Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Looking Like Recruiting Class is 100% Gone ...

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

pat_hm said:

In an ideal transition you would be able to keep your high end commits and then build up from there. I don't know how often this happens during coaching changes but I would guess most of the time the parties part ways. That's seems like the most logical scenario given the relationships that have been built so getting upset about kids who are still in high school at this junction makes little sense to me.

I think deeming Hop a failure for not keeping two guys who 1) he has known for less than a week and 2) held a clear allegiance to Romar NOT the University of Washington is alarmist. UW is not a college basketball brand. Romar was the brand.

This is about a culture change. A rebranding of Washington basketball. It's about more than Davis and Nowell. The bandaid needed to pulled off and if that means missing out on a few guys that haven't even played a minute in college so be it. Honestly these kids who worship Romar don't fit the new mold for Mike Hopkins program and news flash: the world of basketball existes outside of Seattle.

He's not a failure, but not keeping any of that talent is a failure. Stop trying to spin that as anything but. It won't determine his success here, but it will delay it.

Petersen got Baker to stay home. And he managed to make it work with players that had been coached by Sark the retard. Not every guy that plays for a bad coach is a cancer that can't adapt and be successful under the new system.

At this rate, Hopkins will be holding open tryouts at the IMA so he has enough guys to run a scrimmage. Maybe that's why he hired Dollar and Conroy to his staff.
    This I agree with 100%.

I still think in the end he keeps at least one of the Garfield kids. If he doesn't, or doesn't get someone equivalent talent, that's certainly discouraging.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2017
    Tequilla said:

Hopkins will still win more conference games with whatever pile of scraps he comes up with than what ever the fuck Romars sorry ass would have done with his elite class.

Next year's team could be as bad of a PAC12 team as ever seen ... we are talking 80's early 90's Oregon St football bad
    2016-2017 Oregon State basketball bad? I think they won 5 games total.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Hopkins will still win more conference games with whatever pile of scraps he comes up with than what ever the fuck Romars sorry ass would have done with his elite class.

Next year's team could be as bad of a PAC12 team as ever seen ... we are talking 80's early 90's Oregon St football bad
    2016-2017 Oregon State basketball bad? I think they won 5 games total.
    Depending on the roster and what remains very possible.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Diarra and Nowell gone
  • Options
    2017 prospect Mamoudou Diarra, 6-9 forward from Mali, asks @UW_MBB for release and re-opens commitment, per AAU coach.

— Percy Allen (@percyallen) March 27, 2017
  • Options
    That's basically the entire class
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Teq, has Hopkins contacted you to walk on yet? I'm sure he knows about your IMA prowess by now.
  • Options
    Man I wouldn't want to be Hop
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Everything will be OK. Dominican Green has announced he will turn down his opportunities at PLU and Western and will instead stay at UW
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861

dnc said:

pat_hm said:

In an ideal transition you would be able to keep your high end commits and then build up from there. I don't know how often this happens during coaching changes but I would guess most of the time the parties part ways. That's seems like the most logical scenario given the relationships that have been built so getting upset about kids who are still in high school at this junction makes little sense to me.

I think deeming Hop a failure for not keeping two guys who 1) he has known for less than a week and 2) held a clear allegiance to Romar NOT the University of Washington is alarmist. UW is not a college basketball brand. Romar was the brand.

This is about a culture change. A rebranding of Washington basketball. It's about more than Davis and Nowell. The bandaid needed to pulled off and if that means missing out on a few guys that haven't even played a minute in college so be it. Honestly these kids who worship Romar don't fit the new mold for Mike Hopkins program and news flash: the world of basketball existes outside of Seattle.

He's not a failure, but not keeping any of that talent is a failure. Stop trying to spin that as anything but. It won't determine his success here, but it will delay it.

Petersen got Baker to stay home. And he managed to make it work with players that had been coached by Sark the retard. Not every guy that plays for a bad coach is a cancer that can't adapt and be successful under the new system.

At this rate, Hopkins will be holding open tryouts at the IMA so he has enough guys to run a scrimmage. Maybe that's why he hired Dollar and Conroy to his staff.
    This I agree with 100%.

I still think in the end he keeps at least one of the Garfield kids. If he doesn't, or doesn't get someone equivalent talent, that's certainly discouraging.

Tequilla said:

I'm not saying WDWTA

What I'm saying is that if we learned anything from the Sark to Pete transition it is that a culture change can take up to 2 full seasons ... we were slightly helped here in that there were a number of our top players that bought in pretty quickly because they saw Sark for what he was ...

The problem with Romar is that so many think that he walked in water (insanely stupid) ... so I am not losing sleep by anybody leaving or not wanting to show up because they don't want to buy in ...

We will have short-term problems next year from a depleted roster and TBD challenges from recruiting locally ... we may have some opportunities in having a large recruiting class in 2018 and/or 2019 full of people that buy into what we are selling

Maybe Hop is a great recruiter (because everyone says so!), but his inability to close even one of the Garfield guys says it's just as likely he's not.
    Now is the time for Ernie Kent go Kendall Briles and pull out the hottest of the hot sororitutes in Pullberg. There's not much you can say about that place vs. Gonzaga but dem tittays are way, way better in Whitman County than Spokane County.

In fact, he should just ride dem tittays to a complete roster makeover.

dnc said:

pat_hm said:

This I agree with 100%.

Tequilla said:

I'm not saying WDWTA

What I'm saying is that if we learned anything from the Sark to Pete transition it is that a culture change can take up to 2 full seasons ... we were slightly helped here in that there were a number of our top players that bought in pretty quickly because they saw Sark for what he was ...

The problem with Romar is that so many think that he walked in water (insanely stupid) ... so I am not losing sleep by anybody leaving or not wanting to show up because they don't want to buy in ...

We will have short-term problems next year from a depleted roster and TBD challenges from recruiting locally ... we may have some opportunities in having a large recruiting class in 2018 and/or 2019 full of people that buy into what we are selling

Maybe Hop is a great recruiter (because everyone says so!), but his inability to close even one of the Garfield guys says it's just as likely he's not.
    Now is the time for Ernie Kent go Kendall Briles and pull out the hottest of the hot sororitutes in Pullberg. There's not much you can say about that place vs. Gonzaga but dem tittays are way, way better in Whitman County than Spokane County.

In fact, he should just ride dem tittays to a complete roster makeover.

Two of Ernie's assistants were asked to sell their couch today. Dem Tittays recruiting is on.

Ernie, toss in a couple shots of tequila and those sororitutes will close. OLE, hombre!

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Everything will be OK. Dominican Green has announced he will turn down his opportunities at PLU and Western and will instead stay at UW

This is how you know the program is a total dreckfest. Hop is allowing Green to stay because there aren't other options at this point.
    There were other options, but he failed to close any of them.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZ said:

Teq, has Hopkins contacted you to walk on yet? I'm sure he knows about your IMA prowess by now.

I'll be the first to admit that I never had the athletic ability to be a D1 P5 caliber of player ... my ceiling I got all broke right would have been D2 or D3 ... maybe real low D1
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I'll take $1.8M per.
    and don't forget, ZERO expectations to be remotely competitive for years. Great gig

• Options
    doogie said:

I'll take $1.8M per.
    and don't forget, ZERO expectations to be remotely competitive for years. Great gig

Because failing at your first head coaching gig always leads to a second head coaching job?