Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Official Ken Burn's Vietnam War Thread

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,024 Founders Club

PBS? Can you sound anymore old, rich, and white?

Yes, yes I could...

king.org/listen/
    I was listening to Rachmaninoff "Rhapsody on Theme of Paganini" last night on the turntable last night. Arthur Rubenstein on piano. Fucking fantastic!
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter

Yes, yes I could...

king.org/listen/
    I was listening to Rachmaninoff "Rhapsody on Theme of Paganini" last night on the turntable last night. Arthur Rubenstein on piano. Fucking fantastic!
    Classy AF

Yes, yes I could...

king.org/listen/
    Classy AF
    Damn I'm smooth. So much wood.
  • JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 2,039
    The strategy from the very beginning was totally fucking stupid and DOOMED us throughout.

Wonder if things would have been any different if JFK never dies. Probably not but whatever

Give Ken Burns all the awards
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club

The strategy from the very beginning was totally fucking stupid and DOOMED us throughout.

Wonder if things would have been any different if JFK never dies. Probably not but whatever

Give Ken Burns all the awards

JFK was a cold warrior and anti communist. He would have been in the same trap as LBJ I think

Interesting that JFK was killed weeks after he green lit the coup that killed the SV leaders
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited September 2017
    I like WW 2 history. Clear cut cases of good (or less evil) vs evil. Don't give a shit about Vietnam or 60's history. At all. The villains were all lame. No Hitlers, Stalins or Tojos.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,667 Standard Supporter
    I am a vietnam era vet and want absolutely nothing to do with any programs about nam. I was fortunate to go to Europe where I defended your asses by consuming as much German bier and wine as possible so that poison would not be shipped to the states. Where I was lucky, I saw too many nam vets lose it when news of being sent back, a door slamming, or getting too high made them break down in tears. I didn't go but too many people I know did. Thank God I didn't qualify with a rifle in boot camp with good scores.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,344 Swaye's Wigwam

I'm up to date. Have some thoughts when I have the time

You weren't there?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Did we win yet?
    edited September 2017
    HuskyJW said:

You weren't there?
    Race was too young to be in the shit. Shocking I know.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

HuskyJW said:

You weren't there?
    Race was too old to be in the shit. Shocking I know.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    dflea said:

I like WW 2 history. Clear cut cases of good (or less evil) vs evil. Don't give a shit about Vietnam or 60's history. At all. The villains were all lame. No Hitlers, Stalins or Tojos.

Nobody gives a shit about you, either, junior.

At all.
    This is as accurately told as anything Ken Burns has produced.
    Mosster47 said:

I like the WW2 as well because my grandpa was in it and there was unconditional surrender, which means victory.

I didn't like Vietnam because all of the vets I knew growing up, which were a lot didn't have a lot of pride in their service and the general public viewed their service as a waste.

I joined the military in the summer of 2001 and got out in June. I spent my entire career at war against a word, that morphed into a war against a religion, that morphed into war against a region. It wasn't winnable when we started and it won't be when we finally give up. The net positive is the loss of American lives were much less than Vietnam. I had a hand in some of the projects that ensured a lot of kids made it home in one piece that probably wouldn't have if things continued the way they started after "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" with that stuttering dipshit on an aircraft carrier in a rented flight suit.

My sons will have their fight just like I did. The easy money says North Korea, but who knows.
    Mission Accomplished was arguably the worst publicity stunt in modern times by a president. The fuck were they thinking.