Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Its Tony Bennett

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

dhdawg said:

Bennett won the ACC regular season twice and the tournament. best conference in basketball by far.

he needs to make a final four but the sark comps are absurd

It's not absurd.

They both have a ceiling that I find unacceptable.

And I hate watching both of their styles of play.

Pass.
    Bennett with better athletes can make a final four.
    So he just needs more time to get his guys in there???

Fuck off kid.
    No UVA's recruiting base is fucking shit... Maryland and GTOWN usually get the DMV kids... there are exceptions like Britt at NC, Jenkins at Nova, Markelle at UW but still.. Charlottesville is in the middle of fuck nowhere VA because it ain't close to the metro area albeit it's a nice area.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Bingo ...

For those not paying attention, coaches are taking jobs within a 24-48 hour window AFTER their teams have been eliminated from the tournament ...

IF Cohen has identified her candidate (which seemed likely given her comments at the Romar firing presser) ... then you can probably conclude that her target was someone that did not get eliminated during the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Go through the list of coaches that made it to the Round of 32 ... who are the coaches that would pass the mustard???

Either Archie Miller is negotiating the fine print right now, or Cohen is waiting for Wichita St to lose.

If nothing is announced by early next week, Marshall is the primary target.
    I doubt Miller's listening to anything ... he's either waiting to see what happens with Indiana or waiting for Thad Matta to leave Ohio State. If he came here and Thad retires in the next 2-3 years we're losing Miller at that point anyway.

Your big test would be if Wichita State actually wins tomorrow ... if they do and we don't have a hire in place prior to the Sweet Sixteen ... that's what you know Jen's target is definitively Gregg Marshall.

If Marshall loses tomorrow, then I would think we have a hire in place by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Do you guys want to just get back to the tournament or build an actual contender?

Bennett offers the former, but not the latter.

I mean Jesus, this is like Sark limping into the Holiday Bowl being cheered like a Rose Bowl just because we hadn't been to any bowl in a while.

Good is the enemy of great. Bennett is good, but not great.

I'd take him over some assistant with no HC experience, or some retread like Steve Lavin. No doubt.

But Marshall is still out there. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

Jay Wright was a known tournament choker until last year. A coach who has won league titles against coach K, Pitino, Roy Williams is a good hire. You can nitpick, but that's a sign of a very good coach.

I want to get to the tournament every year or at least every 4 out of 5. Bennett can accomplish that.

Anything about style of play is some straight Sark sizzle bullshit. I like winning. Bennett wins. He won at WSU and he won at Virginia. I would rather have Marshall, but Bennett would be a good hire.
    Ty Willingham won a Rose Bowl once!!1!
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Do you guys want to just get back to the tournament or build an actual contender?

Bennett offers the former, but not the latter.

I mean Jesus, this is like Sark limping into the Holiday Bowl being cheered like a Rose Bowl just because we hadn't been to any bowl in a while.

Good is the enemy of great. Bennett is good, but not great.

I'd take him over some assistant with no HC experience, or some retread like Steve Lavin. No doubt.

But Marshall is still out there. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

Jay Wright was a known tournament choker until last year. A coach who has won league titles against coach K, Pitino, Roy Williams is a good hire. You can nitpick, but that's a sign of a very good coach.

I want to get to the tournament every year or at least every 4 out of 5. Bennett can accomplish that.

Anything about style of play is some straight Sark sizzle bullshit. I like winning. Bennett wins. He won at WSU and he won at Virginia. I would rather have Marshall, but Bennett would be a good hire.
    Ty Willingham won a Rose Bowl once!!1!
    No he didn't. Rick Neuheisel is no Coach K or Pitino either.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    After inheriting a 10–18 team in 2009, Bennett's win percentage in conference play is the highest in UVA history, and he has drawn great praise from even his most heated of conference rivals. Rick Pitino of Louisville said "there is no such thing as post play against Virginia" on the eve of a home loss to start 1–4 against Bennett, and similarly Buzz Williams of Virginia Tech called Bennett's system "offensively and defensively elite."
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited March 2017
    bennett went 16-2 twice in a conference with pitino, k, williams, and boeheim and then came in 2nd the next year.

the bitching about his style of play is straight out of the doog playbook.

I see jay wright has been mentioned.

Bo Ryan may be an even better example. people were constantly bitching about his style of play calling him a march choker and then he finished his career with 2 straight final 4 appearances.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I want Marshall, Miller or Musselmen. In that order.

I would not mind either of the Bennett's. At least we would compete year in and year out for the Pac-12 and every once in a while get to the sweet 16/elite 8.

I do think that with better athletes Tony would consider playing at a slightly higher pace.

"Thank you for calling the law offices of Marshall, Miller and Musselmen. Your call is important to us..."
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I don't know but he has 192 followers and says his location is "erotic city". This might be a TROLL!
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,350
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Why would Bennett leave Virginia for Washington? Honest question. Seems like a step down.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I need to hear it from @sportboner

See?
  • Options
    And nobody thought Hopkins period ...

Fuck off with your "haha you were wrong bullshit" ...
  • Options

Tequilla said:

DNC had a great post about not being the doog that thinks Marshall is coming.
    We don't know the comp range that Hopkins is getting and none of us have the access to the underlying financials of the Athletic Department to know what was realistic and what would have been required to be done to get to the point where Marshall could have made sense.

I realize that there are times that I will float back and forth between what I would do versus what the AD would do. With regards to this coaching search, I was talking almost exclusively about what I would have done ... said as much when saying that until we hire someone that isn't Marshall I'll be saying that we should be making Marshall an offer he couldn't refuse.

I'm more than willing to sit back and wait on Hopkins versus many of the retread names that were being thrown out there ... NOBODY even considered Hopkins or really any assistant (outside of Lloyd) as a consideration ... everybody expected Cohen to go after an established HC.

It's ultimately why I think the Hopkins hire was definitely more in the Plan B or even Plan C range after getting shut down on some of her prime targets. If Hopkins topped her list this deal would have been done earlier.

Other than that ... FUCK OFF ... in general you make the shit posters around here look knowledgeable ... so let @dnc do the I "told you so" instead of slobbering all over his knob like the willing and pleasing whore that you are.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

We don't know the comp range that Hopkins is getting and none of us have the access to the underlying financials of the Athletic Department to know what was realistic and what would have been required to be done to get to the point where Marshall could have made sense.

I realize that there are times that I will float back and forth between what I would do versus what the AD would do. With regards to this coaching search, I was talking almost exclusively about what I would have done ... said as much when saying that until we hire someone that isn't Marshall I'll be saying that we should be making Marshall an offer he couldn't refuse.

I'm more than willing to sit back and wait on Hopkins versus many of the retread names that were being thrown out there ... NOBODY even considered Hopkins or really any assistant (outside of Lloyd) as a consideration ... everybody expected Cohen to go after an established HC.

It's ultimately why I think the Hopkins hire was definitely more in the Plan B or even Plan C range after getting shut down on some of her prime targets. If Hopkins topped her list this deal would have been done earlier.

Other than that ... FUCK OFF ... in general you make the shit posters around here look knowledgeable ... so let @dnc do the I "told you so" instead of slobbering all over his knob like the willing and pleasing whore that you are.
    No
    Ouch
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Dude you went on and on about why you were sure it was Marshall based on Jen's comments.

I think you're right about Hopkins but you allowed yourself to believe we were hiring the basketball coach who everybody in the country wants and that it wouldn't require a pay raise to do it.

There's no need for me to beat my chest because I just stated the incredibly obvious. We were never ever hiring Gregg fucking Marshall.