Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Looking Like Recruiting Class is 100% Gone ...

Comments

• Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

phineas said:

I'm shocked that people are shocked that kids would want to leave after the coach who got them there was fired.

Newsflash: those kids don't give a fuck about washington. So fuck them. Get some guys in there who are committed to the school, not some loser head coach who loses to yale.

There's that doog talk again.
    I'd suggest you try lurking for a while. Get a feel for the boards. Or head on back to dawgman.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Hopkins will still win more conference games with whatever pile of scraps he comes up with than what ever the fuck Romars sorry ass would have done with his elite class.

Next year's team could be as bad of a PAC12 team as ever seen ... we are talking 80's early 90's Oregon St football bad
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Hopkins will still win more conference games with whatever pile of scraps he comes up with than what ever the fuck Romars sorry ass would have done with his elite class.

Next year's team could be as bad of a PAC12 team as ever seen ... we are talking 80's early 90's Oregon St football bad
    That's what Fleens said
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

I'm not saying WDWTA

What I'm saying is that if we learned anything from the Sark to Pete transition it is that a culture change can take up to 2 full seasons ... we were slightly helped here in that there were a number of our top players that bought in pretty quickly because they saw Sark for what he was ...

The problem with Romar is that so many think that he walked in water (insanely stupid) ... so I am not losing sleep by anybody leaving or not wanting to show up because they don't want to buy in ...

We will have short-term problems next year from a depleted roster and TBD challenges from recruiting locally ... we may have some opportunities in having a large recruiting class in 2018 and/or 2019 full of people that buy into what we are selling

Maybe Hop is a great recruiter (because everyone says so!), but his inability to close even one of the Garfield guys says it's just as likely he's not.
  • Options
    TommySQC said:

Tequilla said:

That's what Fleens said
    Fleens is like a broken clock ... right 2x a day

I'm not even saying that we'll be brutally bad as an indictment on Hopkins ... it just is what it is. It's the fact that the UW allowed Romar to build up the Romar brand (particularly in the local community) and not the UW brand that he represented.

If everything was done right, you'd have had the local hoops community sending their players outside of the area as Romar's slide became obvious to anybody with a basketball pulse. Instead, the local community embraced Romar even more when most would run.

The Seattle hoops community that has influence right now is generally clueless ... I'm not talking about the guys that have NBA experience that know what's up. You'll never hear any of those guys say anything bad about Romar because they don't want to say anything bad about the man. But in honest moments, they'll tell you that his coaching results particularly the last few years couldn't save him. They know it is a results oriented business. If they didn't feel that way, there's no chance Will Conroy would have stayed on staff. But the idiots that think elite ball is played at Green Lake or in the Seattle Semi Pro League don't have a fucking clue. They epitomize the "Disease of Me" and their attitude seen through their play is fucking terrible.
  • Options
    pat_hm said:

In an ideal transition you would be able to keep your high end commits and then build up from there. I don't know how often this happens during coaching changes but I would guess most of the time the parties part ways. That's seems like the most logical scenario given the relationships that have been built so getting upset about kids who are still in high school at this junction makes little sense to me.

I think deeming Hop a failure for not keeping two guys who 1) he has known for less than a week and 2) held a clear allegiance to Romar NOT the University of Washington is alarmist. UW is not a college basketball brand. Romar was the brand.

This is about a culture change. A rebranding of Washington basketball. It's about more than Davis and Nowell. The bandaid needed to pulled off and if that means missing out on a few guys that haven't even played a minute in college so be it. Honestly these kids who worship Romar don't fit the new mold for Mike Hopkins program and news flash: the world of basketball existes outside of Seattle.

He's not a failure, but not keeping any of that talent is a failure. Stop trying to spin that as anything but. It won't determine his success here, but it will delay it.

Petersen got Baker to stay home. And he managed to make it work with players that had been coached by Sark the retard. Not every guy that plays for a bad coach is a cancer that can't adapt and be successful under the new system.

At this rate, Hopkins will be holding open tryouts at the IMA so he has enough guys to run a scrimmage. Maybe that's why he hired Dollar and Conroy to his staff.
  • Options
    In fairness though, football and basketball recruiting are completely different animals.
  • Options
    Last time I saw Cam, I don't think he's running around in a scrimmage
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    haie said:

Tequilla said:

I'm not saying WDWTA

What I'm saying is that if we learned anything from the Sark to Pete transition it is that a culture change can take up to 2 full seasons ... we were slightly helped here in that there were a number of our top players that bought in pretty quickly because they saw Sark for what he was ...

The problem with Romar is that so many think that he walked in water (insanely stupid) ... so I am not losing sleep by anybody leaving or not wanting to show up because they don't want to buy in ...

We will have short-term problems next year from a depleted roster and TBD challenges from recruiting locally ... we may have some opportunities in having a large recruiting class in 2018 and/or 2019 full of people that buy into what we are selling

Basketball is about 5 fucking players. Culture change should take 1 year. Fuck that noise.
    I agree. If Hopkins is the guy for the foreseeable future the culture change will be evident next season. I think he embraces that blue collar attitude which has been the anthesis of Romar coached teams the last half decade. It's taking pride in playing defense, hitting free throws, making the extra pass, holding each other accountable, doing the the little things to help your team. That's all cliche shit but it's true. We know we'll be at a disadvantage talent wise but that doesn't mean they can't play good team basketball. Romar got fired because he teams played unenthusiastic basketball, night in and night out. He put them in that position. It felt like it was a chore for them and they deserved only 9 wins. If the guys out there now are buying into Hopkins it will be evident on the court.
  • Options
    pat_hm said:

haie said:

Tequilla said:

I'm not saying WDWTA

Basketball is about 5 fucking players. Culture change should take 1 year. Fuck that noise.
    I agree. If Hopkins is the guy for the foreseeable future the culture change will be evident next season. I think he embraces that blue collar attitude which has been the anthesis of Romar coached teams the last half decade. It's taking pride in playing defense, hitting free throws, making the extra pass, holding each other accountable, doing the the little things to help your team. That's all cliche shit but it's true. We know we'll be at a disadvantage talent wise but that doesn't mean they can't play good team basketball. Romar got fired because he teams played unenthusiastic basketball, night in and night out. He put them in that position. It felt like it was a chore for them and they deserved only 9 wins. If the guys out there now are buying into Hopkins it will be evident on the court.
    Everything you said was true ...

The problem is that from an athletic standpoint we may be so far behind the balance of the conference that it has a chance to get ugly depending on how we fill out the roster ...

It is total LIPO at this point until we see what's left going into next year ... but thinking that next year could be fairly ugly despite changing the culture isn't that far fetched.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    I don't what happened to my last post but I'm glad I drunkenly deleted it because that was a poor bet
  • Options
    Excuses excuses.

Win or GTFO, as always.

Other than the fact that we are stuck with him, what makes you all so sure he has a culture that is worth sacrificing 3 seasons for? And why do you want to make him do it without any good players to coach?