Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Baird not impressed

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2013

Boobs, what stat is that? Efficiency? And I don't care what the stats say, Tui was way better than Price. Do you really think we wouldn't have more wins with Tui instead of Price?

It's passing efficiency nationally by year. It's not a perfect stat, but it's by far the best single metric you can use to compare quarterbacks.

Here are some more numbers for those two side by side:
    YPA: Price 7.4, Tui 7.2 - EVEN
    TD/INT: Price 70/28 (in 1,094 passes), Tui 31/28 (in 761 passes) - HUGE edge for PRICE
    Rushing: Price is a career zero, Tui was worth about 400 yards per year. - SMALL edge for TUI

If you switched Tui and Price, I think UW could still have won the 2001 Rose Bowl with Price and I know Sark goes 7-6 with Tui every year. Price is underrated because he plays for a shitty coach with a mediocre defense and bad special teams.

If you like Tui over Price, you're a fan of the stupid "signature wins" argument. Quarterbacks are important in college, by they can't lead teams to Rose Bowls by themselves. Just ask yourself what would have happened if Price and Mariota switched jerseys a few weeks ago.
    I don't think Price is the problem. Sark is the problem, followed by the lines. I will say, there's no way Price takes the 2000 team to the Rose Bowl.

Here's why I think Price is an above average QB. If you switched him with Taylor Kelly or Kevin Hogan, I don't think we would be any worse, and those guys are average to above average QB's. With great teams around them, they can win, but they aren't anything special.

Completely disagree. If he was Stanford a team where he would actually have a pocket he would do well.

When has Price ever made a bad throw or bad play when he actually has time? Guy is always running for his life.

Also his WR's have been nothing special compared to other UW WR's. I would take Stevens over anyone that Price has ever played with. Stevens despite his drunken behavior and raping Co-Eds was an actual great pass catching TE unlike ASJ.

Huard also had a better WR in Pathon/Coleman. Pickett had Reggie/Frederick. Price had one year of Kearse, basically only one year of Kasen.

His stats speak for themselves. He's not average or "slightly" above average at all.
    Come on, Time. There's plenty of times he has had good protection and made bad throws. There were a few instances in the Arizona, Oregon, and ASU games. There were plenty of times in 2012 as well. He's not perfect, even when he has time. He's a streaky QB. When he gets in a groove, he can get hot and be really accurate. There are other times, when that is not the case.

It's hard to argue his stats, but was Timmy Chang an incredible QB? What about the Texas Tech QB's?

• Boobs, what stat is that? Efficiency? And I don't care what the stats say, Tui was way better than Price. Do you really think we wouldn't have more wins with Tui instead of Price?

It's passing efficiency nationally by year. It's not a perfect stat, but it's by far the best single metric you can use to compare quarterbacks.

TD/INT: Price 70/28 (in 1,094 passes), Tui 31/28 (in 761 passes) - HUGE edge for PRICE
    Rushing: Price is a career zero, Tui was worth about 400 yards per year. - SMALL edge for TUI

If you switched Tui and Price, I think UW could still have won the 2001 Rose Bowl with Price and I know Sark goes 7-6 with Tui every year. Price is underrated because he plays for a shitty coach with a mediocre defense and bad special teams.

If you like Tui over Price, you're a fan of the stupid "signature wins" argument. Quarterbacks are important in college, by they can't lead teams to Rose Bowls by themselves. Just ask yourself what would have happened if Price and Mariota switched jerseys a few weeks ago.
    I don't think Price is the problem. Sark is the problem, followed by the lines. I will say, there's no way Price takes the 2000 team to the Rose Bowl.

Here's why I think Price is an above average QB. If you switched him with Taylor Kelly or Kevin Hogan, I don't think we would be any worse, and those guys are average to above average QB's. With great teams around them, they can win, but they aren't anything special.

Completely disagree. If he was Stanford a team where he would actually have a pocket he would do well.

When has Price ever made a bad throw or bad play when he actually has time? Guy is always running for his life.

Also his WR's have been nothing special compared to other UW WR's. I would take Stevens over anyone that Price has ever played with. Stevens despite his drunken behavior and raping Co-Eds was an actual great pass catching TE unlike ASJ.

Huard also had a better WR in Pathon/Coleman. Pickett had Reggie/Frederick. Price had one year of Kearse, basically only one year of Kasen.

His stats speak for themselves. He's not average or "slightly" above average at all.
    Come on, Time. There's plenty of times he has had good protection and made bad throws. There were a few instances in the Arizona, Oregon, and ASU games. There were plenty of times in 2012 as well. He's not perfect, even when he has time. He's a streaky QB. When he gets in a groove, he can get hot and be really accurate. There are other times, when that is not the case.

