Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TSIO Episode #26: Peach Bowl Preview

We preview the Peach Bowl. This podcast was recorded in front of a live studio audience (special guest revealed at some point in the pod, spoiler alert, it was @Gladstone), our first in person podcast. Dennis is as you would expect, depressed, and compares this game to taking a train to a very fun place. Tequilla nerds out on how we can win. And I try to remain in a safe place to avoid the pain. Recruiting talk at the end as well as some coaching carousel shit.

We hope you enjoy, and fuck you @SpoonieLuv

traffic.libsyn.com/tsiopodcast/TSIO_-_Midnight_Train_to_Georgia-schwitz.m4a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXvnZH-ljs

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,911
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Podcasting macht frei
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    @TommySQC you might have gotten a shout out...
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Pepsi may or may not have been sucking his thumb while trying to find his safe place during the pod
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    you have to send extra guys on bama. run blitzing and sending guys off of the edges. Hurts panics and can be careless with the ball. expecting our edges to hold up in the run game is to much. but I think we? can hold up on the back end if we? send guys
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    it also needs to be containment blitzes, like what teams do on Russell Wilson.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    @dhdawg

I agree that we need to vary our looks and really make sure we contain the perimeter on them whether it is Hurts in the run game and the WR screen game

I like our chances to slow down the middle run and Hurts throwing down the field
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

@dhdawg

I agree that we need to vary our looks and really make sure we contain the perimeter on them whether it is Hurts in the run game and the WR screen game

I like our chances to slow down the middle run and Hurts throwing down the field

Budda is incredible in the screen game. That is one of the strength's of the defense.

All 3 ILB's and Budda are very good blitzers. Hopefully we can put pressure on Hurts and get him to fuck up a couple of times.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,833
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequila gets the basketball IMA reference in there
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wow TSIO works for @89ute and not the other way around

If they would have played Brown Sugar like I asked I would agree with your statement.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Just need to Potatoes OBrian and Pslam Pooching to not play like complete ass
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @Tequilla I feel kind of bad for you, your mates would not even entertain the thought that Worshington has a glimmer of hope. I respect your research and analysis, but then again, no one wants to hear a bunch of homer shit so I guess it's good @Dennis_DeYoung was in an oxy depression fueled with rum. I'm not saying you are a homer, but even with your desire to talk about how a Worshington win is possible your counterparts kept yanking the outlook to less than zero.

If Jake has been playing hurt and now he's healed I think Worshington has a punchers chance.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2016
    89ute said:

@Tequilla I feel kind of bad for you, your mates would not even entertain the thought that Worshington has a glimmer of hope. I respect your research and analysis, but then again, no one wants to hear a bunch of homer shit so I guess it's good @Dennis_DeYoung was in an oxy depression fueled with rum. I'm not saying you are a homer, but even with your desire to talk about how a Worshington win is possible your counterparts kept yanking the outlook to less than zero.

If Jake has been playing hurt and now he's healed I think Worshington has a punchers chance.

Tequilla is a huge doog. It's okay to say it. That said, I think we have a chance too. This is a GOOD Washington team.
  • Options
    @Dennis_DeYoung is an asshole ... @CokeGreaterThanPepsi has a lifetime of PTSD from watching bad UW football. I don't blame them.

My greatest fear for the game is that the OL plays about as well as the Seahawks did in the 1st half ... if that happens then it gets ugly quickly.

Defensively I'm not particularly worried about Bama's just flat out middle run or throwing down the field. Our DBs are great tacklers in space so I like our chances against Bama's middle screen game. Hurts running on the outside gives me a little bit of pause as that's where I see them attacking us the most along with jet sweeps.

Offensively, we have to be able to run the football at least enough to have it respected. The pod made a very important point that goes back to the Stanford game in that we have to value 1st downs. Even on a drive that starts at the 25 or 30 yard line ... get 2 first downs to get to midfield ... even if we punt there we're forcing Bama to have to go 80+ yards against us. Punts are not a bad thing in this game. Have to value 1st downs and field position. We CAN NOT win a high scoring game here because to do so would require us to have enough time to throw deep routes ... which we won't be able to do.

More importantly offensively, we have to break tendencies and really confuse Alabama with our motions, shifts, and formations. Dennis hit on a very important thought in potentially trying to spark the run game by getting some unbalanced lines (possibly through motion/shifts). Our deep passing game needs to be a changeup once Alabama starts crashing down and not what we're relying on to move the ball ... there won't be time to run too many of the deep crosses, etc. that we've relied upon this year. We have to show Bama things that they have seen on film and then have somebody go against the flow. Quick WR screens and quick outs IS NOT the way to get to the Alabama defense ... they'll prey on that for a quick score.

The total offense target for the game needs to be in the 300 to 350 yard range ... if we can get to that range, we'll have a great shot to win (Alabama has only allowed 2 teams this year to get to that number - Ole Miss and Arkansas). We need to be in the 35 carries for 125 yard range and then in the 18-27 or something like that range for 175-225 yards with no turnovers. I think that we'll be able to hold Alabama in the 350-400 yard range. The key is that we're going to have to create turnovers. We need an easy score whether it comes from a turnover or special teams. We will need to win the turnover battle by at least +2 (Alabama has been -1 in turnover margin 5 different games this year).

