Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Some updates on the board

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
edited December 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
Well it has been an interesting December to say the least. Here are some updates off the top of my head...

For starters, we're on pace for 1.7 million page views for December. This would set a Hardcore Husky record for the third month in a row. That part is good.

The advertising with EBSports ended up being a big disappointment. There were only three packages sold to Atlanta, and ultimately the tour got cancelled because of lack of interest. Based on projections I had been extremely hopeful that this endeavor would fund our website well into 2018. It ended up being much wasted time and effort that resulted in nothing.

EBSports said when it was announced that the destination was Atlanta and not Phoenix, they knew we were dead in the water. I suspect that was 81% of it, along with a few other factors. The $2,200 price tag was certainly steep.

So we're back to where we were at previously. As it stands right now, we're funded through late May or June 2017. The next fundraiser is scheduled for August.

Our traffic numbers are really good but it is difficult finding advertisers who aren't bothered by our profanity and disturbing gifs. It has been recommended to me repeatedly to put rules into place to limit profanity and boorish behavior. I have been told that securing advertisers would then be a piece of cake. But that is one area I will not compromise. Our profanity and sophomoric hijinks, intermixed with knowledgeable football talk, is the DNA of our community. If you take that away and enforce strict rules, we become more or less like Dawgman.

In talking with an advertising agency, they said if we were getting 10-20 million page views a month it would be much easier to get advertisers signed on, even with the environment we have. So it seems at the moment we're in a type of no man's land. But I'll keep searching.

And that doesn't mean we don't have advertisers approaching, because we do. About every 4-6 weeks I get some fly-by-night company wanting to advertise here. But I have certain requirements they must fulfill before moving past go. For example, right now I'm dealing with someone who is representing a company, but they don't want to tell me who the company is. They want my numbers and projections before they'll tell me. Conversation over. I've had a company want me to let them advertise free for a month to see how it will go, and then pay me some undisclosed amount. Conversation over. And there was a company that wanted to advertise for a paltry $50 a month, but wanted to see the ad up for a week before agreeing to hand over such a large amount of funds. (As if I was going to pocket the $50 and flee to Canada). Conversation over.

So for the time being, we will soldier on, reliant upon our loyal degenerates to donate and keep afloat our pirate ship.

Most days I feel blessed that we have our little community here. But yesterday was not one of those days. I had to hand out multiple warnings about inappropriate postings (which came from longtime posters who know better and did it anyway). I received a PM from a poster mouthing off like I'm a parent and they're a bratty 12 year old. I received a PM from someone threatening to post an image of a lynched black man, which would somehow stick it to me for being such a lousy admin in their eyes, I guess.

Days like yesterday, I wonder what I'm doing here. And it leads me to consider some guidelines for PM communications.

But most days are a blessing, and most of you degenerates mind the rules and fit in perfectly here.

As we head into 2017, I have other ideas to implement as Hardcore Husky "matures" and evolves. We've come a long way in four short years.

I'm also kicking around the idea of revising my book Husky Football in the Don James Era. The first two hardcover printings sold out years ago, and it's currently available via Kindle or Nook. But I can envision a dynamic third edition. I have talked with other former players with insights to add, and juicy stories to tell. I'm also a better writer than I was when I wrote it back in 2005-2006. If I do this, it would be timed to come out prior to the 2017 season. But I haven't made up mind yet. I've been mulling it over for months.

Anyway, here's to a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for all of you.

Let's go shock the world by beating Bama and winning the natty. And then, as Race Bannon said, we can get back to our offseason jokes and banter.

Derek "Stalin" Johnson

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Here are my thoughts. Fuck off in advance.

1) I think you should out the idiots who post obvious stuff that's not allowed then get butthurt when called out. We are all adults here, well except BTP.

2) You should clean up the recruiting board regardless. Create 2 announcement posts at the top for each recruiting class, one to track commits and the other for prospects. Just basic info for each recruit and a link to their Hudl.

3) If your goal is to just cover costs, let the rest of the site be as is. If you goal to to actually make money here, it has to be cleaned up. You can be on the edge, so move the needle some. You'll have some whiney idiots that'll complain, but it's needed for the site to grow.

4) Your book....I suggest rather than rehash an old book. Write a new one. Maybe put it in sections by years. Such as pre Dawgfather, Dawgfather years, post James let down, the Apocalypse, the revival. See if you can dig up old timers for the beginning years to interview. Not sure your relationship with the current team, but see if you can interview Petersen. See if you can talk with a few players, discuss what it's like being a husky. There is nothing out there really with the whole history of husky football. Even tho I roast your balls, and you aren't a technically gifted writer, you do have interesting stories and a new book would do well if marketed right.

5) Profit.

