Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Colson Yankoff, 2018 QB, Coeur d' Alene, ID (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Yeah, obviously brain for a QB matters. But there is no way for us to know a kids brain in regards to football intelligence. That's one where you have to #TrustTheCoaches.

I think this is probably true, but I would imagine there are some hints as far as to whether a kid is simply a one read guy, decision making, his leadership skills, etc.

FWIW it seems that Sirmon has some leadership in him. He seems to enjoy recruiting and the other recruits seem to like him. That's not all there is to being a leader (see Williams, Troy), but it suggests he has the type of personality that could lead if he uses it correctly.
    Your last point here is spot on ...

This is why I don't think it's a slam dunk that Sirmon's going elsewhere ...

It's likely not a void between the ears and I agree that there have been some signs of good leadership examples coming from him ...

There's a lot of LIPO here in the next few months and years
  • Options
    Intersectional_DawgIntersectional_Dawg Member Posts: 524
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper

Yeah, obviously brain for a QB matters. But there is no way for us to know a kids brain in regards to football intelligence. That's one where you have to #TrustTheCoaches.

Ah yes, the old Ryan Fitzpatrick canard.

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

dnc said:

I think this is probably true, but I would imagine there are some hints as far as to whether a kid is simply a one read guy, decision making, his leadership skills, etc.

FWIW it seems that Sirmon has some leadership in him. He seems to enjoy recruiting and the other recruits seem to like him. That's not all there is to being a leader (see Williams, Troy), but it suggests he has the type of personality that could lead if he uses it correctly.
    Agree with all of this. I'm just saying as far as us basement lurkers evaluating a teen boy it's really hard to get a grasp on stuff. Even watching their games and shit we don't know what the correct progression is on their reads or any of that shit. We can make assumptions, and obviously a good example is Jake Browning just from everything we had heard about him.

In regards to Sirmon and his leadership, I fully agree that he has it in him. But he really needs to figure it out because the things I saw in games were very concerning (berating players, body language, etc.) and if I/we are seeing those things, there is no doubt Pete and staff see them too. Plus Pete through his process gets as much information as possible from people around these recruits.

Sirmon can be a total alpha dog and a great leader, but you can't be an asshole to your teammates and expect to be a leader. I think once Lubick came in the coaches knew they could get in on Yankoff and they see him as an insurance policy with Sirmon and his question marks. Sirmon is without question one of the most talented QB's I've seen out of WA, but I think this puts him in a spot the coaches wanted to put him in.

We were going to have ZERO competition for Sirmon if we didn't take another QB this year. So basically the coaches have put themselves in a win-win situation with the following scenarios:

1) Sirmon stays committed, comes in and competes against DBG and Yankoff as a RS-Frosh to start. The winner of that competition will be fucking legit.

2) Sirmon decommits and the coaches are now aware that he likely didn't have the capacity to be a true leader of the team. Still have Yankoff in the fold.

In no way do I believe the coaches want to see Sirmon go, I just think they actually want to see if he's all about this or not.

TL;DR FML
    There is no way they want Sirmon to leave, but it's hard for me to believe they aren't more comfortable with Yankoff. This wouldn't be happening if they were completely sold on Sirmon. They wouldn't risk losing him.

Yankoff isn't an insurance policy. He has offers from all over the country and is simply a better QB at this point. Sirmon wouldn't put up big numbers against Camas and Folsom like Yankoff did.

To your point above #1.... If/When Sirmon leaves, we will have ZERO competition for Yankoff. It's the same situation except with Yankoff instead of Sirmon.

And Sirmon will decommit.
    I agree that they are likely more comfortable with Yankoff, I just don't think it has to do with anything on the field. These are two of the best QB's on the west coast, he is likely a better QB right now, like you said, but the upside for Sirmon is sky high (and yes, I understand Yankoff has great upside too, I just personally believe Sirmons is higher).

And I understand it's the same spot if Sirmon leaves, but at least then the coaches knew what they were dealing with in Sirmon.

The reality is we basically fucked the pooch the last two years and that is why we are where we are.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pumpy triple post time:

I love Pete. Going for gold here and just cut throat as shit.

Me too. I also think Yankoff is going to be amazing.

Not sure if he has as good of an arm, but he reminds me of Darnold in the sense he's a passer that can run well. I really see a perfect fit for our offense.
  • Options
    Mechanics, footwork, etc. are all elements that lead into arm strength and the ability to make all the throws ...

Some are trying to make way too much out of things here
  • Options
    JECAR said:

Pumpy triple post time:

I love Pete. Going for gold here and just cut throat as shit.

Fuck me. Where is Pumpy when we need him most?

He's probably pulling a Pete, cutting throats out in Maltby...
    Far from it ...

But when people try to get into "gotcha" mode the try hard gets a little ridiculous at times
  • Options
    90-95% of the plays a QB makes needs to be with his arm ...

But if you have a QB that can get himself out of trouble and extend a drive with his legs that's a massive bonus.

Anything that provides more options is a good thing ... if used right.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

I watched his hudl. Funky mechanics, no sure of his arm strength. Baller, though. Great size, speed combo.

Heady Kid. Lives in the Filmroom, Coach on the Field, The Kind of Kid you'd let her daughter diddle herself over.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Sirmon has more physical talent ... but his intangibles need to get better to be a great QB ... that's part of being 17 and everybody matures differently ...

Almost all top programs he will go to will find him in a position where he will have to compete ... it is what it is.

There is room in this class for 2 QBs ... whether we will end up with 2 QBs is TBD

Uhh does Sirmon vert 39" inches and run a 4.67 40 yard dash? Sirmon's arm talent is a bit better though.
    The most important physical characteristics for a QB are arm strength and height/weight.

After that, the next set of most important skills for a QB are all in the mental intangible side of the game from reading defenses to leading a team.

If overall physical ability was so important for a QB Then Tom Brady wouldn't be Tom Brady
    Those are backwards.
    They are like 1A and 1B ... if you don't have minimum arm strength it doesn't matter how smart you are ...
    It's 1 and 1A.

And I like beetles.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Love this move by Coach Pete. Big time.

AEB stone cold truth: if you're good enough, the League will find you. If Sirmon comes to UW and cumpetes with Yankoff, earns the starting job even if it's in his 5th year, he will be drafted high. If he's good enough, it won't matter if UW takes 2 QBs in his year. He'll be better for it.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited March 2017

Sweatpants boner engaged, two five star qb commits.