Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Its Tony Bennett

13»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

And nobody thought Hopkins period ...

Fuck off with your "haha you were wrong bullshit" ...

DNC had a great post about not being the doog that thinks Marshall is coming.
    We don't know the comp range that Hopkins is getting and none of us have the access to the underlying financials of the Athletic Department to know what was realistic and what would have been required to be done to get to the point where Marshall could have made sense.

I realize that there are times that I will float back and forth between what I would do versus what the AD would do. With regards to this coaching search, I was talking almost exclusively about what I would have done ... said as much when saying that until we hire someone that isn't Marshall I'll be saying that we should be making Marshall an offer he couldn't refuse.

I'm more than willing to sit back and wait on Hopkins versus many of the retread names that were being thrown out there ... NOBODY even considered Hopkins or really any assistant (outside of Lloyd) as a consideration ... everybody expected Cohen to go after an established HC.

It's ultimately why I think the Hopkins hire was definitely more in the Plan B or even Plan C range after getting shut down on some of her prime targets. If Hopkins topped her list this deal would have been done earlier.

Other than that ... FUCK OFF ... in general you make the shit posters around here look knowledgeable ... so let @dnc do the I "told you so" instead of slobbering all over his knob like the willing and pleasing whore that you are.
    Dude you went on and on about why you were sure it was Marshall based on Jen's comments.

I think you're right about Hopkins but you allowed yourself to believe we were hiring the basketball coach who everybody in the country wants and that it wouldn't require a pay raise to do it.

There's no need for me to beat my chest because I just stated the incredibly obvious. We were never ever hiring Gregg fucking Marshall.
    You're more than right to puff your chest about that ... that's fine ... it's when others puff the chest for you ... those people can DIAFF

As I said, I took it from the standpoint of that's who I'd hire and until we hire somebody else that's who I was going to beat my chest for ... no question it was a long shot ... there were ties to the area but also obvious reasons to think it wouldn't happen ... on things like this I prefer to not just sit back and being pessimistic and instead be optimistic ... anybody that can't handle that can just FUCK OFF ...

The reality is that Hopkins was on nobody's radar ... so nobody can really puff the chest out on that one ...

But I think even you would agree with me that after you got about 2-3 names down on the lists everybody was circling about this job they were all fucking terrible. So when you throw that into the context, I'm going to absolutely champion the idea of spending the money to get great versus say 1/2 to 2/3 of that and get dreck.
  • Options
    Do we know that it would have taken $7M to get Marshall? That seems like a little hyperbole.

We knew that he is making $3.3M at Wichita State ... if we could have gotten the deal done in the $4M to $4.5M range then that was the hire ...

I think we'd have to be naïve to think that Cohen didn't at least kick the tires on Marshall ... if you believe the $2M to $3M range that was being thrown out by the media then I think they would have gotten to $4M for the right candidate. Problem is if they say that then they may as well publicly say who they are targeting because it's such a small group of coaches that could fall in that range. I'm still not convinced that Marshall won't take one of the open jobs ... I could see T Boone throwing some big money to get him to head a couple of hours south to Okie Lite.

What I was pretty adamant about regarding Marshall was making him an offer that he couldn't refuse ... obviously we have our boundaries on that ... but if you are pursuing him you have to know what it takes to sit at the table ($4M minimum).

What's likely realistic is that Cohen kicked the tires on the guys that we would have wanted and found out that she was going to have to pay a premium to get an elite guy (plus pay a buyout) with no guarantee that that coach would stay for the long haul (outside of Marshall because of his wife's ties) and decided from a budget standpoint they'd be better off allocating those resources into the assistant coaching pool and likely towards the build out of the men's practice facilities that have been talked about.

For as much as she talked about wanting to get the right coach and the championship commitment that she wanted the hire basically proves that in the end the hire was a budget hire and she probably got as good as she could get given those boundaries.

• Options
    dnc said:

Listening to what she was describing today during the press conference today, it screamed Marshall to me ...

I get all the reasons why Marshall shouldn't be in play ...

But from what I've gathered of how Cohen operates, she puts the pieces on the table with an offer that makes it difficult to impossible to say no ... and if she gets resistance she doesn't just take it and leave she finds a way to make it difficult to say no in the end.

If you buy the above, then I'd say that I'd say Marshall is as likely as the field.

And I stand by every single world of that ...

Cohen was vocal during the press conference about making the hoops program championship caliber and giving it the resources needed to do that ...

She may have hired someone that she thought had a pedigree to be able to build a championship caliber program in time ... but she's betting on the come on this and not paying for a sure thing.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Do we know that it would have taken $7M to get Marshall? That seems like a little hyperbole.

We knew that he is making $3.3M at Wichita State ... if we could have gotten the deal done in the $4M to $4.5M range then that was the hire ...

I think we'd have to be naïve to think that Cohen didn't at least kick the tires on Marshall ... if you believe the $2M to $3M range that was being thrown out by the media then I think they would have gotten to $4M for the right candidate. Problem is if they say that then they may as well publicly say who they are targeting because it's such a small group of coaches that could fall in that range. I'm still not convinced that Marshall won't take one of the open jobs ... I could see T Boone throwing some big money to get him to head a couple of hours south to Okie Lite.

