Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TSIO Episode #26: Peach Bowl Preview

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2016
    Agree with Tequilla on the path to victory. 23-20 or 20-17 with a couple of turnovers converted into short field td's. I think it's very possible.
    We will not beat them in a high scoring game.
    It really just comes down to browning and how effective we can be blitzing hurts
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

Agree with Tequilla on the path to victory. 23-20 or 20-17 with a couple of turnovers converted into short field td's. I think it's very possible.
    We will not beat them in a high scoring game.
    It really just comes down to browning and how effective we can be blitzing hurts

Jake isn't gong to win this game a la Vince Young, but I can see where he can lose it with poor play. He seems to me to be a typical Petersen type QB (Kellen Moore). I'd like to see him have a solid game, I think that's all Worshington needs coupled with everyone else playing well. Play a clean game and just about anything can happen.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,833
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited December 2016
    I've dooged it up to Coker levels in the past three weeks. 20% seems about right. The day the BCS came out, it was more like 8%. Bammer is the team that gave up 37 to 5-7 Ole Miss. Yes, they're formidable. No, they're not invincible.
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    By game time I'm gonna Doog myself into thinking we will win I'll probably bet a shitload on the moneyline. Sometimes people don't learn from mistakes.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Tequilla said:

89ute said:

Tequilla said:

@Dennis_DeYoung is an asshole ... @CokeGreaterThanPepsi has a lifetime of PTSD from watching bad UW football. I don't blame them.

My greatest fear for the game is that the OL plays about as well as the Seahawks did in the 1st half ... if that happens then it gets ugly quickly.

Defensively I'm not particularly worried about Bama's just flat out middle run or throwing down the field. Our DBs are great tacklers in space so I like our chances against Bama's middle screen game. Hurts running on the outside gives me a little bit of pause as that's where I see them attacking us the most along with jet sweeps.

Offensively, we have to be able to run the football at least enough to have it respected. The pod made a very important point that goes back to the Stanford game in that we have to value 1st downs. Even on a drive that starts at the 25 or 30 yard line ... get 2 first downs to get to midfield ... even if we punt there we're forcing Bama to have to go 80+ yards against us. Punts are not a bad thing in this game. Have to value 1st downs and field position. We CAN NOT win a high scoring game here because to do so would require us to have enough time to throw deep routes ... which we won't be able to do.

More importantly offensively, we have to break tendencies and really confuse Alabama with our motions, shifts, and formations. Dennis hit on a very important thought in potentially trying to spark the run game by getting some unbalanced lines (possibly through motion/shifts). Our deep passing game needs to be a changeup once Alabama starts crashing down and not what we're relying on to move the ball ... there won't be time to run too many of the deep crosses, etc. that we've relied upon this year. We have to show Bama things that they have seen on film and then have somebody go against the flow. Quick WR screens and quick outs IS NOT the way to get to the Alabama defense ... they'll prey on that for a quick score.

The total offense target for the game needs to be in the 300 to 350 yard range ... if we can get to that range, we'll have a great shot to win (Alabama has only allowed 2 teams this year to get to that number - Ole Miss and Arkansas). We need to be in the 35 carries for 125 yard range and then in the 18-27 or something like that range for 175-225 yards with no turnovers. I think that we'll be able to hold Alabama in the 350-400 yard range. The key is that we're going to have to create turnovers. We need an easy score whether it comes from a turnover or special teams. We will need to win the turnover battle by at least +2 (Alabama has been -1 in turnover margin 5 different games this year).

I'm realistic enough to know that the path to winning is not going to be easy. If we play this game 10 times Alabama is going to win at least 7 or 8 of them. But as I said on the pod, there have been many greater upsets in sports historically and specifically the UW program has a long history of winning these types of games while embracing the challenge. I do think it's going to be a far closer game than most think and this Washington has to play a perfect game to even be in the game type of talk will be a very motivating factor for us to come out and play hard to start.

whoa, 3.5 yards per carry? Yeah, that would get it done for sure. Alabama gives up an average of 2.03. I know you know the answer so I'll just ask rather than look it up. What's the most yards per carry they have given up this year?
    33 for 101 (3.1 yards per carry) against Ole Miss and 38 for 114 (3.0 yards per carry) against Texas A&M. The sack totals really add up here.

In the 7 games that Alabama has lost from 2011 forward, they have given up an average of 4.4 yards per carry in those games.

I'm figuring that we can be on the high end of the totals this year ... I don't think we have to be in the 4-5 yard per carry range to win the game as we'll take some sacks, etc.

What I'd be looking for from Gaskin is something in the 20 for 80 yards with another 4 catches for 35 yards ... and get Coleman somewhere in the 8 for 30 with another 2 catches for 15 yards ... that's probably the maximum of my expectations for the running backs. It will also be very important for Jake to be able to step inside the outside rush and find an outlet (which he is really good at) and take the 5-6 yards that he may be able to get in those situations IF there isn't a break in the coverages down the field.

The game really does come down to how well our OL plays ... if it holds its own I think we've got as many explosive options if not more than what Alabama has and a better opportunity to take advantage of them. We just need the OL to play well enough to help us win.
    I want us to lose just so I can be right!!!
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

89ute said:

Tequilla said:

@Dennis_DeYoung is an asshole ... @CokeGreaterThanPepsi has a lifetime of PTSD from watching bad UW football. I don't blame them.

My greatest fear for the game is that the OL plays about as well as the Seahawks did in the 1st half ... if that happens then it gets ugly quickly.

