Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Johnny Wilson, 2020 5* WR, Calabasas, CA (Offered 7/14/17)

Comments

• Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

Okay, all this bullshit caused me to go watch his film. Think we can split the difference here. I like him but I don’t love him. Certainly can help a team, but for us, might rather have Roman Wilson than Johnny Wilson. We’ve got the big guys that aren’t real sudden. I’d prefer the speed.

Lol. S/O to the Oprea Singer Mr.4.3!

Because a 6”6 guys running a 4.59 as a junior is definitely not fast enough.
    Fast enough for what?

Difference is that Baccellia is maybe 5-10, 170, while Roman Wilson is probably going to play at exactly the size Dante Pettis was, 6-1, 185. With the same kind of quick breaks as Dante. You don't want another Dante Pettis?

Back to my original question. Fast enough for what? Because we're not measuring total overall athleticism. I would agree with you that a 220-lb. athlete running 4.59 might be more impressive than a 170-lb. guy running 4.45. But at the end of the day the 4.59 guy is still not outrunning any CBs. And honestly doesn't really leverage much threat of the go route. So he's a jump ball guy. I'd generally rather have the guy that gets open.

Last 10 years I checked guys 6-2+, 215+, 4.55 or slower. Basically three guys with any success (NFL): Allen Robinson (great), Devin Funchess (decent), Kelvin Benjamin (fine for one year, then bad).
    This is college. Who the hell cares if it doesn’t translate to the nfl. He could be the next hakim butler. Plenty of big wrs do well in college. They are rare so it’s not a big sample size. Get Wilson and let him beast on small defensive backs. I hate this bored.
    Actually, there are also not many guys with his height/weight/speed who "beasted" on DBs in college, either. Again, last 10 years there have been just a handful. Hakeem Butler ran a 4.48, electronically timed on the slow track at Indy. Was Wilson's 4.59 hand-timed? If so, we're getting into Da'Runnya Wilson territory.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Lol the opening is lasered timed.

Wilson ran like a 4.8 and was still a monster in college.
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615

Lol the opening is lasered timed.

Wilson ran like a 4.8 and was still a monster in college.

Thanks for the info.

Disagree on his being a “monster “. His best year had 1 more catch and 30 more yards than Fuller had last year . A handful more touchdowns though because obviously his big body worked well in the red zone
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,037
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited May 2019

I think it’s pretty funny that Oregon sells WR’s on their usage in the offense as if they haven’t asked their receivers to run the same 4 routes since the end of Belotti. First hand, I know Dillon Mitchell wasn’t happy about his role/development and that’s while playing with a talent like Herbert and plenty of specific formations to get him open as the first read. I wouldn’t be happy either if I was a legit 6’1 at the combine, ran a 4.4, had good film against Cal, UDUB, & Utah, and still got taken in the 7th round.

First hand you're a fucking liar. First hand you're a fucking idiot.
    As if the Cristobal offense is JUST like what Kelly and Slingblade ran. Oh wait, it's the polar opposite? Mitchell was a headcase without any elite measureable, had one of the best statistical seasons in Oregon history, and will cash a few paychecks. Stupid fucking argument.

"Mitchell’s maturity and off-field work ethic were questioned by scouts before the draft, even with No. 2 wideout potential on talent alone. He’s a low-floor prospect with some upside."

"An NFL scout said Oregon WR Dillon Mitchell "has to grow up and take this serious."
    The scout continued, "It's not a secret over there. He doesn't put the time in." But that's not all. Mitchell reportedly doesn't listen to coaches either, which explains his inconsistencies on-field and why there were drives where Mitchell was completely off the field."

GTFO.

How about come to Oregon, where you can be a little bitch and still have a massive season, be an undersized pussy and still get drafted.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,973
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

Okay, all this bullshit caused me to go watch his film. Think we can split the difference here. I like him but I don’t love him. Certainly can help a team, but for us, might rather have Roman Wilson than Johnny Wilson. We’ve got the big guys that aren’t real sudden. I’d prefer the speed.

Fast enough for what?

Difference is that Baccellia is maybe 5-10, 170, while Roman Wilson is probably going to play at exactly the size Dante Pettis was, 6-1, 185. With the same kind of quick breaks as Dante. You don't want another Dante Pettis?

Back to my original question. Fast enough for what? Because we're not measuring total overall athleticism. I would agree with you that a 220-lb. athlete running 4.59 might be more impressive than a 170-lb. guy running 4.45. But at the end of the day the 4.59 guy is still not outrunning any CBs. And honestly doesn't really leverage much threat of the go route. So he's a jump ball guy. I'd generally rather have the guy that gets open.

Last 10 years I checked guys 6-2+, 215+, 4.55 or slower. Basically three guys with any success (NFL): Allen Robinson (great), Devin Funchess (decent), Kelvin Benjamin (fine for one year, then bad).
    This is college. Who the hell cares if it doesn’t translate to the nfl. He could be the next hakim butler. Plenty of big wrs do well in college. They are rare so it’s not a big sample size. Get Wilson and let him beast on small defensive backs. I hate this bored.
    Actually, there are also not many guys with his height/weight/speed who "beasted" on DBs in college, either. Again, last 10 years there have been just a handful. Hakeem Butler ran a 4.48, electronically timed on the slow track at Indy. Was Wilson's 4.59 hand-timed? If so, we're getting into Da'Runnya Wilson territory.
    Wilson looks like the prototypical usc wr that carrol had during his run. Just get him to sign and quit justifying why it's okay if he goes to Oregon.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019

RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

Fast enough for what?