I'm realistic enough to know that the path to winning is not going to be easy. If we play this game 10 times Alabama is going to win at least 7 or 8 of them. But as I said on the pod, there have been many greater upsets in sports historically and specifically the UW program has a long history of winning these types of games while embracing the challenge. I do think it's going to be a far closer game than most think and this Washington has to play a perfect game to even be in the game type of talk will be a very motivating factor for us to come out and play hard to start.
  • Options

89ute said:

Tequilla is a huge doog. It's okay to say it. That said, I think we have a chance too. This is a GOOD Washington team.
    I'm realistic about UW's chances and understanding what is going on ... there are paths to victory. I'm an optimist at heart and always prefer to look at how things can be done versus why they won't be done.

You like to throw around the term DOOG as a massive slam ... what's amusing is how much of a DOOG you are right now. I'd encourage you to temper your name calling at this point because you haven't shown an ability to own up to your own words from the past very well.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

@Dennis_DeYoung is an asshole ... @CokeGreaterThanPepsi has a lifetime of PTSD from watching bad UW football. I don't blame them.

My greatest fear for the game is that the OL plays about as well as the Seahawks did in the 1st half ... if that happens then it gets ugly quickly.

Defensively I'm not particularly worried about Bama's just flat out middle run or throwing down the field. Our DBs are great tacklers in space so I like our chances against Bama's middle screen game. Hurts running on the outside gives me a little bit of pause as that's where I see them attacking us the most along with jet sweeps.

Offensively, we have to be able to run the football at least enough to have it respected. The pod made a very important point that goes back to the Stanford game in that we have to value 1st downs. Even on a drive that starts at the 25 or 30 yard line ... get 2 first downs to get to midfield ... even if we punt there we're forcing Bama to have to go 80+ yards against us. Punts are not a bad thing in this game. Have to value 1st downs and field position. We CAN NOT win a high scoring game here because to do so would require us to have enough time to throw deep routes ... which we won't be able to do.

More importantly offensively, we have to break tendencies and really confuse Alabama with our motions, shifts, and formations. Dennis hit on a very important thought in potentially trying to spark the run game by getting some unbalanced lines (possibly through motion/shifts). Our deep passing game needs to be a changeup once Alabama starts crashing down and not what we're relying on to move the ball ... there won't be time to run too many of the deep crosses, etc. that we've relied upon this year. We have to show Bama things that they have seen on film and then have somebody go against the flow. Quick WR screens and quick outs IS NOT the way to get to the Alabama defense ... they'll prey on that for a quick score.

The total offense target for the game needs to be in the 300 to 350 yard range ... if we can get to that range, we'll have a great shot to win (Alabama has only allowed 2 teams this year to get to that number - Ole Miss and Arkansas). We need to be in the 35 carries for 125 yard range and then in the 18-27 or something like that range for 175-225 yards with no turnovers. I think that we'll be able to hold Alabama in the 350-400 yard range. The key is that we're going to have to create turnovers. We need an easy score whether it comes from a turnover or special teams. We will need to win the turnover battle by at least +2 (Alabama has been -1 in turnover margin 5 different games this year).

I'm realistic enough to know that the path to winning is not going to be easy. If we play this game 10 times Alabama is going to win at least 7 or 8 of them. But as I said on the pod, there have been many greater upsets in sports historically and specifically the UW program has a long history of winning these types of games while embracing the challenge. I do think it's going to be a far closer game than most think and this Washington has to play a perfect game to even be in the game type of talk will be a very motivating factor for us to come out and play hard to start.

whoa, 3.5 yards per carry? Yeah, that would get it done for sure. Alabama gives up an average of 2.03. I know you know the answer so I'll just ask rather than look it up. What's the most yards per carry they have given up this year?
  • Options
    89ute said:

Tequilla said:

whoa, 3.5 yards per carry? Yeah, that would get it done for sure. Alabama gives up an average of 2.03. I know you know the answer so I'll just ask rather than look it up. What's the most yards per carry they have given up this year?
    33 for 101 (3.1 yards per carry) against Ole Miss and 38 for 114 (3.0 yards per carry) against Texas A&M. The sack totals really add up here.

In the 7 games that Alabama has lost from 2011 forward, they have given up an average of 4.4 yards per carry in those games.

I'm figuring that we can be on the high end of the totals this year ... I don't think we have to be in the 4-5 yard per carry range to win the game as we'll take some sacks, etc.

What I'd be looking for from Gaskin is something in the 20 for 80 yards with another 4 catches for 35 yards ... and get Coleman somewhere in the 8 for 30 with another 2 catches for 15 yards ... that's probably the maximum of my expectations for the running backs. It will also be very important for Jake to be able to step inside the outside rush and find an outlet (which he is really good at) and take the 5-6 yards that he may be able to get in those situations IF there isn't a break in the coverages down the field.

The game really does come down to how well our OL plays ... if it holds its own I think we've got as many explosive options if not more than what Alabama has and a better opportunity to take advantage of them. We just need the OL to play well enough to help us win.