Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Wasting redshirts.

TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
By my rough tally, seven true frosh have appeared in games so far this year:

Mathis
Farria
Ross
Stringfellow
Daniels
Walker
King

Ross has been worth two wins by himself, obviously. But is there any doubt in anybody's mind that UW would have the exact same record today if the other six had redshirted?

Comments

• LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,788
    edited October 2013
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2013
    It's been a problem since Sark took over. I have no problem playing true freshmen, but it's pointless to waste redshirts for guys to barely play. None of those guys have had any significant impact, including Ross.

Tokolahi, Ducre, and Kevin Smith are a couple more examples. We could really use Tokalahi this year, and it would be nice to have Ducre and Kevin Smith next year.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited October 2013
    I think UCLA played like 18 or 19 freshman against Oregon Saturday. But they really had no choice. How good is that team going to be? It is scary that they competed so well defensively against Oregon with a REAL young defense.
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    I would happily burn all of their redshirts if it meant we win more games.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,046 Standard Supporter
    I agree with the burning of redshirts but if that is what it took to get them to sign so be it. You would hope that they would have carved out better roles for them though. I called all the ROss bs before this ever happened. Daniels should have been a TIght End at the start of the season. Farria I don't get burning his at all. Mathis has played a little more but you would hope the upper classmen in these situations would play more.
  • vadawgvadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 467 Swaye's Wigwam
    The difference is, Mora's actually able to "re-load" his positions of need. Sark on the other hand is only able to "un-load" his bowels when it comes to filling holes with recruiting.

I think UCLA played like 18 or 19 freshman against Oregon Saturday. But they really had no choice. How good is that team going to be? It is scary that they competed so well defensively against Oregon with a REAL young defense.

• TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    Every team plays a few true freshmen, which is fine. Some good teams can occasionally get away with playing a bunch of them. (See Alabama, UCLA). But you still shouldn't depart from the default position of RS-ing true frosh without some concrete reason for doing so.

John Ross established himself in camp as one of the team's best return men, and also one of the top four WRs. He also offers a speed dimension that none of the veteran WRs has. He was a no-brainer to play this year.

The other six? The only time they're even seeing the field is in garbage time. They're not helping the team win. So what's the point?
  • Sark has a history of blowing redshirts. Other than Ross the others should be redshirted.

I mean if Stringfellow can't beat out Marvin Hall then he should be redshirted.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    the best player plays. Always. IF you've done your job, that player helps you win regardless of position.

If he's good enough to help you win as a freshman, he would not be around for a 5th year anyway... and that's a good thing.

• the best player plays. Always. IF you've done your job, that player helps you win regardless of position.

If he's good enough to help you win as a freshman, he would not be around for a 5th year anyway... and that's a good thing.

Nobody is disagreeing with that but other than Ross those other guys never play in real time.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160

Sark has a history of blowing redshirts. Other than Ross the others should be redshirted.

I mean if Stringfellow can't beat out Marvin Hall then he should be redshirted.

Sark blows redshirts? I sense a scandal brewing - might be that final nail we've been looking for.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

the best player plays. Always. IF you've done your job, that player helps you win regardless of position.

Which of them besides Ross is helping us win?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam
    Five wins and we still have two coming from Ross. House money bitches.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    TTJ said:

By my rough tally, seven true frosh have appeared in games so far this year:

Mathis
    Farria
    Ross
    Stringfellow
    Daniels
    Walker
    King

Ross has been worth two wins by himself, obviously. But is there any doubt in anybody's mind that UW would have the exact same record today if the other six had r

Sick of you new fish popping off all the time and without a clue. You have zero idea why any one particular RS is burned. Both parties decide to burn a shirt, unless you're Ty, or an emergency (see Reggie Reser ) But you wouldn't know anything about that as you just received your student tickets for the 1st year.

Learn a little about the game. Try dawgman, get your little feet wet and head on back

• I love how the biggest Doog in here always tells us how we don't know jack shit about the game, how we should post on Doogman when he was the only one saying Sark should be extended just two weeks ago.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Oh, did you see how well king played before he got dinged up? Did you see the depth at safety? Bend over and kiss your hairless asshole that we have quality redshirts to burn.
  • Oh, did you see how well king played before he got dinged up? Did you see the depth at safety? Bend over and kiss your hairless asshole that we have quality redshirts to burn.

Has King played when the game wasn't up or down by 21 points?

What about Stringfellow? He can't even beat out Hall apparently. Why was his redshirt wasted?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam

Oh, did you see how well king played before he got dinged up? Did you see the depth at safety? Bend over and kiss your hairless asshole that we have quality redshirts to burn.

Yeah King was instrumental in that riveting second half against Idaho State.

Just keep being the belligerent village idiot there Bubble Boy. Every village needs one.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    freshmen get dinged up because they're too small and weak. where the fuck are Dixon from the SEC and Brandon Beaver?