Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Better, Worse, or Even Offense

HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
edited August 2017 in Hardcore Husky Board
Things have been busy, after last season ended I spent too much time in Mexico banging @Swaye's spirit finger's other boyfriends and ran out of money south of the border. It has been a long journey back but I am tanned ready and rested for another 7-6 season from our fightin Huskie Dogs.

If you are wondering "who the fuck are you?" fuck off. I have been fighting the fight since before @RaceBannon had minions and before @Idawg became @SepukuDawg. I was passed up narrowly by @ThomasFremont for title of HHBIntern and forced instead to get real world experiences cutting cocaine in Las Vegas during the Summers. I remember when @Tequilla poasted his gloves off rant and I remember when Little Jimmy Cornell was kicked from practice and taken under Race's wing and I remember when @jecornel was a little bitch and tried to take @RoadDawg55 down with him.

I dont know shit about recruiting other than the fact that @CokeGreaterThanPepsi is a teen boy stalking fag and has all the info.

In the hopes that we can buck the faggy Seinfeld discussion trend started by @puppylove_sugarsteel I thought I would queef out some bullshit that I made up about UW Football.

QB: Better, Jack Browning is never going to have a cannon of an arm, but he is a little sniveling shit talking white guy that likes to win and is smart enough to make the throws the offense needs him too. He will never be amazing but he is good enough to win within the system, another year and a repaired shoulder should provide at least some marginal improvement.

RB: Better , Gaskins and Coleman should continue to improve. Coleman actually looked pretty good at times last year and provides good power to Gaskins shiftiness. Depth improves and hard to imagine they don't get better during the offseason.

OL: Better, Harris starting last year as a true freshman should never happen, but he played just fine. The OT's play pretty well too. The unit didn't really lose anyone worth mentioning so depth will be the only thing holding the unit back.

TE: Even, Do we even use a TE? Drew Sample, Will Dissly, (Amajew??) Who gives a fuck.

WR: Worse, Key loss of John Ross will not easily be replaced, Ross required a double team nearly every play. Pettis and Rookie man meat Ty Jones will look to fill the gap as much as possible, but this unit will undoubtedly take a step back. Mcclatcher is a gimmick player and Aaron Fuller and Andre Bacille aren't worth much more than space holders. The WR corp is going to have to have someone surprisingly improve to not be very close to a dumpster fire.

Offense Overall: Better

The loss of Ross is going to have a massive effect on the Offense. We will see opponent's defenses playing closer to the line of scrimmage this year. The OL will need to be able to impose its' will on the defense at times and run straight ahead. Browning will need to be more accurate with less vertical space on the field. The offense will have to figure out how to use the TE as more than just an extra OL.

The experience and talent on the OL, RB, and QB provides a strong base for UW to have a good offense but we are still going to need someone not mentioned to surprise us with their play to be Elite on offense.

The main handicap for the offense is still going to be Jonathan Smith. Ross won't be there to bail him or Browning out anymore but the Offense should improve with better play from the QB, OL, and RBs. Im sure Smith knows this and is thinking up 150 different plays each with 3 different combinations of pre snap motions right now.

Hardy Har Har TLDR: Offense should get slightly better, it could be elite if someone not expected steps up in the WR corps.

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club
    Welcome back. Did you save any of the blow you cut up in Vegas?
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Decent chit. I think TE & WR will be better on whole.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,943 Founders Club

Agree with Splitskin on WR/TE. I think Pettis is going to have a great year and someone like a Lenius, for example, might surprise. Wasn't Salvon making some waves this in fall camp this year in the Chico position? Ultimately, I think it's a matter that we have a enough talent competing for playing time that the WR core won't disappoint. Ross was Yuge for us last year, but he was just 1 guy. I'm Doogish on the offense.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    Swaye said:

Welcome back. Did you save any of the blow you cut up in Vegas?

Saved, no. But, there is always a teener or two laying around somewhere
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537

I mean it wouldnt be hard to TE to improve since it was basically a non factor all last year but we dont really have anyone new stepping into the role, so any improvement will have to come from scheme change.

I dont see how WR could possibly improve, I think Pettis has pretty much maxed out his abilities and while Ty Jones might be good he isnt going to be Ross good.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,943 Founders Club
    Houhusky said:

Agree with Splitskin on WR/TE. I think Pettis is going to have a great year and someone like a Lenius, for example, might surprise. Wasn't Salvon making some waves this in fall camp this year in the Chico position? Ultimately, I think it's a matter that we have a enough talent competing for playing time that the WR core won't disappoint. Ross was Yuge for us last year, but he was just 1 guy. I'm Doogish on the offense.
    Lenius is a massive pussy and has been passed by dumpster fire tier WRs like Baccellia and Pounds... Is he even on the team anymore?

Little Chico and Salvon fill the same gadget role but any impact they have is pretty limited by the nature of their useage. A fly sweep or WR screen isnt going to make this offense any better or replace Ross
    I thought the scuttlebutt form the off season was that in spite of being a puss, Lenius might actually not be worthless. I could be totally off the mark here, but thought I saw commentary to this a/effect.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club

I will save DDY a post:

QB: Worse: I don't know how anyone thinks we will complete a pass

RB: Worse: I don't know how anyone thinks we will cross the line of scrimmage

OL: Worse: I don't know how anyone thinks we will block anyone

TE/WR: Worse: I don't know how anyone thinks we will catch a pass

Offense Overall: Worse. We are going to suck.

So basically we're scoring 4 (2 safeties) every game?
    Yep. This thread is a wrap.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851

BearsWiin said:

Houhusky said:

Hardy Har Har TLDR: Offense should get slightly better, it could be elite if someone not expected steps up in the WR corps.

That's good, because it was nothing special needs last year

You? also lost zombiepuppetmaster Tedford

The Cal fans didn't appreciate my maniacal laughter as that play unfolded over several minutes waiting for the Browning duck to fall from the sky
    Of course you were there!
    First one since 2007
    I knew you witnessed the beginning.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam
    They're trying to find someone to stretch the field. Bushka is too in love with the longish pass to not focus on that.

Candidates:

Lenius...you don't have to be a burner to be a good long ball threat of you see single coverage a lot and are big.

Baccellia (sp?)...apparently our fastest receiver now from the team combine thing

Ty Jones...see Lenius

Alex Cook..long shot as he hasn't had much mention in reports. He is big, however, and (I believe) faster than Jones.

Black beast...Bryant could sneak in there and burn defenses from time to time

Salvon Ahmed...Almost certainly our fastest player, incredible shape and physical readiness, and the coaches obviously love him already.

Verdict...long ball threat by committee. There's obviously no Ross, but it isn't necessary to have a guy that everyone knows is going deep that can burn them and pull it off anyways. You get favorable alignments, matchups, and situations and guys will get open down the field.

The other verdict...yes the offense should go from decent to good due to maturation on the ol and at QB, plus more options outside.