Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What is the right amount of Basic Income?

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072

Charles Murray, a prominent conservative political scientist, who made news of late as being the speaker the snowflakes rioted against at Middlebury, thinks it should be around $10,000 a year deposited into a certifiable bank account (Healthcare would be separate deal). No taxes on your first $30,000 (including the universal basic income) so as to remove dis-incentive from going out and getting a low paying job. Logic is that having $30,000 a year will be better for most, than $10,000 even if you have to earn it by showing up at a job. Right now too many in our society are choosing idle poverty (e.g., disability payments) over working poverty, because there's not much difference financially.

You get basic income AND a job? no. I don't think that's how it works
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,548 Founders Club
    100% commission... About that time share..
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    People either love or hate their time share. Buyback/ resell bidness is big
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    dhdawg said:

I'd love to hear your solution to the oncoming crisis of mass-automation

It isn't a crisis. It won't happen over night. When Race was a kid, everyone thought there would be meal replicators and flying cars in every home and garage by the year 2000. Outside of manufacturing, automation to replace humans has advanced at a snails pace. And we don't hardly manufacture squat here anymore, anyway.

What is the right's solution for 95% of current jobs being automated?

THE ROBOTS ARE COMING!!!!!

THE ROBOTS ARE COMING!!!!

Fuck I hate stupid liberals.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,216 Standard Supporter
    There's an easy way to make this work. Set the minimum income at whatever they want. Then simply mark your tax return to give the required percentage of your own income to fund the plan. Those opposing handouts wont have to pay and all those nice people wanting to give away money can easily do so. Program goes in the shitter because those wanting it won't pay.

Problem solved. End of discussion.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Sledog said:

There's an easy way to make this work. Set the minimum income at whatever they want. Then simply mark your tax return to give the required percentage of your own income to fund the plan. Those opposing handouts wont have to pay and all those nice people wanting to give away money can easily do so. Program goes in the shitter because those wanting it won't pay.

Can we do the same with the military?

Asking for a friend.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter

Sledog said:

Asking for a friend.
    Today, boobs finds a conscience to go long with his objector.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    Guys, don't worry, technology won't take over your job. We don't even have flying cars yet. I mean we all carry around fucking computers in our pockets but technology is moving at a snails pace.

Sledog said:

Asking for a friend.
    Today, boobs finds a conscience to go long with his objector.
    Sounds like the bestest afterschool Special ever!!!

Guys, don't worry, technology won't take over your job. We don't even have flying cars yet. I mean we all carry around fucking computers in our pockets but technology is moving at a snails pace.

The Palm Pilot of the late 90's had a chuckle.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter
    salemcoog said:

The Palm Pilot of the late 90's had a chuckle.
    My Kyocera 7135 kicked ass (RIP,TS)
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623

Swaye said:

Charles Murray, a prominent conservative political scientist, who made news of late as being the speaker the snowflakes rioted against at Middlebury, thinks it should be around $10,000 a year deposited into a certifiable bank account (Healthcare would be separate deal). No taxes on your first $30,000 (including the universal basic income) so as to remove dis-incentive from going out and getting a low paying job. Logic is that having $30,000 a year will be better for most, than $10,000 even if you have to earn it by showing up at a job. Right now too many in our society are choosing idle poverty (e.g., disability payments) over working poverty, because there's not much difference financially.

Idle poverty is our war cry on HH.
    Stop appropriating my culture.
    I read war and assumed @Dardanus was the one being appropriated.

Good assumption, but I've been doing just fine lately:
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,641 Founders Club
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club
    salemcoog said:

Productivity growth in the US has been pretty much flat since the 1970
    salemcoog said:

There will still be jobs post the robot menace. Challenge is there will be less of them where by people of average ability can still earn a really good living. Consider, right now there about 1.5 million households in the US where the primary breadwinner drives a truck for a living - what's that going to look like in 20 or 30 years? Yes, technological change has always been a constant in this country and past creative destruction has yielded new and better jobs, but this doesn't mean we can always count on this in the future.