Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Rutgers Perspective - Overreacting is HARD

Comments

• DodgyBlokeDodgyBloke Member Posts: 957
    If we don't have to settle for 2 fgs in the redone then its basically the same score as last year. The upside in my opinion is that we actually played that poorly and lethargic and still came away with a W on the road. Im glad they struggled it will wake the boys up a little bit. But I also agree with how Peterman put it there were a lot of new guys playing and they were overthinking and making the moment to big so they played tight. Last year they were all playing loose, trash talking, great energy feeding from each other, flying around and having fun. They will come back next week and play the way we expect them to even if it is against Montana. But we are 1-0. To many people on this board sound like the spoiled duck fans 2 years ago expecting us to beat every team we play 100-0 and have 12 INTs and all you guys can blow huge loads together in your circle jerk watching the highlights, let them play, let peterman coach we gon be alright
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    whuggy said:

Some good dick swinging going on early in this thread.
    Should be interesting to see where this goes. Or not.

I'm going with "not".
  • Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    HuskyJW said:

I agree people have been overreacting but just comparing the stats of the two games doesn't show the entire picture. Last years game was over by half time and scrubs played the entire second half basically. This years game our starters played longer and we didn't put the game out of reach until the 4th quarter.

Starters weren't on there longer

Holy fuckall.... we have second stringers in on the second possession. That's what he does he plays backups early in the year.
    Yea Pete likes to rotate guys in the preseason, that doesn't mean our starters didn't play longer into the game this year versus last year.
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732
    edited September 2017
    The day this board stops overreacting to any and every thing is the day it's time to hop off the bandwagon, IMO.
  • CoogieDelightCoogieDelight Member Posts: 3
    Come on tequilla we all know you are biggest apologist on this board but you cant watch last years game and this years game and think all is right in Huskyville. Im sure you made a mint betting the spread here. Secondary looks decent but that Line play onboth sides left a lot to be desired.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,377 Founders Club
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

2017 Offensive Game Stats:

24 carries for 84 yards = 3.5 yards per carry
    17 of 30 for 284 yards = 9.5 yards per attempt and 16.7 yards per completion
    54 total offensive plays for 368 yards = 6.8 yards per offensive play
    30 total points (7 from special teams) = 8.2 points per 100 yards of offense
    0 turnovers

2016 Offensive Game Stats:

30 carries for 91 yards = 3.0 yards per carry
    20 of 29 for 289 yards = 10.0 yards per attempt and 14.5 yards per completion
    59 offensive plays for 380 yards = 6.4 yards per offensive play
    48 total points (14 from special teams) = 12.6 points per 100 yards of offense
    1 turnover

2017 Defensive Game Stats:

42 carries for 131 yards = 3.1 yards per carry
    24 for 35 for 178 yards = 5.1 yards per attempt and 7.4 yards per completion
    77 defensive plays for 309 yards = 4.0 yards per defensive play
    14 total points allowed = 4.5 yards per 100 yards allowed
    2 turnovers = 1 turnover for every 38.5 defensive plays

2016 Defensive Game Stats:

48 carries for 136 yards = 2.8 yards per carry
    24 of 40 for 168 yards = 4.2 yards per attempt and 7.0 yards per completion
    88 defensive plays for 304 yards = 3.5 yards per defensive play
    13 total points allowed = 4.3 yards per 100 yards allowed
    3 turnovers = 1 turnover for every 29 defensive plays

They are basically the same game and the same stats ... Rutgers is a little better than they were last year ... one was at home and one was on the road.

Perspective is obviously hard ...

Solid Doogman take.
    You mean like the Oregon State game? ;)
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,377 Founders Club

Mad_Son said:

Tequilla said:

Mad_Son said:

like I've said multiple times that this was the same as last year (especially about the ol) but I'm not sure stats dump is the way to prove that. 99% of people already understand this and the 1% who don't aren't going to be swayed by a post like this

The thing is that the reason you look at it over a larger sample size is because things tend to even out ...