What I was pretty adamant about regarding Marshall was making him an offer that he couldn't refuse ... obviously we have our boundaries on that ... but if you are pursuing him you have to know what it takes to sit at the table ($4M minimum).

What's likely realistic is that Cohen kicked the tires on the guys that we would have wanted and found out that she was going to have to pay a premium to get an elite guy (plus pay a buyout) with no guarantee that that coach would stay for the long haul (outside of Marshall because of his wife's ties) and decided from a budget standpoint they'd be better off allocating those resources into the assistant coaching pool and likely towards the build out of the men's practice facilities that have been talked about.

For as much as she talked about wanting to get the right coach and the championship commitment that she wanted the hire basically proves that in the end the hire was a budget hire and she probably got as good as she could get given those boundaries.

Disagree
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Jesus how long did this take you?
    About the same amount of time it takes for you to make a dirty sock crunchy
    About 3 hours? I prefer mouths of females tho #EndWorldHunger
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2017
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Listening to what she was describing today during the press conference today, it screamed Marshall to me ...

But from what I've gathered of how Cohen operates, she puts the pieces on the table with an offer that makes it difficult to impossible to say no ... and if she gets resistance she doesn't just take it and leave she finds a way to make it difficult to say no in the end.

If you buy the above, then I'd say that I'd say Marshall is as likely as the field.

Cohen was vocal during the press conference about making the hoops program championship caliber and giving it the resources needed to do that ...

She may have hired someone that she thought had a pedigree to be able to build a championship caliber program in time ... but she's betting on the come on this and not paying for a sure thing.
    You heard what you wanted to hear. Classic confirmation bias, yadda yadda yadda.

Did she kick the tires? Sure, why not. When his agent hung up the phone at her $3 million starting poont she moved on. There's just no way we? were ever going to pay what it would have taken to get him. Anyone paying attention knew this before we ever fired Romar.

Just like Saban and Spurrier.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

You heard what you wanted to hear. Classic confirmation bias, yadda yadda yadda.

Did she kick the tires? Sure, why not. When his agent hung up the phone at her $3 million starting poont she moved on. There's just no way we? were ever going to pay what it would have taken to get him. Anyone paying attention knew this before we ever fired Romar.

Definitely not confirmation bias ...

I'm a huge fan of Marshall the coach but for all the reasons that have been mentioned there's always been a reason to not think a high caliber hire was realistic ...

Then Cohen had her presser and I sent a text to a buddy of mine asking thoughts on her comments and the response was "sounds like she was describing Marshall" ... which was the same takeaway that I had. Cohen's words led me in that direction ...

On top of that, you had a report of a leading booster saying Marshall was the target as well as supposedly a reported budget range of the hire in the $2M to $3M range (which I've hypothesized that they wouldn't publicly say more if available because of what it would signal) ...

We still have no clue what the contractual terms for Hopkins are ... my guess is somewhere around $1.5M per year given that Boeheim makes about $2.1M per year at last report.
  • Options
    AlCzervikAlCzervik Member Posts: 1,774
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Cohen's words led me in that direction ...

No, your doogishness led you in that direction.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Definitely not confirmation bias ...

I'm a huge fan of Marshall the coach but for all the reasons that have been mentioned there's always been a reason to not think a high caliber hire was realistic ...

Then Cohen had her presser and I sent a text to a buddy of mine asking thoughts on her comments and the response was "sounds like she was describing Marshall" ... which was the same takeaway that I had. Cohen's words led me in that direction ...

On top of that, you had a report of a leading booster saying Marshall was the target as well as supposedly a reported budget range of the hire in the $2M to $3M range (which I've hypothesized that they wouldn't publicly say more if available because of what it would signal) ...

We still have no clue what the contractual terms for Hopkins are ... my guess is somewhere around $1.5M per year given that Boeheim makes about $2.1M per year at last report.
    I would guess he's gonna make $2.2 because it's the Washington way to overpay but how much Hopkins is getting is inconsequential. I agree they would have gone past $3 million for Marshall. There's no way in hell they would have gone past $4 million because you're not paying a basketball coach more than Pete, and i'm not sure they could have gotten to $4. I am sure $4million doesn't get you an interview with Marshall let alone a contract.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Do you guys want to just get back to the tournament or build an actual contender?

Bennett offers the former, but not the latter.

I mean Jesus, this is like Sark limping into the Holiday Bowl being cheered like a Rose Bowl just because we hadn't been to any bowl in a while.

Good is the enemy of great. Bennett is good, but not great.

I'd take him over some assistant with no HC experience, or some retread like Steve Lavin. No doubt.

But Marshall is still out there. Make him an offer he can't refuse.

Jay Wright was a known tournament choker until last year. A coach who has won league titles against coach K, Pitino, Roy Williams is a good hire. You can nitpick, but that's a sign of a very good coach.

I want to get to the tournament every year or at least every 4 out of 5. Bennett can accomplish that.

Anything about style of play is some straight Sark sizzle bullshit. I like winning. Bennett wins. He won at WSU and he won at Virginia. I would rather have Marshall, but Bennett would be a good hire.
    Ty Willingham won a Rose Bowl once!!1!
    No he didn't. Rick Neuheisel is no Coach K or Pitino either.
    whoosh bro, come on.