It's hard to argue his stats, but was Timmy Chang an incredible QB? What about the Texas Tech QB's?

My point is he rarely has time. He's running for his life on numerous plays which has negatively affected him. To be fair I used this same excuse for Locker as I believed it.

Brock Huard was great in 1997 then he sucked in 1998. Why was that? Because Kruetz and Olson plus Cleeland had left the program as his primary blockers/weapons.

It all starts with the line. I can recognize that Price won't do shit in the NFL but I do think he'll earn an NFL pay check. I think Price is good enough to win a Rose Bowl but his head coach really let him down.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

Tequilla said:

If Price's game isn't the deep throw, and we know he can't complete the intermediate throw, then what the fuck is his game?

Price's yardage total was because he was playing Cal, not because he was fucking sharp last night. A lot of his throws were late and/or under thrown - fortunately for him Cal's defense is THAT FUCKING BAD.

He's UW's all-time TD leader, passer rating, completion % and 2nd all-time in yards.

He's a good QB, wish some of you idiots would realize this.
    The game has changed. QB's in general put up bigger numbers than they did in the past. Comparing QB's from today to guys from the 80's and 90's is not accurate. Price is an average to slightly above average QB. He's not as good as many of you on here think he is, and he's not as bad as doogs and Hugh think he is.

You have really been dooging it up lately with your Price bashing and Wilcox dick sucking.
    Wilcox's D has fallen off some, but I think it has more to do with Seven than Wilcox. He's a good (not great yet) DC. Price played bad against Oregon and even worse against ASU. Once again, he's not the problem, but it is what it is. I think he's the 4th through 6th best QB in the league, which is an above average QB. That's not really bashing.

It's not dooging. I hate Sark just as much as you guys. I just don't buy that Keith Price is a great QB. Sark is a fucking idiot AND our lines suck AND Price is not a great QB. Abundance mothafucka.

How in the FUCK can you say it is Sark's fault for Wilcox's failure ... but Price is what he is?

Sark owns coaching Price up and building a team around him.
    edited October 2013
    topdawgnc said:

Tequilla said:

If Price's game isn't the deep throw, and we know he can't complete the intermediate throw, then what the fuck is his game?

Price's yardage total was because he was playing Cal, not because he was fucking sharp last night. A lot of his throws were late and/or under thrown - fortunately for him Cal's defense is THAT FUCKING BAD.

He's UW's all-time TD leader, passer rating, completion % and 2nd all-time in yards.

He's a good QB, wish some of you idiots would realize this.
    The game has changed. QB's in general put up bigger numbers than they did in the past. Comparing QB's from today to guys from the 80's and 90's is not accurate. Price is an average to slightly above average QB. He's not as good as many of you on here think he is, and he's not as bad as doogs and Hugh think he is.

You have really been dooging it up lately with your Price bashing and Wilcox dick sucking.
    Wilcox's D has fallen off some, but I think it has more to do with Seven than Wilcox. He's a good (not great yet) DC. Price played bad against Oregon and even worse against ASU. Once again, he's not the problem, but it is what it is. I think he's the 4th through 6th best QB in the league, which is an above average QB. That's not really bashing.

It's not dooging. I hate Sark just as much as you guys. I just don't buy that Keith Price is a great QB. Sark is a fucking idiot AND our lines suck AND Price is not a great QB. Abundance mothafucka.

How in the FUCK can you say it is Sark's fault for Wilcox's failure ... but Price is what he is?

Sark owns coaching Price up and building a team around him.
    Price's regression from 2011 until now falls on Sark. Players getting worse is typically a sign of bad coaching, which Price has gotten. It's Sark's job to fix Price's bad habits that he developed last year from getting hit so much from a turnstile OL.

My point about Price is, if you are going to call him a great QB, Taylor Kelly is a great QB as well. I've yet to see anyone say Kelly is a great QB, because he's not. I don't think Price sucks, and it's bullshit when guys like Millen and doogs give him very little to no credit when he does well, but he has shit the bed plenty of times. This program is full of frontrunners (and this falls on Sark). They beat up on patsies and play like shit any time they play good teams and they need to be at their best.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/504700/taylor-kelly
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/482599/keith-price

• Dawgs4everDawgs4ever Member Posts: 170

Kasen wouldn't have been hurt if a white QB was throwing to him.

