Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greg Gaines: SEC is overrated

Comments

• Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Secfans said:

'Bama is not the SEC. However a 14 team SEC has A SINGLE TEAM WITH more than eight wins. A twelve team Pac 12 has five teams with at least 9 wins.

Since you are, you know, from the south - I will do the math for you...

So, yes, there is a chance that 'Bama (while a giant among midgets) is not totally unbeatable by a real team.

What in the world does that have to do with anything? You have a bunch of teams who beat a bunch of trash PAC12 teams to get to a 9 win record. Since you're from, you know, the northwest...let me explain football to you. I'll even break down the math for you using my engineering degree.

*** I noticed you include Utah in that group of "9 win teams" even though their 9th win came in a bowl and only one of the SEC's 5 8+ win teams have played their bowls so far...and LSU had to cancel their game with South AL that would have been a 6th 8 win team yet to play a bowl.

9 win teams UW played:

Stanford (9-3). Stanford opened with two wins over KSU and USC. Then went on to get wins against SEVEN CONSECUTIVE TEAMS with losing records. S-E-V-E-N. That's pitiful. They have 9 wins because they beat a bunch of teams everyone else beat. Including a one score win over ND and a nice season ender against Rice.

Colorado (10-4). 7 of Colorado's 10 wins were against 6 teams with losing records and 7-6 Colorado St. They also lost 45-28 to Michigan, and 38-8 to Okie St. They were 0-4 against the 4 good/decent teams they played this year.

USC (9-3). Ahh yes, the "resurgent" USC team who got their poo pushed in by Alabama to open the season. 7 of USC's 9 wins were against teams with losing records. After their 4 point win over a trash Colorado team, they finished the season against teams who averaged 4 wins this season, plus Washington. Woooooooooo. Before their win against Colorado, they beat 5-7 ASU, 4-8 Utah St, and had 3 losses. They good. They real real good.

Utah (9-4) Ahhh yes. Utah. EIGHT. E-I-G-H-T of Utahs 9 wins came against 6 teams with losing records, FCS Southern Utah, and a 1 point win over a BYU team who 5-7 Miss St took to overtime.

Now, let's have a look at Alabama shall we?

USC (9-3). We've already done them. They've beaten nobody besides UW in what may have been a fluke.

WKU (11-3). Beat the same trash Rice team by a wider margin than Stanford did. And a bunch of nobodies.

Tenn (8-4). Beat 6 teams with winning records, 1 trash FCS team, and 1 team with a losing record. Beat the crap out of ACC division winning Va Tech.

Texas A&M (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, 1 FCS, and 4 teams with losing records.

LSU (7-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, and Ole Miss (healthy Chad Kelly), FCS JVille St, 6-7 Miss St, and crappy Mizzou.

Auburn (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, and Ole Miss w/a healthy Chad Kelly.

Florida (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records but honestly Florida is trash too. They won their division by default. Would probably be a 3 point favorite against Colorado.

So literally all of the 8 win conference wins for Bama won beat more teams with winning records than any of the 9+ conf wins for UW.

But congrats on all the 9 win teams. That extra conference game with a win over 5-7 cal or 3-9 Arizona is a really big deal!

None of this means UW is bad. UW beat the crap out of all these teams. It just means the PAC12 sucked this year.
    Holy fuck.

You could have just posted the last sentence to get your point across, Tequila.
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Secfans said:

People keep gushing over these DTs because they're fat. I don't get it.

The NFL must hate them as prospects then.

• Options
    SecfansSecfans Member Posts: 44
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    Sledog said:

Funny how they can blow up "the SEC as a whole may be a little overrated".

I don't even know how the SEC is considered overrated - everyone has been saying they're the worst conference America for a decade...Any time the SEC loses an OOC game everyone falls all over themselves to announce the demise of the SEC.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Secfans said:

Sledog said:

I don't even know how the SEC is considered overrated - everyone has been saying they're the worst conference America for a decade...Any time the SEC loses an OOC game everyone falls all over themselves to announce the demise of the SEC.
    So you don't get ESPN then.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Secfans said:

'Bama is not the SEC. However a 14 team SEC has A SINGLE TEAM WITH more than eight wins. A twelve team Pac 12 has five teams with at least 9 wins.

Since you are, you know, from the south - I will do the math for you...

So, yes, there is a chance that 'Bama (while a giant among midgets) is not totally unbeatable by a real team.

What in the world does that have to do with anything? You have a bunch of teams who beat a bunch of trash PAC12 teams to get to a 9 win record. Since you're from, you know, the northwest...let me explain football to you. I'll even break down the math for you using my engineering degree.

*** I noticed you include Utah in that group of "9 win teams" even though their 9th win came in a bowl and only one of the SEC's 5 8+ win teams have played their bowls so far...and LSU had to cancel their game with South AL that would have been a 6th 8 win team yet to play a bowl.

9 win teams UW played:

Stanford (9-3). Stanford opened with two wins over KSU and USC. Then went on to get wins against SEVEN CONSECUTIVE TEAMS with losing records. S-E-V-E-N. That's pitiful. They have 9 wins because they beat a bunch of teams everyone else beat. Including a one score win over ND and a nice season ender against Rice.

Colorado (10-4). 7 of Colorado's 10 wins were against 6 teams with losing records and 7-6 Colorado St. They also lost 45-28 to Michigan, and 38-8 to Okie St. They were 0-4 against the 4 good/decent teams they played this year.

