Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Official Ken Burn's Vietnam War Thread

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Anyone started watching this yet on PBS? I am through the first 2 episodes (through Kennedy administration). I highly recommend. It might even be better than the Civil War so far which is saying a lot. The interviews are outstanding, especially with the ex Viet Cong and NVA guys. I've definitely been picking up a few tidbits of which I was previously not aware.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I'm too upset about those colored boys kneeling during a song to care about any of this!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm up to date. Have some thoughts when I have the time
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,846
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

dnc said:

I'm too upset about those colored boys kneeling during a song to care about any of this!

Spoiler Alert: The Buddhist monks in South Vietnam were tuffer protesters than the NFL players.
    Pics or it's a lie.
  • Options

dnc said:

Spoiler Alert: The Buddhist monks in South Vietnam were tuffer protesters than the NFL players.
    So you're saying Kaep should DIAFF?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

dnc said:

Pics or it's a lie.
    I don't post pics of jumpers or dudes on fire; it's not for me.
  • Options

pawz said:

dnc said:

Pics or it's a lie.
    @ApostleofGrief thanks you for your service
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

So you're saying Kaep should DIAFF?
    He should figure out a more productive way to make a difference. Doesn't have to be DIAFF. Maybe be more like Marshawn or something and try to change actual lives.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If Truman would have been delivered the memo from Ho-Chi Minh, it's very possible that there would have been no wa...,er uh conflict.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

salemcoog said:

If Truman would have been delivered the memo from Ho-Chi Minh, it's very possible that there would have been no wa...,er uh conflict.

Fucking French Republic - they fuck every thing up! Note - it was the Kingdom of France, not the Republic, that helped us win our independence, so there's no hypocrisy in my statement.
    Damn straight. I've only watched the first episode "Déjà Vu", and it never ceases to amaze me the devastating ripple effects colonialism had on human history.

Like Race I'll comment more when I have more time. I will say though it's excellent, but a very difficult watch.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

pawz said:

dnc said:

Pics or it's a lie.
    I do.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

salemcoog said:

Fucking French Republic - they fuck every thing up! Note - it was the Kingdom of France, not the Republic, that helped us win our independence, so there's no hypocrisy in my statement.
    What about the War of 1812, tough guy? Ok, that was the Empire, but it was run on more or less Republican principles except Napoleon was in charge.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

salemcoog said:

What about the War of 1812, tough guy? Ok, that was the Empire, but it was run on more or less Republican principles except Napoleon was in charge.
    You should be court marshaled for bringing this weak ass shit up in here. No French Revolution, no War of 1812- 15.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

pawz said:

dnc said:

Pics or it's a lie.
    I do.
    And in full color to boot. Dark colorful shit man.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

AZDuck said:

salemcoog said:

You should be court marshaled for bringing this weak ass shit up in here. No French Revolution, no War of 1812- 15.
    that was a TOUGH Canadian Army
    Also I never said there wouldn't have been another war at some point to invade Canada. Hell I still think we should absorb all on Canada from Ontario west into the Union. It is our destiny to do so.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946
    edited September 2017

PBS? Can you sound anymore old, rich, and white?

NPR