Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners update

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dhdawg said:

they'll go on a late april may run as they always do. and then collapse late in the season cause they don't have enough pitching.

The offense isn't going to continue to perform theirs badly

Have you watched the Mariners the last 15 years? Yes this offense can and most likely will continue to perform this badly.

One year Felix won the cy young with almost a sub 2 era but finished something like 15-12 because the offense was so shitty.
    The M's scored just over 2 runs a game in their first 6 games. There's no chance, zero, that their offense is anything close that bad. The worst offense in the Al scored over 4 runs a game last year.

It's fun to bag on the M's, and they will probably suck. But @dhdawg is right, their offense is not going to continue performing anywhere near this badly.
    Is this your first day of Mariners fandom?
    hardy har har
    Sweep
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,522
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1-161 is still in play
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2017

I love the Mariners losing. It's the same shit year after year. If the are supposed to be good, they are awful. If they are expected to suck, they do well, just not well enough.

First Z and Wakamatsu were the answer after over achieving their first year. Then disaster. Then McLendon. Next year, he's gone.

Now Dipoto. He likely sucks too (the Segura/Hanniger trade was a good one though). The Angels were a mess by the time he was fired and their farm system was supposedly terrible.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.halosheaven.com/platform/amp/2017/1/19/14321720/mlb-angels-keith-law-farm-prospect-rankings

How many managers have had their careers ruined by coming to seattle? One guy had a stroke and nearly died mid season. Managers are already basically helpless out there.. surely there's go to be a better career choice than putting your life on the line for the worst team in the history of sports. Holy fuck all
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    PurpleJ said:

1-161 is still in play

2-160 still in play
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2017
    At some point in the season, you have to start looking toward the draft
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Death, Taxes
    Losers lose.
    Water is wet.
    Baabs flags unless there's pics.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So do they play 162 games against the astros?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

So do they play 162 games against the astros?

Our Angels swept the Mariners last weekend
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Needs more C5 in a much bigger area.

Say like about 81 sq miles more.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,522
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    doogie said:

At some point in the season, you have to start looking toward the draft

I hope Trump sends them all to die in WW3.
  • Options
    Intersectional_DawgIntersectional_Dawg Member Posts: 524
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Two in a row! World Series baby!
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Make that 4 in a row.
    World series here we come.

This is playing out exactly as I said. They will probably be 5 to 10 games above 500 by mid may and fizzle out in august
  • Options
    rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Well I'll admit I'm a die-hard M and I'm officially horny for Haniger.. Motter will be there soon
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Well I'll admit I'm a die-hard M and I'm officially horny for Haniger.. Motter will be there soon

Motter's going to fall apart at some poont. I'm with you on Hay n***** though.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'll give DiPoto credit for the Segura-Haniger trade. He absolutely fleeced the Diamondbacks.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    90-72 just requires being 18 games over .500 ... over a 6 month season that's basically 15-12 every month ...

Get to the end of April at or around .500 and you're generally on schedule ...

Next milestone is to get to Memorial Day at or around 3-5 games over .500 ...

Then get to the 4th of July at 8-10 games over .500 ...

Then have a strong August/September and in particular dominate the teams that are out of the race ...

The schedule for the Mariners will be interesting this year as the travel is definitely different with periods where they are hardly at home (not home the rest of April) and some periods where they are almost always at home.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2017
    The season depends on the starting rotation. I'm buying Paxton. He just needs to stay healthy. I think Felix is about done. If he can even pitch to last year's level for a full season, it's a win.

If they can get to July in contention, a deal has to be made for a starter. They won't survive as is, especially considering the bullpen is mostly subpar.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

The season depends on the starting rotation. I'm buying Paxton. He just needs to stay healthy. I think Felix is about done. If he can even pitch to last year's level for a full season, it's a win.

If they can get to July in contention, a deal has to be made for a starter. They won't survive as is, especially considering the bullpen is mostly subpar.

I think it's a bit premature to say that Felix is done and it is early in the year ... but there is reason for concern ...

So far this year his batting average against is .330 ... even last year his batting average against was .239 (that's inline with his career average of .240) ... his issue last year was his BB rate of almost 4 BBs per 9 innings. You could look at a higher HR rate against last year and so far this year 5 in 24.2 IP as an issue. But then again, he's at a 20:1 K:BB rate this year ... so the control is better and he's still getting K's at a decent clip (although slightly lower than his career average).

He's probably more properly slotted as a #2 starter at this point in his career ... but still capable of delivering a #1 performance. I think he's in the process of trying to reinvent himself ... he's too good to not eventually transition into the next phase of his career. Right now he's getting too much of the plate and throwing too many strikes. I'm sure he'll continue to make an adjustment(s).

As for Paxton, I agree that he's a buy in his performance. The first thing I look for in a pitcher is how easy their throwing motion is ... for Paxton he's throwing an easy 97 right now getting great action on his pitches as the ball is exploding on hitters without their ability to get any kind of comfortable swings on him. As much as everybody looks at speed and hard throwers to get outs ... at the core pitching is about making the batter uncomfortable and the inability to make confident swings/contact on the ball.

The flaw from DiPoto IMO was his inability to build out a strong bullpen ... a necessity in today's game. I don't have a ton of confidence in Kuma and Gallardo is a JAG at this point in his career. They desperately need Smyly to come back healthy as he's going to be desperately missed.