I agree with you, but the point of message boards is opinions. Crunching numbers and comparing players to the NFL is FS. Some poster had some bulls hit about players running faster than 4.55 and being 215 plus. Mike Williams from Clemson was 218 and ran a 4.54. It’s selective bullshit. Clemson would have never beat Alabama in 2016 without him.

I actually agree with Ballz and think Wilson won’t ever do shit. The coaches agree and I don’t think they actually want him. They have moved on and found dudes that are better. He was the 3rd best WR on his high school team. Granted, the two dudes above him are/were 4 star recruits, but he’s not going to get drastically better. We’ll find out in a few years. We can crunch numbers and compare him to past players but that really has nothing to do with anything. He’s not that good.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

Fast enough for what?

I agree with you, but the point of message boards is opinions. Crunching numbers and comparing players to the NFL is FS. Some poster had some bulls hit about players running faster than 4.55 and being 215 plus. Mike Williams from Clemson was 218 and ran a 4.54. It’s selective bullshit. Clemson would have never beat Alabama in 2016 without him.

I actually agree with Ballz and think Wilson won’t ever do shit. The coaches agree and I don’t think they actually want him. They have moved on and found dudes that are better. He was the 3rd best WR on his high school team. Granted, the two dudes above him are/were 4 star recruits, but he’s not going to get drastically better. We’ll find out in a few years. We can crunch numbers and compare him to past players but that really has nothing to do with anything. He’s not that good.
    Cool. We?ll gladly take Wilson off yore hands the same way we did Delgado and Pittman.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

Fast enough for what?

Cool. We?ll gladly take Wilson off yore hands the same way we did Delgado and Pittman.
    Delgado should be good, still don’t understand why we didn’t accept his commitment. Pittman is going to be a bust
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

There ain't no catching up to be had. This is exactly what I already told you guys. It's not "lazy recruiting" when you don't really want the kid like that. This is what happens when you have a coaching staff that completely ignores star ratings and do their own evaluations. Sometimes they completely disagree with the ratings and prefer "3-star" kids (Rome Odunze and Sawyer Racanelli) over an overrated "5-star" kid. Wilson is Brayden Lenius 2.0. Don't know how many times I have to say that for it to sink in. He's not a great WR prospect. I don't care if he goes to Oregon or anywhere else. It's a win for us if a not so good WR or soft TE prospect goes to Oregon and further clogs up their roster. Move on. All I care about is the coaches getting who THEY want. Not who fan boys who don't know shit about football talent want. I get pissed when they whiff on guys they actually want. This isn't one of those instances.

Thank you Mrs. Peterson and all Trusting Coaches Doogs everywhere.
    It’s fine not to trust it and think we are blowing it by not recruiting Wilson harder. That said, I don’t think it’s because UW coaches are lazy. There is a reason.
    Alphas have alpha attitudes. Its why they are alphas. It doesn't mean they aren't team players its just they're confident. Now days they express it on social media. Pete shies away from those kids until they prove—if they prove— they are an "OKG"

• Options
    blackmambablackmamba Member Posts: 184
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    FirePete said:

RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

Fast enough for what?

Delgado should be good, still don’t understand why we didn’t accept his commitment. Pittman is going to be a bust
    Why do you think he is going to be a bust? On campus for a few weeks and leads all receivers in the spring game 7 catches 48yrds no drops...
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,151
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oh well the Spring game why didn't you say so?

Sounds like the defensive backs suck then
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705

Oh well the Spring game why didn't you say so?

Sounds like the defensive backs suck then

And 48 yards, lol.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,609
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

FirePete said:

RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

Fast enough for what?

Why do you think he is going to be a bust? On campus for a few weeks and leads all receivers in the spring game 7 catches 48yrds no drops...
    The original Sark, the UW one actually named Sark not the UO one bringing sizzle to eugene, also like to let scrubs star in the spring game.
  • Options
    PenacePenace Member Posts: 494
    I totally disagree re Pittman. I for one wanted him badly. I compared him to Steve Smith while he was being recruited. He is going to be very good. Delgado? Mheh
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    FirePete said:

RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

Fast enough for what?

Either Delgado and Pittman will be fine, or they won't. That's why you recruit Jaylon Redd and Isaah Crocker in front of them. And that's why you recruit Kris Hutson and Seven McGee behind them, and take Gary Bryant's commitment if he gives it you.

Saying yore Cristobal is 100% accurate about how an 18-year-old is going to turn out is the sign of a Bothell edumacation.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    If he commits,

FirePete said:

RealRhino said:

RealRhino said:

Fast enough for what?

Either Delgado and Pittman will be fine, or they won't. That's why you recruit Jaylon Redd and Isaah Crocker in front of them. And that's why you recruit Kris Hutson and Seven McGee behind them, and take Gary Bryant's commitment if he gives it you.

Saying yore Cristobal is 100% accurate about how an 18-year-old is going to turn out is the sign of a Bothell edumacation.
    Bellevue community college edumacation
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Wilson ran a laser sub 4.6 at 6’6” 220 and he catches the ball well. At minimum he’s a high floor player.

As far as Pittman, he has clamps for hands, runs good routes and is tough to tackles after the catch. Kid is a total alpha.