USC (9-3). Ahh yes, the "resurgent" USC team who got their poo pushed in by Alabama to open the season. 7 of USC's 9 wins were against teams with losing records. After their 4 point win over a trash Colorado team, they finished the season against teams who averaged 4 wins this season, plus Washington. Woooooooooo. Before their win against Colorado, they beat 5-7 ASU, 4-8 Utah St, and had 3 losses. They good. They real real good.

Utah (9-4) Ahhh yes. Utah. EIGHT. E-I-G-H-T of Utahs 9 wins came against 6 teams with losing records, FCS Southern Utah, and a 1 point win over a BYU team who 5-7 Miss St took to overtime.

Now, let's have a look at Alabama shall we?

USC (9-3). We've already done them. They've beaten nobody besides UW in what may have been a fluke.

WKU (11-3). Beat the same trash Rice team by a wider margin than Stanford did. And a bunch of nobodies.

Tenn (8-4). Beat 6 teams with winning records, 1 trash FCS team, and 1 team with a losing record. Beat the crap out of ACC division winning Va Tech.

Texas A&M (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, 1 FCS, and 4 teams with losing records.

LSU (7-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, and Ole Miss (healthy Chad Kelly), FCS JVille St, 6-7 Miss St, and crappy Mizzou.

Auburn (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records, and Ole Miss w/a healthy Chad Kelly.

Florida (8-4). Beat 3 teams with winning records but honestly Florida is trash too. They won their division by default. Would probably be a 3 point favorite against Colorado.

So literally all of the 8 win conference wins for Bama won beat more teams with winning records than any of the 9+ conf wins for UW.

But congrats on all the 9 win teams. That extra conference game with a win over 5-7 cal or 3-9 Arizona is a really big deal!

None of this means UW is bad. UW beat the crap out of all these teams. It just means the PAC12 sucked this year.
    Neato math. Superficial analysis. Shit relevance.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Secfans said:

Sledog said:

where and who has done this

even the awful pac12 network doesn't do this
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "But it sure is fun painting millions of good people with the broad brush of 'dumb redneck' ain't it?"

Easy Chainsaw! You shouldnt disrespect your own like that.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Secfans said:

Passion said:

First of all, you're only showing how stupid you are if you think people in the south know football better than anyone else. There are two reasons the sec has been successful at football: 1) fertile recruiting ground; and 2) zero emphasis on academics.

Buzz off with this nonsense. Outside of Stanford, Northwestern, ND, Vandy, and a few others, EVERYONE offers the same players. Are PAC12 schools better, on average than SEC schools related to academics? Of course. But that doesn't mean the athletes are held to a higher academic standard. ESPECIALLY regarding entrance requirements.

In the Southeast, college football matters more. It just does. That's not a slight, the interests are just different. USC has one of the most front running fan bases in the history of the Americas. Hell you guys have had like 2-3 sellouts in 3 years. We have 100k at practice. We don't have the population density to have access to a lot of professional sports, so college football is top priority.
    Passion said:

Engineering degree from bama? LOL. So let me call on your prestigious engineering degree. What sense does it make to put so many of these structurally unsound dwellings in a region known for such extreme weather?

But it sure is fun painting millions of good people with the broad brush of 'dumb redneck' ain't it?

Yes.

Also, it's literally one of the worst states in the country by any metric you want to look at. But roll tide, baby!

• Options
    doogville said:

Also, it's literally one of the worst states in the country by any metric you want to look at. But roll tide, baby!

According to whom? What are these metrics? The ones that have you paying 900 grand for a 1400sq ft 3/2 rancher built in 1978? The one where you have a super long commute and pay super high property taxes? The one where you have snow half the year?

I lived in NYC last year for work for a number of months. I was with my family in about a 7 million dollar condo rent free. I couldn't wait to get back to Alabama. And I wasn't even paying the taxes.

People are different. People like different things. I wouldn't live in the state of Washington if you paid me. But then again, I also realize that things I like aren't for everyone.

• Options
    no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 760
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Secfans said:

doogville said:

According to whom? What are these metrics? The ones that have you paying 900 grand for a 1400sq ft 3/2 rancher built in 1978? The one where you have a super long commute and pay super high property taxes? The one where you have snow half the year?

I lived in NYC last year for work for a number of months. I was with my family in about a 7 million dollar condo rent free. I couldn't wait to get back to Alabama. And I wasn't even paying the taxes.

People are different. People like different things. I wouldn't live in the state of Washington if you paid me. But then again, I also realize that things I like aren't for everyone.

Washington isnt just seattle, FYI
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,897
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Secfans said:

Sledog said:

What the hell are you talking about? Everyone has said how it's way better than anything else for 10 years. ESPN and CBS fall over each other to say it's way better than anything - until this year when even they couldn't fool anyone.
  • Options
    no_uh said:

Washington isnt just seattle, FYI

Yeah, I understand geography. I wouldn't want to live in the state of Washington as a personal preference.

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dumb. just keep your mouth closed. everyone else on the team seems to be
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Secfans said:

Sledog said:

What the hell are you talking about? Everyone has said how it's way better than anything else for 10 years. ESPN and CBS fall over each other to say it's way better than anything - until this year when even they couldn't fool anyone.
    The SEC has the one team in America that doesn't suck, but still.
  • Options

The SEC has the one team in America that doesn't suck, but still.

Who doesn't suck in the PAC12 besides UW? Please don't say USC because they beat a bunch of 4-8 teams to end the season...