Bowl

Take 2020 - Trump will lose California by millions of votes again but he has the new coalition that the democrats continue to ignore that gives him the EC map to victory.

As it relates to this hypothetical, RussiaGate, doesn't bother me...I could see it if the economy is growing at 4% a year and there's no unpopular military action overseas. But ultimately, I think it comes down to who the Dems nominate. If it's someone who doesn't turn off too many centrists and whilst still getting the pissed off snowflakes out to vote, Trump is toast.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390

January 21, 2021. Independence Day!

January 21, 2021. Independence Day!
    It’s clear where US law is headed in the absence of any sensible public policy direction.

— thoughtless GOP tax reform (under which cal taxable income earners of $200k pay an additional $2,000 per person or so subsidy to red states)
    — isolationist economic and trade policies
    — mindless nationalist, populist and “Christian” rentrenchment.

Troomps need educated, skilled and productive California more than we need you.

I am a Californian.

It’s clear where US law is headed in the absence of any sensible public policy direction.

— thoughtless GOP tax reform (under which cal taxable income earners of $200k pay an additional $2,000 per person or so subsidy to red states)

I am a Californian.

So being a statist is better than being a nationalist. Got it.

I've got all the screenshots I need.
    Eliminating the state tax deduction is brilliant

Agree. the vast majority of CA will see why federalism is the answer.

Ryan losing the house is the most likely scenario.

The uneducated, unskilled and unproductive don’t want CA’s benevolence.

It’s time to let them all go. Good luck.

I am a Californian.

So being a statist is better than being a nationalist. Got it.

I've got all the screenshots I need.
    Yes.

thoughtless GOP tax reform (under which cal taxable income earners of $200k pay an additional $2,000 per person or so subsidy to red states)

I am a Californian.

The flip side to this coin is those of us living in non income states subsidizing the high state income taxes in places like CA. When prison guards are getting those ridiculous pensions, it tells me the average CA tax payer is being overbilled (yes, this is an over generalization, but you get the idea).

The tax code is like the Papacy selling indulgences and in general it should be made to be as neutral as possible.
    There’s a path to a rational tax and spending policy. Unfortunately, It’s not happening any time soon with the DC shit show.

CA independence.

Question for your busted liver Dawg: What state in the US would you say received the largest share (on a per capita basis) of Cold War era defense spending (which was critical to said state becoming the economic powerhouse that it is today)? Tax payer largesse is a 2 way street throughout our history.

What about deductions relating to ownership of real estate? What would you do there?
    I think the home mortgage deduction is good public policy. But doubling the standard deduction may make that un necessary. Most middle class wage earners don't have anything other than the home interest to deduct

Simplify means getting rid of most deductions and lowering rates.
    edited November 2017

Question for your busted liver Dawg: What state in the US would you say received the largest share (on a per capita basis) of Cold War era defense spending (which was critical to said state becoming the economic powerhouse that it is today)? Tax payer largesse is a 2 way street throughout our history.
    Understood. Post WWII and cold war military spending created a pyrrhic cal economy: George, Norton, Sacramento, alameda, el segundo, et al all closed. I lived through it. Point is CA reformed and educated itself. We didn’t bitch and cry like today’s entitled white trash. Led by our institutions of higher education, we re-skilled and once again lead the world economy based on an entirely revamped and highly skilled work force. Troomps can fuck off. They will get what they deserve. Ultimately.