I don't necessarily disagree that we should have higher expectations, etc., but the reality is that this game, and our next two games, will all be vanilla in spots and our priorities aren't to go boat race each of these overmatched teams.

If that's the standard that most have then they will be bound to be disappointed.

The thing that bothers me is how we used Gaskin. Our first series should have featured him as our number one running back. The point of these games is practice for conference play and we need to simulate some real play. Having Gaskin run the ball late isn't the same. I suspect this concept bothers some people even if they haven't said it.

Like we all recognize we haven't opened up the full playbook, etc and I don't think most people have am issue with that. The real issue to me is how Jonathan Smith calls really stupid things, not that in week 1 we aren't executing perfectly.
    This. This. Fucking this. Like most wimps (Willingham comes to mind), pussy coaches see a running play for a short gain and immediately call for a pass, instead of having confidence that a missed block will be made on the next play. When something doesn't work right, Smiff switches to an even more complicated play, hoping to deceive defenses, whom lick their chops and laugh, knowing his pass-first preferences and tendencies. First drive of the game was classic Smiff. With two All-American quality RBs on his offense. Fuck that fucking loser. If we lose any games at all this year, it will be his fault.
    this post would earn you a nice little time out on Doogman
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Come on tequilla we all know you are biggest apologist on this board but you cant watch last years game and this years game and think all is right in Huskyville. Im sure you made a mint betting the spread here. Secondary looks decent but that Line play onboth sides left a lot to be desired.

Hi beelzebub!
    Too grammatically correct
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

It's Game #1 of the year ... check back with me in a couple of weeks

How have those 1st games gone for the Cougs during the Leach era? I'm thinking there's been a bit of growth from Week 1 through the rest of the season
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,793
    I'm really glad this thread is still going not.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    AZDuck said:

Mad_Son said:

Tequilla said:

Mad_Son said:

like I've said multiple times that this was the same as last year (especially about the ol) but I'm not sure stats dump is the way to prove that. 99% of people already understand this and the 1% who don't aren't going to be swayed by a post like this

The thing is that the reason you look at it over a larger sample size is because things tend to even out ...

I don't necessarily disagree that we should have higher expectations, etc., but the reality is that this game, and our next two games, will all be vanilla in spots and our priorities aren't to go boat race each of these overmatched teams.

If that's the standard that most have then they will be bound to be disappointed.

The thing that bothers me is how we used Gaskin. Our first series should have featured him as our number one running back. The point of these games is practice for conference play and we need to simulate some real play. Having Gaskin run the ball late isn't the same. I suspect this concept bothers some people even if they haven't said it.

Like we all recognize we haven't opened up the full playbook, etc and I don't think most people have am issue with that. The real issue to me is how Jonathan Smith calls really stupid things, not that in week 1 we aren't executing perfectly.
    This. This. Fucking this. Like most wimps (Willingham comes to mind), pussy coaches see a running play for a short gain and immediately call for a pass, instead of having confidence that a missed block will be made on the next play. When something doesn't work right, Smiff switches to an even more complicated play, hoping to deceive defenses, whom lick their chops and laugh, knowing his pass-first preferences and tendencies. First drive of the game was classic Smiff. With two All-American quality RBs on his offense. Fuck that fucking loser. If we lose any games at all this year, it will be his fault.
    this post would earn you a nice little time out on Doogman
    What would earn you a nice little timeout here?

Easily the best episode of Kitchen Nightmares. That bitch was the worst.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club

Hi beelzebub!
    Are you fucking serious?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    The real perspective is that we came out and played like shit. It was 10-7 at half. We didn't score a TD in the first half. In the second half we played better and won rather easily.

I'm not panicked, but the game was nothing like last year's where we had the plunger out in the first quarter.
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,876 Standard Supporter

The real perspective is that we came out and played like shit. It was 10-7 at half. We didn't score a TD in the first half. In the second half we played better and won rather easily.

I'm not panicked, but the game was nothing like last year's where we had the plunger out in the first quarter.

It was what happens when an over-confident Husky team meets a much improved team than last year's Rutgers D3 squad. It was disappointing, but really not that surprising.