Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TSIO Christmas Special: Bama Humbug

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Always on the rocks ... I'm not a huge salt guy

LoneStarDawg is dialed in to the frozen w/ salt like any true Texan.
    Frozen makes me drink too slow or risk brainfreeze, and also melts faster and dillutes, thus rocks and salt for me.

Why salt is necessary, A good marg is made with fresh lime and minimal sugar so its tangy as fuck and the salt cuts the sourness.
    All valid points ...

I like a little tang to my margaritas ... and for full disclosure my salt aversion is way more than just margaritas ... I use way less salt seasoning foods than most (rely more on pepper and cumin as a starting point)

I have nothing against those that like a little salt on their rim jobs
  • Options
    HHBruhHHBruh Member Posts: 497
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I thought this thread was going to be about a Podcast
  • Options
    HHBruhHHBruh Member Posts: 497
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Blasphemy. Fucking blasphemous blasphemy. Thank you!

Who cast Coke as the drunk?
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @Tequilla @Dennis_DeYoung @CokeGreaterThanPepsi When are you fine gentlemen dropping your pregame pod?
  • Options

Let's pretend I listened to this.

One of the best things to come from this site in a long time. Seriously great work @WilburHooksHands and TSIO crew.

I'll be playing this to my kids each Bowel game eve for the forseable future.

We'll pretend that we THINK and CARE
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I like my margs made with st Germaine elderflower liquor. Otherwise agave is a fine sweetener. But St Germaine is where it's at. @Dennis_DeYoung I'd love for you to opine.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    AEB said:

I like my margs made with st Germaine elderflower liquor. Otherwise agave is a fine sweetener. But St Germaine is where it's at. @Dennis_DeYoung I'd love for you to opine.

St Germaine is for chicks.

Margs are best with some mescal and agave works really well; also, Cointreau is a must. No fucking generic triple sec (Cointreau is 40% ABV, cheap shit is often 10-15%). Fresh juice a must.

Marg mix will get you lit on fire around me.

When it's time to go out, though?

As a former DFW superiority dude, I like Javier's Margs. I prefer rocks and salt.

I like frozen salt as well, esp at Mi Cocina. Mariano's is bullshit, but Gloria's is fine and if you want diabetes and a good time you can't beat El Ranchito.

I also like an IV that only has tequila.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

AEB said:

Margs are best with some mescal and agave works really well; also, Cointreau is a must. No fucking generic triple sec (Cointreau is 40% ABV, cheap shit is often 10-15%). Fresh juice a must.

As a former DFW superiority dude, I like Javier's Margs. I prefer rocks and salt.

I like frozen salt as well, esp at Mi Cocina. Mariano's is bullshit, but Gloria's is fine and if you want diabetes and a good time you can't beat El Ranchito.

Recepie?
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

AEB said:

Lillet is for chicks. Pants dropper. Agree on the Cointreau. Triple sec is shit. Fresh juice a must. St Germaine gives a little floral something I like.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

AEB said:

Recepie?
    In ounces:

.75 Milagro Silver (or rep if you're a fag)
    .25 Vida Mescal
    1 Cointreau
    1 Lemon
    1 Lime (or two lime if you like)
    .5-.75 agave depending on taste.

If you want to go nuts, add a jalapeño into the tin.

This shit is mind blowing.

Also: Tommy's margs that don't include orange liqueur are not margs at all. To be a marg is FUCKING MUST contain orange liqueur.

This is because the original drink naming nomenclature used to call any sour (meaning booz with lemon or lime juice) drink that contained a measure of orange liqueur a "daisy" (gin daisy, cognac daisy, etc). And since the Marg is a "daisy" with tequila, people used the Spanish word for a daisy (the flower), which is...

Margarita.
    Good chit DDY. Thx
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Baseman said:

AEB said:

Recepie?
    In ounces:

.25 Vida Mescal
    1 Cointreau
    1 Lemon

Also: Tommy's margs that don't include orange liqueur are not margs at all. To be a marg is FUCKING MUST contain orange liqueur.

This is because the original drink naming nomenclature used to call any sour (meaning booz with lemon or lime juice) drink that contained a measure of orange liqueur a "daisy" (gin daisy, cognac daisy, etc). And since the Marg is a "daisy" with tequila, people used the Spanish word for a daisy (the flower), which is...

Margarita.
    Die in a fiery car crash.
  • Options

Baseman said:

AEB said:

Recepie?
    In ounces:

.25 Vida Mescal
    1 Cointreau
    1 Lemon

Margarita.
    Die in a fiery car crash.
    I've been trying!!
  • Options
    DDY loves Javier's because it's an overpriced Dallas Mexican joint that is a good place to be seen but produces some mediocre Mexican food by my taste ... the only redeeming element to Javier's is that it has a cigar room ... so that's nice. Gloria's has always been my favorite place in Dallas proper ... you have to go to Joe T Garcia's when in Ft Worth.

Margaritas are to each their own ...

DDY is right that the best way to drink a margarita is when it is fresh ... lime juice is a must ... Cointreau is huge if you are doing it right. And always go with clear tequila ... it's much smoother in my opinion.

Where Dennis and I probably disagree is that while I prefer the higher end margarita, I don't often want to put the effort into making it. I'm perfectly content with tequila, triple sec, and mix. Can you taste the difference? Of course. But when you're just hanging around the house and looking for a quick drink, there you go. When trying to impress, hosting, etc., then go out of your way for the good stuff.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

DDY loves Javier's because it's an overpriced Dallas Mexican joint that is a good place to be seen but produces some mediocre Mexican food by my taste ... the only redeeming element to Javier's is that it has a cigar room ... so that's nice. Gloria's has always been my favorite place in Dallas proper ... you have to go to Joe T Garcia's when in Ft Worth.

Margaritas are to each their own ...

DDY is right that the best way to drink a margarita is when it is fresh ... lime juice is a must ... Cointreau is huge if you are doing it right. And always go with clear tequila ... it's much smoother in my opinion.

Where Dennis and I probably disagree is that while I prefer the higher end margarita, I don't often want to put the effort into making it. I'm perfectly content with tequila, triple sec, and mix. Can you taste the difference? Of course. But when you're just hanging around the house and looking for a quick drink, there you go. When trying to impress, hosting, etc., then go out of your way for the good stuff.

Bingo.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    The best Mexican restaurant in Texas is the original Ninfas location. Other Mexican restaurants can get back to me when they invent fajitas.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,118
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    There's about to be a houston vs dallas fajita war. Houston on average is better, but dallas has some spots.

Ninfa's green sauce is what dreams are made of, can also be found at Los cucos.

Dallas invented brisket tacos, best spots
    Mia's - the original
    Frankie's (collin co superiority guy hot take)
    Manny's uptown
    Matt's in lakewood
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Fajita wars? Who knew such a thing could exist? Fuck margaritas, tequila and I don't mix well. But I love fa-ginas. And San Diego style burritos.