Really would be cool for the site to grow more than it is and you to make actual money (yes I still have to donate this year). What are the stats by unique users rather than page views? Break it down by year, I'd be curious.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,566
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

Here are my thoughts. Fuck off in advance.

1) I think you should out the idiots who post obvious stuff that's not allowed then get butthurt when called out. We are all adults here, well except BTP.

2) You should clean up the recruiting board regardless. Create 2 announcement posts at the top for each recruiting class, one to track commits and the other for prospects. Just basic info for each recruit and a link to their Hudl.

3) If your goal is to just cover costs, let the rest of the site be as is. If you goal to to actually make money here, it has to be cleaned up. You can be on the edge, so move the needle some. You'll have some whiney idiots that'll complain, but it's needed for the site to grow.

4) Your book....I suggest rather than rehash an old book. Write a new one. Maybe put it in sections by years. Such as pre Dawgfather, Dawgfather years, post James let down, the Apocalypse, the revival. See if you can dig up old timers for the beginning years to interview. Not sure your relationship with the current team, but see if you can interview Petersen. See if you can talk with a few players, discuss what it's like being a husky. There is nothing out there really with the whole history of husky football. Even tho I roast your balls, and you aren't a technically gifted writer, you do have interesting stories and a new book would do well if marketed right.

5) Profit.

Really would be cool for the site to grow more than it is and you to make actual money (yes I still have to donate this year). What are the stats by unique users rather than page views? Break it down by year, I'd be curious.

dr
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    more sammiches
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2016
    You could put out a call for volunteer moderators to take some of the tedious work off your plate when they are online. You wouldn't have to spend as much time babysitting the children.
  • Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    How about a book about Sark?

Oh wait that already exists.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyJW said:

Derek,

I am sorry the packages fell through and was a waste of your time. With the internet today and all the different travel sites, I can create my own package in less than two minutes, so people nowadays know a ripoff when they see one. Unless you are Race's age and hate money you should never buy one of these tour packages...ever.

This place is phenomenal and the outlet you provide here is nothing short of fantastic. Let's keep the fundraising drive going (easy for me to say I'm not running this site). If companies don't want to be associated with HH because we tell people to "drink bleach"...well, they can drink gasoline and light a match.

I've learned a lot about Husky football being on here...I've come a long ways as a fan and I have met some great people.

And I agree with 2001400ex....people need to start being called out.

I put my package together the Sunday of the announcement. The package was a bargain compared to the first class trip I've planned. At my age you go in luxury or you don't go
  • Options
    Founders Club
    You can find it on the front page or donate here:

https://paypal.me/hardcorehusky
    Be sure to include your handle for credit

For mailing checks and cash:

Derek Johnson
    PO Box 8298
    Port Orchard, WA 98366

thank you
    Derek
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Primesport, the company that runs the tour packages for the UW Alumni Association, contacted me 10-12 days ago wanting to advertise on Hardcore Husky for the Peach Bowl. I told them that I didn't want to play both sides of the fence with EBSports, and wanted to remain loyal to them. In retrospect, maybe I should have done it anyway and not have been so idealistic.

Oh well, live and learn.

And to answer Hondo, I have two goals. First step is to get this place where it's completely self-sustaining. The second goal would then be to generate a profit and find new ways to add value to the readers. But first things first.

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Primesport, the company that runs the tour packages for the UW Alumni Association, contacted me 10-12 days ago wanting to advertise on Hardcore Husky for the Peach Bowl. I told them that I didn't want to play both sides of the fence with EBSports, and wanted to remain loyal to them. In retrospect, maybe I should have done it anyway and not have been so idealistic.

Oh well, live and learn.

And to answer Hondo, I have two goals. First step is to get this place where it's completely self-sustaining. The second goal would then be to generate a profit and find new ways to add value to the readers. But first things first.

Nebraska Classy.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2016
    What the site really needs is much more coverage of Central football. This would rachet the number of page hits well into the 10 million range.

But seriously, I think that about 30% - 50% of the page hits are from a small nucleus composed of half a dozen true OK! sociopaths and a half dozen sports nuts of the clinical variety. Personally I am not an asshole but the reality is that if you have almost no moderating then you get a lot of assholes hiding behind their anonymity, acting like tough guys in this environment, because this is the only type of place they can try to get away with it so as to compensate for their awful lives and low self esteem. that's just the way it works. The trolls will change but not the formula. Is there a spot on sports sites like this where you can hit a happy medium of "just enough" moderation? Probably not. So you are stuck in that spot where you get a enough hits but not enough moderation to attract respectable advertisers. It might be best to just adopt a minimum investment model, where you keep the board going but don't enhance, and don't develop more features, just use it as a platform for your book sales.