Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Maninoa Tufono, 4* LB 2019, Punahou HS, HI (Offered)

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Sources said:

Squirt said:

From the UT site
    Like we reported last week, Texas has been surging in this recruitment, and we have reason to believe the Longhorns are now in the pole position. UT will host Tufono for an official visit this fall/winter and with a big season, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Longhorns close the deal. I’m told Todd Orlando and Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties, have done a tremendous job recruiting Tufono and his family and that they have bought into the program.

Sounds like something Ektard would say. Unlike Ektard, at least this guy has the ballz to put in a CB and stand by his prediction.

LOL. Whenever these recruiting "insiders" say "I'm told" or "sources say," they're getting their info from the coaching staff. Otherwise, the article would include direct quotes from the recruit or his family. No recruit or family member insists on anonymity.

So basically Texas coaches Orlando and Langi are telling the UT recruiting site, "We're doing a tremendous job, our Poly ties are really paying off, and the PSA and his family are buying into the program, so we feel like we're in the pole position."

It's the same reason why the Doogman dudes were always telling their marks subscribers that Sark and Co. were killing it in recruiting and every PSA had a tremendous visit.
    Very presumptuous
    Get our QB out of your avatar Mosster!!
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

2 crystal balls to Texas. Sounds like we’re passing on Tufono as well

I’m afraid the coaches are feeling a little overconfident in themselves to land the players they think they can get.. And doesn’t help our HI/poly pipeline to go cold on a highly rated legacy, no matter how recruiting services vs their own evaluations stack up.
    Well, Heimuli did not include USC in his top 8 so I can see why the coaches are confident they can get him. Plus, if you have a pair of balls between your legs you wait for your top targets to make their decisions. We're in a new territory in which we're having to wait longer for a lot of commits because we're in on a lot of highly coveted prospects who will take their official visits and announce a decision closer to Signing Day. To us fans it's a bit daunting but to the coaches it's a part of the process of becoming elite. We have a team that should be really good and win most of their games again which will only help recruiting and make finishing with a boom likely.
    Its funny because this is exactly what Kim was saying when Sark's recruiting was nosediving in 2012.

It could be true or it could be that CP erred by slowplaying some of these kids.

I would feel more confident with a Ngata or Heimuli committed. As is the current class is of similar caliber to the 2017 class and a downgrade from 2018.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I’m afraid the coaches are feeling a little overconfident in themselves to land the players they think they can get.. And doesn’t help our HI/poly pipeline to go cold on a highly rated legacy, no matter how recruiting services vs their own evaluations stack up.
    Well, Heimuli did not include USC in his top 8 so I can see why the coaches are confident they can get him. Plus, if you have a pair of balls between your legs you wait for your top targets to make their decisions. We're in a new territory in which we're having to wait longer for a lot of commits because we're in on a lot of highly coveted prospects who will take their official visits and announce a decision closer to Signing Day. To us fans it's a bit daunting but to the coaches it's a part of the process of becoming elite. We have a team that should be really good and win most of their games again which will only help recruiting and make finishing with a boom likely.
    Its funny because this is exactly what Kim was saying when Sark's recruiting was nosediving in 2012.

It could be true or it could be that CP erred by slowplaying some of these kids.

I would feel more confident with a Ngata or Heimuli committed. As is the current class is of similar caliber to the 2017 class and a downgrade from 2018.
    The 2018 class wouldn't have become the class that it did if he hadn't slow played some kids and trusted the process and his staff to get the job done in the end. Ale Kaho, Taki Taimani, Tuli Letuligasenoa, Julius Irvin, Kyler Gordon all late additions. UW never panicked and starting taking plan B guys. We slow played Jackson Cravens in favor of Taimani and Tuli. We slow played Ben Wilson in favor of Ale Kaho. We slow played Stephan Blaylock and Halid Djibril in favor of Irvin and Gordon. Do you want a coach that plays it safe or a coach that has a pair of balls between his legs and goes after the best? Taking Tufuno is playing it safe. We want Heimuli more and we're going to get him.
    U take both of them, because our LB depth is not goof
    I'm hoping that's where Ngata's scholly will be reassigned (assuming we can't get Ngata).
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs

The 2018 class wouldn't have become the class that it did if he hadn't slow played some kids and trusted the process and his staff to get the job done in the end. Ale Kaho, Taki Taimani, Tuli Letuligasenoa, Julius Irvin, Kyler Gordon all late additions. UW never panicked and starting taking plan B guys. We slow played Jackson Cravens in favor of Taimani and Tuli. We slow played Ben Wilson in favor of Ale Kaho. We slow played Stephan Blaylock and Halid Djibril in favor of Irvin and Gordon. Do you want a coach that plays it safe or a coach that has a pair of balls between his legs and goes after the best? Taking Tufuno is playing it safe. We want Heimuli more and we're going to get him.
    No you don't and no it's not. Beavers and Wellington have been injured but will be back this season. You take like for like numbers every year. Lose two inside backers and replace them with two inside backers.

Projected future ILB depth:

MIKE: DJ Beavers, Jack Sirmon, Daniel Heimuli (If he WOOFS)

WIL: Brandon Wellington, MJ Tafisi, Miki Ah You
  • Options
    dnc said:

No you don't and no it's not. Beavers and Wellington have been injured but will be back this season. You take like for like numbers every year. Lose two inside backers and replace them with two inside backers.

Projected future ILB depth:

MIKE: DJ Beavers, Jack Sirmon, Daniel Heimuli (If he WOOFS)

WIL: Brandon Wellington, MJ Tafisi, Miki Ah You
    STOp this shit. You can use that as a guide but it's not a hard and fast rule. You take Colson Yankoff when you can get him with Jacob Sirmon even though you don't have two QB's graduating. You take Joe Ngata when you can get him even though you don't have a WR graduating. You take Timothy Horn when your kickers suck ass even though none of your scholarship kickers are graduating.
    Sure, but you still want to maintain as much roster balance as you can. Tufuno is not a "you take no matter what" kind of guy. If they get Heimuli and need that scholarship for a more valued defensive lineman then Tufuno will likely be told to move on.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I like to down play roster balance when it doesn’t fit my narrative ... then use it when it does ... that’s what I like to do
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

i have no idea which way this kid is going to go.
    Bored motto?
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

I like to down play roster balance when it doesn’t fit my narrative ... then use it when it does ... that’s what I like to do

Nah I've been prertty consistent. Roster balance is important but some talent can't be turned away especially when it comes to line of scrimmage players. In my humble opinion, Tufuno is not one of those guys. I think we already have the best LB in the state of Hawaii committed.
  • Options

The guys we slow played this year are way better than Djibril, Blaylock, Ben Wilson, and Jackson Craves It. Not the same thing.

There was a feeling that our strong close in 2018 would carry over and give us momentum going into 2019. Doesn't seem to be materializing.
    Who have we slow played that's better than those guys?

What feeling? This is West Coast recruiting every single year. Most of the highly coveted recruits don't make their decisions until during or after the season. It makes zero sense to think the 2018 recruiting momentum would carry over into the Spring and Summer. Look at USC's class every year. They usually start slow and finish with a huge boom. That's where UW recruiting is headed.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Tequilla said:

Pretty sure that we aren’t moving to USC’s recruiting model of relying on the end of the class to save our ass.

Yes we are. We're waiting for the best remaining recruits to make their decisions and we will get our fair share. If we don't, then you can bitch.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

Pretty sure that we aren’t moving to USC’s recruiting model of relying on the end of the class to save our ass.

Yes we are. We're waiting for the best remaining recruits to make their decisions and we will get our fair share. If we don't, then you can bitch.
    I got all the screen shots i need.