Probably true. Jack would've overthrown him by 10 yards.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Washington hasn't had a great quarterback in at least 25 years.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

I'd argue Tui but other than that there's nothing
    dhdawg said:

Tui was only an average passer nationally. He gets a ton of credit for signature wins.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    And people say there isn't football talk here.....

dhdawg said:

Tui was only an average passer nationally. He gets a ton of credit for signature wins.
    His passing stats were pedestrian, but he also had pretty bad WR's. He also was a threat on the ground, and had a 300, 200 game. Add that to his intangibles. Tui raised the play of the players around him, and it may be cliché, but he's about the best leader this program has ever had. I know there are some debates about his comeback wins because he did have some games where he sucked for three quarters, but would lead a dramatic comeback, but you have to at least give him some credit for being clutch. Great players raise their games when it counts the most, and Tui did that.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Boobs, what stat is that? Efficiency? And I don't care what the stats say, Tui was way better than Price. Do you really think we wouldn't have more wins with Tui instead of Price?

Tui > Price

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,049 Standard Supporter
    Tui's team typically did not throw the ball inside the 20 much and almost never inside the 10. Criticize the INT's but his total TD passes was lower for this compared to most other qb's.

dhdawg said:

His passing stats were pedestrian, but he also had pretty bad WR's. He also was a threat on the ground, and had a 300, 200 game. Add that to his intangibles. Tui raised the play of the players around him, and it may be cliché, but he's about the best leader this program has ever had. I know there are some debates about his comeback wins because he did have some games where he sucked for three quarters, but would lead a dramatic comeback, but you have to at least give him some credit for being clutch. Great players raise their games when it counts the most, and Tui did that.

We all loved the 300/200 game. That game also accounted for 15% of his entire career rushing yards. He only rushed for 1,374 yards in his career at 4.0 YPC. It's a nice boost to his resume, but it doesn't outweigh the vast passing gulf between Price and Tui IMO.

Tui's intangibles were great. I just can't measure them. Following your line of reasoning, Tim Tebow was a great quarterback with the Broncos.
  • I'd take Tui over Price but there is some serious revisionist history on Tui.

He had a lot of comebacks because he shit the bed first three quarters.

He was a gambler. He'd made spectacular plays but also make terrible turnovers at the worst time(Miami and Rose Bowl).

Tui is awesome but I feel like the younger crowd who only saw his highlights tend to overrate him a tad.

Him and Hobert IMO best 2 QB's last 30 years followed by Price.

dhdawg said:

We all loved the 300/200 game. That game also accounted for 15% of his entire career rushing yards. He only rushed for 1,374 yards in his career at 4.0 YPC. It's a nice boost to his resume, but it doesn't outweigh the vast passing gulf between Price and Tui IMO.

Tui's intangibles were great. I just can't measure them. Following your line of reasoning, Tim Tebow was a great quarterback with the Broncos.
    1,374 to 19 yards (Price's total) is a pretty big discrepancy. Using Tim Tebow to try and boost your FS argument that Price is better than Tui is some serious bench pressing.

dhdawg said:

1,374 to 19 yards (Price's total) is a pretty big discrepancy. Using Tim Tebow to try and boost your FS argument that Price is better than Tui is some serious bench pressing.

Add that to his intangibles. Tui raised the play of the players around him, and it may be cliché, but he's about the best leader this program has ever had. I know there are some debates about his comeback wins because he did have some games where he sucked for three quarters, but would lead a dramatic comeback, but you have to at least give him some credit for being clutch. Great players raise their games when it counts the most, and Tui did that.

Replace Tui with Tebow and you've just described the 2011 Broncos. Tebow raised the play of the players around him (especially the defense). He was an awesome leader on that team and he led a lot of comeback wins after sucking for three quarters.

You're the one making the Tebow argument for Tui here, not me.
  • No offense Road Dawg but you were what? 12 years old during Tui's senior year?

Tui had a lot of comebacks because he would suck first three quarters. Remember most of these great comebacks were against teams UW should have been killing.

Again I'd take Tui over Price but it's closer than you think.
    edited October 2013

No offense Road Dawg but you were what? 12 years old during Tui's senior year?

Tui had a lot of comebacks because he would suck first three quarters. Remember most of these great comebacks were against teams UW should have been killing.

Close, I was 13. Price vs Brock Huard or Price vs Pickett is a good argument. Price vs. Tui was not. Tui led a team with 8,9 win talent to 11-1.

• That 11-1 team was pick unanimously to win the conference though.

You are underestimating the talent

No offense Road Dawg but you were what? 12 years old during Tui's senior year?

Close, I was 13. Price vs Brock Huard or Price vs Pickett is a good argument. Price vs. Tui was not. Tui led a team with 8,9 win talent to 11-1.

Washington was 14th in the country in rushing offense in 2000 and 78th in the country in passing offense.

http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/cfbteams.php?year=2000&team=Washington

Tui was third on the team with 394 rushing yards at 3.1 yards per carry (no idea how much negative sack yardage he took).

But by all means give the credit to the quarterback for the overachievement.