Defensively I'm not particularly worried about Bama's just flat out middle run or throwing down the field. Our DBs are great tacklers in space so I like our chances against Bama's middle screen game. Hurts running on the outside gives me a little bit of pause as that's where I see them attacking us the most along with jet sweeps.

Offensively, we have to be able to run the football at least enough to have it respected. The pod made a very important point that goes back to the Stanford game in that we have to value 1st downs. Even on a drive that starts at the 25 or 30 yard line ... get 2 first downs to get to midfield ... even if we punt there we're forcing Bama to have to go 80+ yards against us. Punts are not a bad thing in this game. Have to value 1st downs and field position. We CAN NOT win a high scoring game here because to do so would require us to have enough time to throw deep routes ... which we won't be able to do.

More importantly offensively, we have to break tendencies and really confuse Alabama with our motions, shifts, and formations. Dennis hit on a very important thought in potentially trying to spark the run game by getting some unbalanced lines (possibly through motion/shifts). Our deep passing game needs to be a changeup once Alabama starts crashing down and not what we're relying on to move the ball ... there won't be time to run too many of the deep crosses, etc. that we've relied upon this year. We have to show Bama things that they have seen on film and then have somebody go against the flow. Quick WR screens and quick outs IS NOT the way to get to the Alabama defense ... they'll prey on that for a quick score.

The total offense target for the game needs to be in the 300 to 350 yard range ... if we can get to that range, we'll have a great shot to win (Alabama has only allowed 2 teams this year to get to that number - Ole Miss and Arkansas). We need to be in the 35 carries for 125 yard range and then in the 18-27 or something like that range for 175-225 yards with no turnovers. I think that we'll be able to hold Alabama in the 350-400 yard range. The key is that we're going to have to create turnovers. We need an easy score whether it comes from a turnover or special teams. We will need to win the turnover battle by at least +2 (Alabama has been -1 in turnover margin 5 different games this year).

I'm realistic enough to know that the path to winning is not going to be easy. If we play this game 10 times Alabama is going to win at least 7 or 8 of them. But as I said on the pod, there have been many greater upsets in sports historically and specifically the UW program has a long history of winning these types of games while embracing the challenge. I do think it's going to be a far closer game than most think and this Washington has to play a perfect game to even be in the game type of talk will be a very motivating factor for us to come out and play hard to start.

whoa, 3.5 yards per carry? Yeah, that would get it done for sure. Alabama gives up an average of 2.03. I know you know the answer so I'll just ask rather than look it up. What's the most yards per carry they have given up this year?
    33 for 101 (3.1 yards per carry) against Ole Miss and 38 for 114 (3.0 yards per carry) against Texas A&M. The sack totals really add up here.

In the 7 games that Alabama has lost from 2011 forward, they have given up an average of 4.4 yards per carry in those games.

I'm figuring that we can be on the high end of the totals this year ... I don't think we have to be in the 4-5 yard per carry range to win the game as we'll take some sacks, etc.

What I'd be looking for from Gaskin is something in the 20 for 80 yards with another 4 catches for 35 yards ... and get Coleman somewhere in the 8 for 30 with another 2 catches for 15 yards ... that's probably the maximum of my expectations for the running backs. It will also be very important for Jake to be able to step inside the outside rush and find an outlet (which he is really good at) and take the 5-6 yards that he may be able to get in those situations IF there isn't a break in the coverages down the field.

The game really does come down to how well our OL plays ... if it holds its own I think we've got as many explosive options if not more than what Alabama has and a better opportunity to take advantage of them. We just need the OL to play well enough to help us win.
    You are the worst!!!
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

89ute said:

Tequilla said:

You are the worst!!!
    If you were a real fan...
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    "We need QBs who look like Jacob Sirmon"

DJ trigger warning
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2016
    absolutely agree on gaskin watching bama. Coleman in the power run will be worthless. gaskin is our best bet to get through whatever space exists quickly and can fit through smaller spaces
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCQqytjwfvc

This is basically how this game plays out. Guess which team Alabama is...hint: it's not the one with Peterson on it's sideline.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Agreed. Great podcast.

This may have been the best TSIO to date. I've commented before on the emotional highs and lows of the pod previously and this one took it to a new level. Can't get much darker than the Midnight Train to Auschwitz, GA analogy, but the Dooging for 2017 and beyond ended things on a more joyous note. I'm pumped to be in the Dirty South on the 3% chance we pull of the NYE miracle. And thanks for squeezing in, at least, one cousin fucker banjo track in the playlist.

• Options

Also the staggering abundance of choo, choo train themed songs was fucking hilarious.

Every song was train themed or mentioned trains prominently.
  • Options
    Looks like Babushka may be listening to the pod (in the 9:00+ minute mark) in talking about importance of getting 1st downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIbKJIQs8Y4
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    No worries guys. When Gaskin and Coleman get shut down, Jake Browning will win the game single-handedly.
  • Options
    salemcoog said:

No worries guys. When Gaskin and Coleman get shut down, Jake Browning will win the game single-handedly.

I know it is hard for a Coug to understand what the importance of the running game is ... but to win the game UW doesn't need the running game to be 35 carries for 200 yards (not that that wouldn't be nice) ... it needs to be strong enough to get positive gains to keep Alabama off balance, create 3rd and short/medium situations, and shorten the game.

As I've said a few times, if UW can end the game in the 35 carries for 125-135 yard range, I will really like my chances at UW coming out with a victory.