Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Rutgers Perspective - Overreacting is HARD

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    salemcoog said:

Tequilla said:

2017 Offensive Game Stats:

24 carries for 84 yards = 3.5 yards per carry
    17 of 30 for 284 yards = 9.5 yards per attempt and 16.7 yards per completion
    54 total offensive plays for 368 yards = 6.8 yards per offensive play
    30 total points (7 from special teams) = 8.2 points per 100 yards of offense
    0 turnovers

2016 Offensive Game Stats:

30 carries for 91 yards = 3.0 yards per carry
    20 of 29 for 289 yards = 10.0 yards per attempt and 14.5 yards per completion
    59 offensive plays for 380 yards = 6.4 yards per offensive play
    48 total points (14 from special teams) = 12.6 points per 100 yards of offense
    1 turnover

2017 Defensive Game Stats:

42 carries for 131 yards = 3.1 yards per carry
    24 for 35 for 178 yards = 5.1 yards per attempt and 7.4 yards per completion
    77 defensive plays for 309 yards = 4.0 yards per defensive play
    14 total points allowed = 4.5 yards per 100 yards allowed
    2 turnovers = 1 turnover for every 38.5 defensive plays

2016 Defensive Game Stats:

48 carries for 136 yards = 2.8 yards per carry
    24 of 40 for 168 yards = 4.2 yards per attempt and 7.0 yards per completion
    88 defensive plays for 304 yards = 3.5 yards per defensive play
    13 total points allowed = 4.3 yards per 100 yards allowed
    3 turnovers = 1 turnover for every 29 defensive plays

They are basically the same game and the same stats ... Rutgers is a little better than they were last year ... one was at home and one was on the road.

Perspective is obviously hard ...

If you were to go by stats then the Pac 12 is the best conference in the country. But if you watch the games you know that isn't close to true. You can post perspective stats all day. But last years game was over in the 1st quarter. And this years game you trailed almost the whole first half and looked like dawgshit doing it. Sure a W's a W and you can spin your stats however you want, but you guys looked like shit for 2 quarters against the Oregon State of the Big 10.

So what I'm hearing is that if you switch the halves around then everything makes a lot more sense ... got it
    Mad_Son said:

like I've said multiple times that this was the same as last year (especially about the ol) but I'm not sure stats dump is the way to prove that. 99% of people already understand this and the 1% who don't aren't going to be swayed by a post like this

The thing is that the reason you look at it over a larger sample size is because things tend to even out ...

I don't necessarily disagree that we should have higher expectations, etc., but the reality is that this game, and our next two games, will all be vanilla in spots and our priorities aren't to go boat race each of these overmatched teams.

If that's the standard that most have then they will be bound to be disappointed.

Sounds like I hit a nerve with @haie for his stupidity in a deleted thread ...
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,168
    Tequilla said:

Mad_Son said:

like I've said multiple times that this was the same as last year (especially about the ol) but I'm not sure stats dump is the way to prove that. 99% of people already understand this and the 1% who don't aren't going to be swayed by a post like this

The thing is that the reason you look at it over a larger sample size is because things tend to even out ...

I don't necessarily disagree that we should have higher expectations, etc., but the reality is that this game, and our next two games, will all be vanilla in spots and our priorities aren't to go boat race each of these overmatched teams.

If that's the standard that most have then they will be bound to be disappointed.

The thing that bothers me is how we used Gaskin. Our first series should have featured him as our number one running back. The point of these games is practice for conference play and we need to simulate some real play. Having Gaskin run the ball late isn't the same. I suspect this concept bothers some people even if they haven't said it.

Like we all recognize we haven't opened up the full playbook, etc and I don't think most people have am issue with that. The real issue to me is how Jonathan Smith calls really stupid things, not that in week 1 we aren't executing perfectly.
  • GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    Haters are mad because they weren't shocked and awed this year.
    @Mad_Son

If you were trying to work/develop areas of our offense in the preseason, where would you focus?
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

@Mad_Son

If you were trying to work/develop areas of our offense in the preseason, where would you focus?

On watching more film.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,168
    Tequilla said:

@Mad_Son

I'd make sure all of your ones get live snaps together first and foremost. I'd focus on putting up some points with the ones to make sure they get the experience that you can't get in practice. After that (1Q likely) it is giving OL bonding time and getting experience to the rest of the team, evaluating who can handle the pressure of games vs practice, etc.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    Yeah, but if we aren't going to talk about how shitty our white LBers are then I want my money back.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited September 2017
    Swaye said:

Yeah, but if we aren't going to talk about how white our LBers are then I want my money back.

shitty is already implied in the white
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,156
    What's with all the football talk?
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,336 Swaye's Wigwam

I agree people have been overreacting but just comparing the stats of the two games doesn't show the entire picture. Last years game was over by half time and scrubs played the entire second half basically. This years game our starters played longer and we didn't put the game out of reach until the 4th quarter.

Starters weren't on there longer

Holy fuckall.... we have second stringers in on the second possession. That's what he does he plays backups early in the year.